PACIFIC CRUISERS

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, i`ve just seen Pacific cruisers "Swift" (also ex Maffett cruisers) up for sale in Waterside Marine`s website at £15,950, and was wondering if anybody knows if they are downsizing their fleet. Swift is still on their website, but with no new boats on there. Dan, you should know, any ideas?. Regards to all .................... Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Seems an odd one to sell given that those tend to let quite well, but there could be something exciting coming along?

Is there something you`re not telling us Jon :naughty::naughty:;);) ?. Seriously though, as you say, they let very well, so i would have thought it strange to get rid of Swift, instead of their old Calypso. It`ll be interresting to see if they do replace her with a bigger boat, though i would`nt have thought a small family yard like Pacific cruisers would have sufficient income to budget for anything like a brand new large cruiser?. Time will tell.

Is there something you`re not telling us Jon :naughty::naughty:;);) ?. Seriously though, as you say, they let very well, so i would have thought it strange to get rid of Swift, instead of their old Calypso. It`ll be interresting to see if they do replace her with a bigger boat, though i would`nt have thought a small family yard like Pacific cruisers would have sufficient income to budget for anything like a brand new large cruiser?. Time will tell.

The ex Conway Castle Bounty 27 Waterside were selling not long back has disappeared.... have they swapped her in for a newer model, or is there an impressive supersize replacement on its way....

Dan

Hi all, i`ve just seen Pacific cruisers "Swift" (also ex Maffett cruisers) up for sale in Waterside Marine`s website at £15,950, and was wondering if anybody knows if they are downsizing their fleet. Swift is still on their website, but with no new boats on there. Dan, you should know, any ideas?. Regards to all .................... Neil.

Neil, Hi

If they'd take a more compromising £ 12K then I'd thought you might be interested?

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Neil, Hi

If they'd take a more compromising £ 12K then I'd thought you might be interested?

I certainly would John. It would would make an ideal boat for Karen and i.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Dan, That`s a more realistic price, but i`ve never liked that particular layout with the small settee in the salloon. I looked at one of the old "Aston Scimitar" class (Seamaster 813) which had a very similar layout, and the settee was tiny, being only a one sided dinette. If you`re going cruising in the colder times, having to use the cockpit as a salloon area could get a tad cold, whereas the more traditional layout such as Swift is a lot more functional. As for the asking price, well it`s just that, an ASKING price, so it`s up to any prospective purchaser to try and negotiate a more realistic price.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

The ex Conway Castle Bounty 27 Waterside were selling not long back has disappeared.... have they swapped her in for a newer model, or is there an impressive supersize replacement on its way....

Dan

For your information Mr Horner, i`ve been reliably informed that`s EXACTLY what they have done ;););) .

I spoke to Fiona at Pacific earlier and can confirm that they have indeed bought the ex Conway Castle to replace Swift (AKA Chuggity Bob :) )

We had a look at the boat at Waterside a while ago and it looked very nice .... if I'd have had the money .... :naughty:

Never mind ... I now have the next best thing and have booked a week on what may now be called Pacific Conway (and possibly Chuggity Bob 2!) for next year. :dance:dance

Carol

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
I spoke to Fiona at Pacific earlier and can confirm that they have indeed bought the ex Conway Castle to replace Swift (AKA Chuggity Bob :) )

We had a look at the boat at Waterside a while ago and it looked very nice .... if I'd have had the money .... :naughty:

Never mind ... I now have the next best thing and have booked a week on what may now be called Pacific Conway (and possibly Chuggity Bob 2!) for next year. :dance:dance

Carol

Where on earth does "chuggity bob" come from.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Carol

Did you ever hire Swift Carol?.

Hmm - so what's the point in swapping one Bounty 27 for a slightly newer one? Wouldn't it have made more financial sense to refit Swift (a la Royall Courier perhaps)?

