Sign in to follow this  
FlyingFortress

Big Thanks to Mbird & Sue

So Here is the story.

Arrived at Reedham Quay around lunchtime on Friday.

A little while later John showed up on Friday Girl so we adjurned to the Nellie for a wet or three. cheersbar

Took Treacle for a walk around the village and by the time we had got back to the quay Alan (Boycee) had arrived so we were forced to re visit the Nellie cheersbar .

After a shower etc we returned to the Nellie for a cheersbar or two and then later we adjurned to The Ship. Pretty crowded on a Friday evening and among the people in the Lounge was Mark Sue Jonathon and Col. Not having really met Jonathon and not having seen Mark Sue and Col for sometime soon the conversation and the cheersbar was flowing well.

Now the reason I have included all this preamble is to put he picture that I really do not behave like this normally but with too many cheersbar inside me I was feeling Brave. No lets be fair downright cheeky. Anyone going for a blast on Breydon in the morning, ? No ? Awww cmon its going to be a nice day. Awww pleease please. Whine Whine.

Anyway after not too much persuasion Mark and Sue relented and arrangements were made for 10 the following morning. Just to emphasise just how , not cheeky but blooming obnoxious, I was being I then suggested that Breakfast would be a nice idea as well :oops::oops::oops:

So much later we returned to Sally with Shirley giving me quite an earbashing of how I had practically railroaded Mark and Sue into taking us out in the morning :oops::oops:

So Saturday dawned fine and clear.

More grief from Shirley and I thought I had better ring Mark to see if all was still OK and in the cold light of morning did they really want to go boating rather than all the work they had to do at home. But of course dopey here had erased Marks number instead of saving it :oops::oops:

Then outside the boat arrived Mark and Sue who had only walked up to the shop to get some breakfast makings to find the shop shut. I mean how nice are people like that.

Anyway we were assured that they would rather be blasting about on Breydon than finishing a bathroom so after much "Are you sure" from us off we went.

Well what a morning..

Weather bright and sunny, boat looking superb, rumble of diesel engines starting and off we set.

As usual on somone elses boat we stood out of the way as most couples are used to doing things a certain way. The run down to Breydon was pleasant with Mark keeping strictly to the speed limit on his Chart Plotter. Not many boats about and a good ebb tide running.

Just past the Berney with no other boats in sight there was a very angry roar from somewhere beneath our feet and the Chart plotter was suddenly reading 38mph. Posts were flying by at a heck of a lick and with only one ease down for a passing boat we were soon coming up to Breydon Bridge. Now when we had come thru with Sally the day before we had a full flood tide running and we crossed Breydon in around 30 mins. This seemed more like 2 mins than 30 :o

We turned around and sure enough a microsecond :liar ( well it felt like it) later we were back at The Berney.

Then Mark uttered those fatefull words. " Would you like a go Rod ?"

I'm sure something like " too right I do" came out and we exchanged seats.

Now I have helmed fast boats at sea before and even once drove a Hovercraft across the channel. But nothing prepared me for this.

Even crossing Breydon on what I called a "fast" boat before (probably around 20 kts) did not really prepare me for doing almost 40 mph.

As said earlier those post dont half whip by at that speed and all of a sudden the channel seemed an awful lot narrower.

Although I think I kept up a reasonable level of conversation, with my job you have to be a master of the duck syndrome. All serene on the surface but paddeling like fury underneath :naughty: .

There were real levels of concentration going on there and I hope I did not cause any levels for alarm.

I did find that I had to slow down well before the Berney as I always have a bit of a doubt about the channel marks but with Sally doing about 9 mph (with a full flood) there is no real issue. But coming on to it at that speed I whimped out long before Mark could start to look concerned.

We then trundelled back up to Reedham at a much more sedate speed.

We had a look at Cols new boat when we got back and for the second boat visit of the day Shirley was heared to utter the words " I want one".

We then took our leave to let them get on with what they had planned before my rude interuption to thier Saturday Morning.

I would Just like to thank Mark and Sue once again for taking us out and we both thouroughly enjoyed being honerary Salties just for a morning.

Thanks Guys

Rod & Shirley

I cant finish this post without a comment or two about the whole Bling boat issue.

All the Salty type boats look superb. IMHO the broads would be poorer without thier presense

We are well aware that the Sealine is a Sports Cruiser and is designed to thrill. Thrill it does in spades.

What surprised me was the level of concentration required to keep this thing aiming where it was supposed to go.

Mark with a quick flick of a switch or two got the thing trimmed upright and set up for speed with a practiced ease.

I have read about you salties having problems with trim tabs,engines etc and how in heck are you going to get them sorted out without having Breydon available to test the boats before committing to the North Sea.

Any speed limit on Breydon whould IMHO be at the detriment of boating safety.

Yes I know we were only out for a blast on Saturday but to have this facility on your doorstep is a real plus for you Salty types.

I did notice the courtesy that Mark showed to the few boats that we met on Breydon when in my own mind we would probably not have caused any problems going past on the plane as the wash looked minimal to me. But then the Sealine is a sports cruiser and will sit easily on the plane and cause little wash.

As long as you guys continue to show this courtesy to other users I see no need for a speed limit.

So as far as SWMBO and "I want one" not once but twice that morning.

I dont know.

The same thing comes to mind every time we have this discussion.

We do prefer the Northern Broads with all its failings and our Bathtub can go anywhere on the entire system and with some comfort as well.

