2012 summer trip

Hi

I know its early but I have just booked my holiday with work for next year and know that some other people have got the same dates but some people might need to book early to get the dates. From th 30th july for 2 weeks

Next year we are looking at heading across to Oostende in Belgium which is about 87 miles from Lowestoft from there we have no plans at this time so maybe if people want to cruise in company they could come up with some ideas, the more the merrier then we can have a sort out like last year.

cheers Barry and Sharron

I hope they sort all this red diesel confusion before then Barry, the main reason we kept away in 2011.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291897

And that's not all, David!

If fuel's a problem then there's ATIS http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/boatin ... /atis.aspx

and also the Schengen Visa... http://www.schengenvisa.cc/

Personally we never bothered with these two and just ploughed on but we do speak Dutch sufficiently to laugh it off with a drink or three on the two occasions we were boarded... :naughty::naughty::naughty:

You can enter Zeeland via the Roompopt Sluis without even stopping at HW +/- 2hrs as I remember.

But this fuel problem seems as though the EEC doesn't want the English to visit them in their boats... :norty::norty::norty:

Now even more happy we left the sea to you Salties..... Good Luck! :bow:bow:bow

BTW no-one seems to mind the Dutch using their ATIS radios within 14 nm of our coast, do they? I quote:

"As an aside it is interesting to note the following on the Notice of Variation:

the ATIS equipment or facility shall not be used within 14 nautical miles

from the low water line along the Coast of the United Kingdom, Isle of

Man and Channel Islands."

Perhaps someone should tell our Dutch visitors?

The UK is not a signatory to the Schengen Treaty which is why a form has to be submitted on entry.

Form for Belgium

http://www.rya.org.uk/sitecollectiondoc ... 20Form.pdf

Schengen Treaty

Although a member of the EU, the UK is not a party to the Schengen Treaty which has essentially abolished checks at common boarders between many of the EU and EEA countries. Anyone entering the Schengen area from a non-Schengen country may be subject to a passport check.

When entering the Schengen area via either Belgium or the Netherlands, vessels from non-Schengen countries are required to complete and submit a crew list. However please note that you may be presented with different forms for each region in the Netherlands and in Belgium you may be given a self carbonating triplicate form or in some places an older version of the form.

In reality skippers are finding it increasingly difficult to comply with the requirements as in many ports the authorities are simply not interested in the form

I have to say we had no issues the year before last but things may have tightened up

Sorry perry that is what I was trying to say. That shenegan courtries enjoy this free passage however, we are not signatories and would have to use a passport for entry. However, despite the RYA information there is no requirement to fill in the form if you are coming from an EU country ( although it makes sense to do so) and legally under EU treaty you don't even have to tell them you are coming (although if you don't I'm sure every sod in the world will be all over your craft). Actually these arethungs we can't blame the European neighbours for, instead it has been caused by the UK failing to adhere to the 'open borders' agreement of the EU treaty.

The shenegan agreement allows travel between member stated without a passport or stops, the visa is something that can be applied for by those that do not already have the right to free travel under the EU treaty (which allows us to travel and work)

As for the ATIS thing, yes very valid!

Gav, been there, done it.... you DO have to fill in one of these forms anywhere you venture in Europe; IF you can find somewhjere to do it. Last time in Holland then Middelburg was one of the few places you could.. and that's at leasr 10 klicks inside Holland!

I know what you meant Gavin just a reply by A.Pedant :grin:

Things may well have tighten up but in 2010 we filled up before we left and had the receipts and also completed the Schengen form on arrival and had covered off the other issue e.g. making sure flares were in date etc.

In Blankenberge we were moored on a linear with the ramp down to the marina next to us. The Doune almost tripped over the Red Dusters, we gave them a cheery hello and they did likewise and wandered on to go and look at a Dutch boat. I am sure some of the issues were caused by some Yotties adopting the 'little Englander' attitude. I find that quite hard to believe myself :liar

As David said we are keeping a close eye on things as there was a plan to go back this year but we will have to wait and see.

Happier times http://perrysaunders.smugmug.com/Other/ ... BPKpQ-A-LB

Hi

Back in 2009 we were boarded by customs,in Den Helder Holand,only thing they were interested in was colour of our diesel,I had downloaded copy of a letter that YBW forum recomended to take.just as well as without they were going to charge us for the max capacity that our tanks held( 340gallons)would have been not a good way to finish a wonderfull holiday,anyway we shall not be going back untill they make it clear,as to the use of red diesel from the uk,we shall be heading south ,weather permitting.

We were quite seriously discussing the following in the Shipreck this weekend. Work out the fine, add it to your holiday buget and if you think it's worth the extra then at least the stress and worry will be taken away. If you get away with it, which still seems the most likely scenario you can consider it a bonus. Might seem a bit sideways but sideways can work.

I wouldnt say rule it out Barry - as has already been mentioned if we do things legally, and with the right paperwork I cant see how there can be much of a problem. By the time you've opened the taps up on your rocket machine you wont have much red in your tank when you get there anyway. :grin:

Although we have decided to keep clanny, I think we will be abstaining from any foreign travel this year, shame as we could have gloated over the universal acceptance of petrol. Shame it is not universally available.

We are glad you are keeping your boat mate and will work on you for the trip :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Not really John, just a price hike, :naughty: I'm sure it will all come to a head and we will all have to use undyed in the medium term as it seems the only viable way around this impasse, we have been getting away with it for a very long time. Personally though I have always been happy to take advantage of it I have never been able to square the rationale for leisure boats having what is in effect a subsidy on the propulsion fuel. Though I firmly believe we should be allowed the same fuel regime for heat and power genertion as everybody else. Maybe I should just register as a commercial fishing vessel and stick a pot hauller on. :?

"Just a price hike", David, indeed! Any ideas just HOW much the fines are?

Also I just can't see retailers wanting to change over... it would mean completely emptying their tanks and then having them totally cleabed out... surely neither a cheap nor quick job to do?

(perhaps Clive would comment?).