I guess it's a move forward of fifteen years and from a quite tired fitout on its last legs in hire suitability terms perhaps to a relatively modern untired one, from an old BMC to a Nanni... and the asking price was quite realiastic, so if they have moved forward for say £5k or so (must be something like that) re-engining Swift could probably have cost that alone, and to do a full refit, even when the interior is quite moulded as those are would be quite pricey (you could probably spend a thousand on a new cooker & fridge alone?), and I guess the other question is do they have the size of team and time to do all that work in addition to their normal work?

I think it has probably kept the fleet nicely balanced and a nice move forwards, though I hope they dont call it Pacific Conway as that sounds rather naff & nonsensical, and a little bit like what Herbert Woods were doing in the Funnell era which resulted in some bizarre names (whatever does Swan Light mean for example??)

Take care

Dan

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I know John at Maffetts put a fully (and i mean FULLY, not partially) refurbished engine in swift not long before they bought it from him, so there`s no need for a new engine for at least another 10 years. As for these new Nanni`s that are being fitted, we had one fitted to Grosvenor girl in 2008, and another new one fitted to Tower bridge last year, and to be honest, they were`nt very economical compared to a BMC or Perkins in good condition. The only thing wrong with Swift was that some of the woodwork inside needed re-varnishing, and the cushions possibly in need of re-upholstering. Personally, i agree with Simon, in as much as it seems to be a bit of a wasted excersie. The other thing that comes to mind is that if they can`t be bothered to to do something simple like re-varnish a relatively small amount of woodwork, just how much of any major work possibly does`nt get done. As for the work required not being justifiable, i think one look at Clives fleet with many boats around 40 years old being totally refurbished will prove that`s not the case, so a 20 year old Bounty would be well worth updating.

Swift needed rather more than just a coat of Varnish inside to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the fleet. We have hired Swift three times over recent years, the last time being May 2010. The Galley was actually earmarked to have a complete refit and the wood panelling between the dinette and the heads needed replacing. And yes ... the cushions could have done with a recover too. The extrerior (still original gel coat) was also really beginning to show it's age and is probably getting to the point where it would possibly need painting if it was to remain in a hire fleet. The engine was faultless and very economical. It is a great boat and, even though it may have been getting a bit tatty, was always well maintained mechanically. superbly equipped and was always clean. Pacific have many, many repeat customers as the service they provide is just superb. A really friendly, family run yard who always go the extra mile when it comes to customer service.

Clive has a whole team of people to carry out the refurbishment of their boats ..... as far as I am aware, Richard at Pacific does most of the work on their fleet himself. To carry out the regular winter maintenance on the entire fleet probably doesn't leave a great deal of time for a refit of Swift. It makes perfect sense to me that they should update to the ex Conway Castle. As I mentioned, it looks in superb condition for the money that was being asked for it and will be a real credit to their fleet. They have some very nice boats, but Swift was beginning to let them down appearance wise compared to the rest of the fleet.

I am also looking forward to seeing how the Nanni performs ......... we proved how economical they actually can when we hired Broadland Saturn for a week in October. Stalham to Dilham to Coltishall to Womack, Potter Heigham and Stokesby, then back to Stalham .... fuel used was £20.47 for the entire week! :o

Swift will make a great project boat for a new owner as it was basically a very sound boat.

Carol

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

"Swift" is now down to £14,500. The engine and gearbox should last for a good few years, so with a little bit of internal cosmetic work, she`d be a good private boat.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Ganging up on me now eh?, that`s just not fair, Karen and i still have a big mortgage (for another 9 1/2 years) as we only got together late in life, so have the expense that most people had 20 years or more ago. Hopefully in about 2 years, we`ll eventually have one. Just a shame the ones we`ve really liked have all been around this year, and sadly, will more than likely NOT be available when funds permit. Until then ....... STOP GANGING UP ON ME :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: .

Ganging up on me now eh?, that`s just not fair, Karen and i still have a big mortgage (for another 9 1/2 years) as we only got together late in life, so have the expense that most people had 20 years or more ago. Hopefully in about 2 years, we`ll eventually have one. Just a shame the ones we`ve really liked have all been around this year, and sadly, will more than likely NOT be available when funds permit. Until then ....... STOP GANGING UP ON ME :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: .

What is a Mortage Neil?