Sign in to follow this  
Brian

An Idyllic Location

just went through 200 pics of the School trip, could not find any bridges, lots of board walks and the likes.

Very intrigued now..

Maybe you were standing on the bridge taking all your pics.!! :dance

:naughty:

The only place where there will be a bridge over water, would be very close to the rivers edge.

There are lovely gardens there near the rivers edge

heres a pic

post-54-136713388206_thumb.jpg

Sue,

I will have to trawl through my pics of How Hill to see what I have, but if you were able to walk to the right of my picture, on the header display...just to the right of the dinghy, you would see a small wooden bridge that crosses the dyke close to the Marshmans, 'Toad Hole' cottage.

A good friend of mine, Robin Chenery, built many of the foot bridges, bird hides, walkways, quay headings, including the Reed cutters shed, again shown in the site header photo. From what he tells me, he mostly only ever had one man to help him.

He was responsible for many of the Northern and Trinity Broads wooden features.

Indeed, a very talented craftsman.

Regards

Clive.

Hello Sue,

Is the picture in your posting @ 2:17pm the same as the one shown in the book?

I have a feeling the bridge shown is in the section of garden that is only open to the public at certain times of the year.

Local Primary schools did have a day in the summertime when they were allowed to go on the nature trail into the private sector and they investigate the plant and water life within. My kids have both been in there, with my wife acting as a class helper.

She tells me it's fabulous when all the blooms are out in late spring.

I have yet to see them!

Will do my best to find out more.

Kind regards

Clive.

Edited for typo's as usual..

Hello Sue

I have just been on phone talking to my friend Robin at Martham.

The bridge shown in your picture is one of sixteen that he built and installed in the grounds of How Hill.

He tells me if you wish to see the exact bridge, you have to get a leaflet from Toad Hole Cottage Museum and pay a small amount as the entry fee to the woodland walkway. Exactly what the cost is, I'm not sure, but I would have thought anything up to a pound would suffice.

Maybe someone on here knows the exact cost??

The apex shaped bridge serves a special purpose as it allows the workers to move the large mud pump up and down the dyke without having to remove the bridge, as is the case with the flat bridges that were installed.

The the bridge crosses the dyke that leads into Cromes Broad.

Robin made a model of the bridge to show his bosses at the BA exactly what his idea looked like,and to gain their approval before building the real thing. I will be at his bungalow tomorrow and hopefully will take a pic of the model bridge. He decided to keep it as memento of his work.

I hope this helps clear the mystery.

Kind Regards

Clive.

Hello Sue,

Once I have the picture of the model I will post it on here. Next time I'm over at How Hill I will try to get into the walkway to see the real bridge....there is something about the photo you posted that makes me want to have a closer look.

Will get more information in the morning when down on the river at Martham.

Camera is armed and ready!! :):)

Kind Regards.

Clive.

Hi Sue,

Had a lovely afternoon down at Martham today and managed to get a few pics of your Bridge..albeit they are the model except the top pic, which I photographed, from a book he keeps of many of the Broads Features he is responsible for, not only the designs but the builds too.

Very interesting to listen to my friend Robin, who built masses of Broadland wooden features during his working life with

Great Yarmouth Port and Haven Commissioners and also the Broads Authority...he is a very talented craftsman.

He showed me pictures of beautiful wooden cruisers that he built single handedly, from the photo's, I would guess 37-40ft LOA

I will spend more time with him when possible, to copy some of his photo's and place them on here.

Hope you like the Baby Bridge, including the Lifeboat man. :lol::lol:

Kind Regards:

Clive.

post-160-136713388503_thumb.jpg

post-160-136713388512_thumb.jpg

post-160-136713388518_thumb.jpg

post-160-136713388524_thumb.jpg

Hi Sue,

I thought LOTR was some kind of Rock Band phrase...Loud,Obnoxious,Terrible, Row.

Sounds exactly the sort of stuff I like and love to play! :lol::lol:

Come back home Glenn if you see this!! This country needs you, or at least, I do!!

Who's Glenn? You will be asking?? :?:?:?

I'll go get me coat now.

Regards

Clive.

Sue,

Glad you liked the pics.

Typical of me to stray from the thread. I take it you meant Lord of The Rings, but my warped sense always twists things around for no reason.

Have a look on Google...just type in Glenn Hughes and you will see a host of sites dedicated to him.

He would be before your time in the music world...one of the bands' Glenn fronted, alongside Dave Coverdale was

old rockers Deep Purple.

Glenn was originally from not too great a distance (M6) from you,...he was from Cannock.

History lesson over from another Ex-midlander!!

Hope you get top see the Bridge in summer.

Regards:

Clive.

Cromes Broad.

:naughty:

Looks like i need another lesson on Broads. I have been to How hill many times with The Family, and have had a fantastic time exploring.

Have never come accross a Broad.

Marshman Welcome back my friend :)

Guest JoeReu   
Guest JoeReu

That looks beautiful! Can that be got to from the river at How Hill then?

looks very nice that might be a stop well visiting in august with the whole family should knacker the kids beyond moaning points cheers

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.