Houston we have a problem - It's all Clives fault

3FagsandAHag

Okay folks (don't worry Clive this isn't a rant, it's a very good thing :grin: )

So the plan is to have a good week on the water the beginning of October and just when I think "Yes I've sourced the ideal boat" Richardsons throws a spanner in the works by tempting me with gorgeous pretty things and a low deposit offer lol

So here's the quandry, my head is saying stick with your original plan and book Star Time from DRL Marine, you know the boat type well (having in the past hired a boat with the same shell) and the price is a very good one and you've never set out from Ludham before, yet my heart keeps on saying, Go on go for Broads Harmony, she's pretty, she's got the space you want, the low deposit is always handy the otherside of Christmas and you've never had a problem when cruising out of Stalham before (admittidly this was only the once about 6 years ago on Broadland Mercury but the comment stands)

So Ladies and Gents what should I do? Go with Head or Heart? The onyl real negative I can see with Harmony is the lack of rear well for one of my party to set up his camera and tripod on, but other than that I'm at a loss.

HELP!!!!! lol

Stu

Hmm... a tricky one.

Price aside I guess it would be 'Harmony every time as the two boats are undoubtedly a bit different in standard to one another but I guess it all comes down to what the difference in cost is and whether you can live with it or not.

I guess price is the big one, a small consideration is perhaps that the stamp on the loyalty card which could negate a small amount of the cost long term if you book direct with them and are planning on coming regularly.

I normally find a way of justifying such an expense (!) at home so do let us know if you decide to go for it and need some plausable reasons providing! :naughty:

Dan

Hmm... a tricky one.

Price aside I guess it would be 'Harmony every time as the two boats are undoubtedly a bit different in standard to one another but I guess it all comes down to what the difference in cost is and whether you can live with it or not.

I guess price is the big one, a small consideration is perhaps that the stamp on the loyalty card which could negate a small amount of the cost long term if you book direct with them and are planning on coming regularly.

I normally find a way of justifying such an expense (!) at home so do let us know if you decide to go for it and need some plausable reasons providing! :naughty:

Dan

Price isn't the huge biggy, I don't mind paying the extra for whats worth while :naughty: and I've kind of already justified the cost anyway as the trip itself is to celebrate the other halfs 40th birthday (a fact that he shall constantly be reminded of) and it does look like I'm getting a decent bonus this year and I'm..........................talking myself right into this aren't I? ;)

The loyalty scheme is a legitimate plus point as well as have every intention of if not from 2012 certainly from 2013 trying to get two trips a year in, although I think the next one will be a fun one as after the october trip I'm seriously tempted to do a Spring trip with just the other half (although guess I really should invite the family one year lol)

I see your Tesco and raise you local markets and food producers :) Huge supporter of buying local and helping local businesses flourish :)

we have got some of them too and you can use the Tesco car park ;)

Harmony is the best bet from us but how about Fairway, Bernadette or Majestic although the last two may ahve too many 'extra' beds.. also single levels like Supreme or Onyx?? all with 3 fixed doubles.

The Broadsmans are fairly well booked but you may get lucky or we could build you another for October!

we have got some of them too and you can use the Tesco car park ;)

Harmony is the best bet from us but how about Fairway, Bernadette or Majestic although the last two may ahve too many 'extra' beds.. also single levels like Supreme or Onyx?? all with 3 fixed doubles.

The Broadsmans are fairly well booked but you may get lucky or we could build you another for October!

HAve you made this your mission just to confuse me even further now?!?!?!?!? lol

Single levels not my thing. Broadsman, not for 2012, but looks like a possible for 2013 (although I did see she is still actually available for the date I want in 2012 lol). I hadn't even considered Majestic thoguh so I shall now add her to the list. Fairway gets knocked out due to the lack of rear well (silly I know) and Bernadette maybe taking my hunt for made up beds a wee bit too far lol

HAve you made this your mission just to confuse me even further now?!?!?!?!? lol

Single levels not my thing. Broadsman, not for 2012, but looks like a possible for 2013 (although I did see she is still actually available for the date I want in 2012 lol). I hadn't even considered Majestic thoguh so I shall now add her to the list. Fairway gets knocked out due to the lack of rear well (silly I know) and Bernadette maybe taking my hunt for made up beds a wee bit too far lol

Okay Broadsman gets knocked off the list (thankfully) as it would appear I'm incapable of reading a calender as she is booked out for when we're going. This is a good thing as after reading her build story I would now happily sell bits of myself to get her booked. Maybe for 2013 though?

Is 45ft to big for just 2 people? lol

The problem is the beam restriction, it a proper broads boat look like a narrow boat inside.

our next two creations will be 45 footers but 4-6 berths (centre cockpit and flat) the other problem is the need for bulkheads to hold the roof up! although we are creating a gravity defying roof on Carousel.. :)

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Certainly not, in fact it would be nice to see a couple of hire 40 footers kitted out beutifully with just one big double stateroom, a la Dale Nelson 45.

Alphacraft had 2 of their 42ft fwd drv fitted out as luxury 2 berths, one of which is still for sale somewhere. They were a strange build, being that the fwd half was of the 42 fwd drv, and the aft section was of the 42 ctr ckp with which has a wider section around what was originally the aft salloon, but on these is the aft cabin with an island 4 poster.

Well after much consideration we will be hiring from Richardsons, boat choice still to be decided but if I get my way (and if nobody books her before I get paid on the 13th) it will be Broads Harmony.

Yes she is more than I was originally looking to pay, but to heck with it, it's the other halfs 40th Birthday week while we're away so I may as well go all out. Happy now Clive, you've made me rethink everything you terrible terrible man lol cheersbar

good choice I am happy now! cheers

when in 2013 would you like the 2 berth centre cockpit ready?

:Stinky

Hmm well it's my 31st in May 2013 lol Although dependant on how things go next Septemeber I can see me being a repeat Sept/October visitor :)

I look forward to sending you the booking form :) You'll know it's us by the fact that I'll make some outrageous demands like asking very very nicely if one of your lovely folks at the yard can pick me up a bottle of something sparkling for the first night (and no I'm not talking Perrier lol) Well it's always worth asking cheers

when in 2013 would you like the 2 berth centre cockpit ready?

:Stinky

Oh and no need to rush the 2 berth centre cockpit into service for 2013 for me, I'm quite tempted by Far Horizon, although it may need either me or the other half to wear a skirt to get round the no all male crews clause on her lol :cry

Oh and no need to rush the 2 berth centre cockpit into service for 2013 for me, I'm quite tempted by Far Horizon, although it may need either me or the other half to wear a skirt to get round the no all male crews clause on her lol :cry

Just remember deck shoes only please :pirate

good luck with the sparkly, I suspect it may get either overlooked or overcharged :naughty:

• 2 weeks later...

Is it Friday yet?

4 more days I can make the booking, oh and what does the other half say he wants (and my housemate say she wants?) For the week on the Broads? Only blooming Broadsman 3!! Result!

If anybody books that for W/C 28/09/2012 before this Friday, I may be forced to track them down and kill them

Just need to put the canopy on, antifoul and launch, then drop the engine in and make some curtains although I already have a spare set...

I did finish the RC45 thread as it could have gone on forever but I may revive it when a decent progress photo of Carousel is available which it will be in a couple of weeks...