Which Generator Power Rating

When away from shore power for any length of time we need a back up power supply.

Having researched at some length into Fuel Cells and other alternatives it appears the best option is to have a 'back up' suitcase genny to switch on when we need it and turn it off. I see no need to be running this for more than 15 mins at any time. Normal cruising will charge our batteries unless we are 'storm bound' for a few days.

Looking into these there appears only one choice for reliability and quiet running - Honda

My question is: The largest appliance we have is 800w but I have read that the 'starting' power required for electrical items is much more than their rated wattage. On the face of it a 1KW should do but if much higher starting power is required I will probably need the 2KW which is a fair jump up in price.

What are the panels thoughts?

Hi Perry,

I have been looking at the same thing, this has helped.

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/doc ... r%20GB.pdf

It looks like there will be a lag in the generator pick up on both the Honda 10 and 20 unit. The Phoenix multi plus does look like the solution, however at a cost :o (£639 JG Tech for a 12/1200/50).

I will be getting a Honda eu10i for the boat by Easter and will use it to power a battery charger for the moment while I look at our power requirements on the boat in the real world rather than on paper.

Hope this helps

Ian :Sailing

hi Perry on using a 300watt inverter to run a prtable TV/Video we had to switch it on and off like mad to get the inverter to cope with the power pull so we bought a 800 watt one which copes ok just with the surge on start up so i rekon the tv needs another 500watts just to start it :o:Stinky

hi Perry on using a 300watt inverter to run a prtable TV/Video we had to switch it on and off like mad to get the inverter to cope with the power pull so we bought a 800 watt one which copes ok just with the surge on start up so i rekon the tv needs another 500watts just to start it :o:Stinky

Not convinced about the logic there, it may only require say, 350 watts to start (which the 800 would provide but the 300 would not), the only thing that can be reasonably deduced from that experiment is that it would require between (say) 320 and 800 watts to start, I would venture to suggest that as the 300w nearly coped that it would be toward the lower end of that range :-D :wave

None of the above says that you are wrong, simply that the experiment does not prove the conclusion :-D :-D

I did consider an inverter but any prolonged stay will rip the a*se out of my batteries when needing 800w.

Still confused as to the 'start up' wattage required. I can chat to the genny dealers but they will always want to sell you the highest rated genny, as it is a 'back up' item only I don't want one that is overblown for the need it will have.

Hi,

For us a factor is the size and weight weight of the generator. The Honda EU10i is small , and the 900w output ( 65A at 14v?) will power the battery charger, today's thoughts are for a Sterling 1250CED (50A) charger, and a smaller battery bank of 150AH. The Honda EU20 would be better as it would run under load at about half power and give a bit more spare power for other things. I intend to go to Lings the Honda dealer in Lowestoft in the next few weeks and look at them both.

Perry, the Honda generators state their noise output at quite low outputs, will your high power item be used for a long or short burst?

Ian :Sailing

Perry,

It might be worth looking at the size of fuse for the immersion and therefore peak draw, if it is 5A (1200w?) it might be OK. A 4A fuse would be better if they existed.

Anyone have a calculation for the size of Kit Kat wrapper you need for 4A? :naughty:

Ian

Anyone have a calculation for the size of Kit Kat wrapper you need for 4A? :naughty:

Ian

Ian, I think the Kit Kat wrapper is rated at 5amps, Bacofoil is 10amps, Benson & Hedges 4amps, :naughty: and yes like you I've seen it done, :norty::norty:

Just in case anyone gets the Idea of trying it! DON'T! I once saw someones pride and joy burnt to a cinder because they couldn't be bothered to fit a proper working fuse,,, :cry

• 2 weeks later...

Checked ours at the weekend and it is 800w.

In 'theory' the 1kw Honda would do the job but I am still concerned about 'start up' draw required of this and other appliances we may use (not at the same time) so think it may be the 2kw unless there is a convincing argument for 1kw being enough (and I am ready to be convinced :) )