Sign in to follow this  
mbird

Any recommendations for a P&S?

We're in the market for a P&S camera at the mo. I've got my eye on a Panasonic Lumix TZ19 as it has an excellent optical zoom range, and also manual aperture & shutter speed settings. Any comments or alternatives I should be looking at?

I'm not a huge expert but, if you also fancy near DSLR image quality, why not a bridge camera such as the Fujifilm FinePix S4000? I had a Fuji of this sort prior to my Canon DSLR and the simple P&S quality was excellent! They also have full manual controls. Some good prices to be had on Amazon for example.

Trevor

www.normanboats.co.uk

The choice of point and shoot digitals is vast, but I find it surprising how few now incorporate simple optical eye level viewfinders in addition to the standard lcd on the back.

In bright sunlight they're so much easier to frame the subject with, are less obtrusive to use, and are much easier to hold steady (against the face).

I wouldn't consider one without, and that reduces the range of available models considerably.

Hi Mark,

Depends on what you want to spend, but going by the web forums, the frontrunners for quality and versatility seem to be Olympus XZ-1, Panasonic LX5 and Canon S95. The prices seem to vary wildly between different online suppliers.

We're in the market for a P&S camera at the mo. I've got my eye on a Panasonic Lumix TZ19 as it has an excellent optical zoom range, and also manual aperture & shutter speed settings. Any comments or alternatives I should be looking at?

:wave hi mbird ive got a panasonic TZ10 & it's a great camera, i don't have any problems with it at all & the zoom is great,it's got 12x zoom& it's really clear too,& it takes sd cards up to32GB,& has gps function & has program mode, aperture-priority mode, shutter-priority mode, & custom mode, & scene modes too, ie- portrait, macro, sunset, night scenery, night portrait landscape, & baby mode, & the video is excellent too,& has a built in memory of 15mb too, & i don't suffer much with glare as ive got a cover that you can stick on to the back which helps alot, here's a couple of pics of one,[attachment=1]cam 003.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]cam 004.JPG[/attachment] i bought mine from camera exchange. lori

Hi Mark. I don't know much about most of these cameras, because I haven't spent time researching them. However, I can tell you which ones the pro landscapers/fine art photographers tend to use as compacts/backups. In my experience they are most likely to use (excluding some of the exotic stuff like Leicas and the new Fuji x100) the Panasonic LX5 (including Joe Cornish, who is extremely complimentary about it); Panasonic GF1; Canon G11; and to a lesser extent the Olympus EP1.

It is a real minefield comparing features, prices etc. I use a 4 year old Ricoh GX100 as my compact, which produces images of publishable quality, so I am sure you will be fine with any of this up to date hardware. As always, the most important thing is the lens, which distinguishes the ones that the pros would use from the consumer models, which may have plenty of bells and whistles but average image quality. Good luck!

Bruce

http://www.brucecairns.com

http://www.NorfolkArtPlace.com

I guess a key question is "what size?". I use an old Canon G9 as my P&S - it was once my main camera so I just kept it when I bought the Olympus E-P2 for more serious (still very amateurish) work. Both are very good, and no doubt the G10/11/12 are better than the G9........but none are exactly compact or easy to fit in a normal pocket.

Hi Mark

We purchased a sony cyber shot HX9. seems to come out very well on trusted review (have a look on there before you buy a camara as it is good)

and if you get one you can show me how to use mine :grin:

cheers Barry

And once you've researched and purchased it, can you let me know which one 'cos I want one. :grin:

And once I've purchased could you include me in the Baz tuition on how to use (I know you love reading manuals and I don't ;) )

Lou xx

Well we finally made our minds up and went for the Sony HX9V. It seems to tiock all the boxes and gets good reviews. We've yet to try it out properly, but first impressions are very good!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.