We are constraned by the weather in this part of the world and therefore constrained by time and cruising area. A Northern trip is possible but requires a lot of planning which we simply do not have to do in our bathtub. If I fancy setting off to cross North/South I simply start the engine and let go the string.

I still do have a hankering to go Salty but we will have to discuss it a bit more and see where we go.

That little trip has posed more questions than answers :o:Stinky

Thanks again Guys.

Rod

Sealine if you don't mind.......... :lol::lol:

Mark and Sue have a sealine ....some of us do own irchwoo's though :lol::lol:

We passed you guys as you were leaving Breydon Water on Saturday...

Guess what? We were entering Breydon to do exactly the same thing, give "Jasperoo" a good blast and clear out those smokey engines. We are not set up for a trip out to sea as yet, but it's great having Breydon water to practise on. Our handheld GPS registered a top speed of 30.5mph so were very pleased with our girl (Targa 27)

We ventured out to sea earlier this year on our friends rib... what can I say.... great fun :);)

I’d have thought you had enough excitement in the “taxi†out to the Sunk Rod. Write out a hundred times “ I like my bath tub, I like turning up and going when I want and coming back when I want†Probably will not help a tiny bit but worth a try. :grin:

Rod, sorry that I missed you and Shirley, seems like a year since we last met up. Oh yes! it is a year :o

Col told me all about it though, sounds like you had a great day/morning :dance:party:

Hope to see more of the 2 of you in the next year :grin:

Lou xx

Sealine if you don't mind.......... :lol::lol:

Mark and Sue have a sealine ....some of us do own irchwoo's though :lol::lol:

I know... just rhymed better if he was about to jump ship!

I quite like several Birchwood models.... good heavens, what is going on! :o

From Bathtub to Birchwood then Rod?

Dayboat to Dreamboat more like it :naughty::(:naughty:

Fun in the taxi?

Well I must admit that 24kts at sea is nothing like almost 40mph inland.

I suppose our taxis are bigger so you do not feel the speed. I do get 24 kts or more on the Container ships outbund but once again there is no real feel of speed and the channel is a lot lot wider.

In the end I suppose its horses for courses and others who would not blink an eye driving a boat at 40mph would baulk at driving a large ship at 10kts in some of the places that I do. :?

Twas great fun though. :clap:clap:clap

Rod

Ps I like my bathtub :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Rod you lucky blighter :naughty::naughty::naughty:

now you know how i felt when you let me helm Sally but a tad difference doing 38mph :grin::grin: i thought you might have a barf bag at the ready

Jonny

We were only thinking about you and who our pilot may be for our next salty bottom trip Rod, were off in 7 weeks time to do a tour of the Eastern Med and transit of the Suez Canal down to the Red sea, another salty bottom trip experiance to add under our belts, although its on a bit of a larger ship than anything that transits Breydon! :grin:

Also we will be sailing up the river Nile for a few nights too, a bit different to the broads as we will have an armed gaurd onboard the tour boat and out on the excursions with us, but at least they do include free booze to help calm our nerves along the way! :o:naughty:cheers

Julz :wave

:P:P

You are more than welcome Rod & Shirley! Like I said at the time, it really doesn't take me much of an excuse to have a quick blat over Breydon, even if only to give the engines a little run to keep thinks in good order (gotta work those turbos!). Sorry we couldn't offer you a bacon sarnie (which we had for lunch in the end) as we didn't have enough and true to form the village shop was shut! My real surprise was Col staying behind to get his carpet finished.....the man has a lot more discipline than me!

Lovely to see you both again, and you are of course welcome aboard Serenity any time cheersbar (especially as you didn't mock my mooring back at the marina! :lol:

ps. The bathroom got finished on Sunday!!!

We passed you guys as you were leaving Breydon Water on Saturday...

Guess what? We were entering Breydon to do exactly the same thing, give "Jasperoo" a good blast and clear out those smokey engines. We are not set up for a trip out to sea as yet, but it's great having Breydon water to practise on. Our handheld GPS registered a top speed of 30.5mph so were very pleased with our girl (Targa 27)

We ventured out to sea earlier this year on our friends rib... what can I say.... great fun :);)

It was good to see someone else out having a little run. I did have the "do I back off the plane?" moment when I saw you coming towards us, but guessed it wouldnt fuss you too much staying at speed as you seemed to be making good progress yourselves. Hope I didn't spill your G&T's? cheersbar

Mock your mooring Mark :o:o:o

I was only praying you were not going to ask me to do it :o:o

Anyone who has seen me park a boat without two ruddy big tugs attached will understand :naughty::naughty:

And to carry on the above theme...

Julz

Unless its departing from Tilbury it will not be me.

Our Regular Passenger ships only take one tug so read into that what you may but you maybe thankfull that I am not driving on departure :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Earlier on this season when making a rather less than exemlary departure swing with one of them all I could think of as the Passenger terminal dissapeared under my bow with what felt like inches to spare and both engines running hard astern was . " This is going to be on You Tube by tonight" :naughty::naughty:

Rod

Hi Rod (or Roger?)

I'm pretty sure I heard your holiday tale 1st hand in the boatshed on Tuesday, I enjoyed it then as well.

My problem is memory! it's only been a couple of days and yet I was sure you introduced yourself as Roger, I read this and your signing "Rod".

1. Has my memory got that bad,

2. Are you the same man,

3. Have you had a name change,

4. do you turn right at venus for mars, or right at mars for venus.

:(