Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brucec

Lightroom 4 Beta now available

I know we have some Lightroom users on here, so I thought some of you woudl be interested to know that Adobe have just released a beta of Lightroom 4. It won't import previous LR catalogues, as its purpose is to enable photographers to review it and make comments to Adobe, and they make it clear that the beta doesn't include all the features that will be in the final release.

Adobe list new features as:

Highlight and shadow recovery brings out all the detail that your camera captures in dark shadows and bright highlights.

Photo book creation with easy-to-use elegant templates.

Location-based organization lets you find and group images by location, assign locations to images, and display data from GPS-enabled cameras.

White balance brush to refine and adjust white balance in specific areas of your images.

Additional local editing controls let you adjust noise reduction and remove moiré in targeted areas of your images.

Extended video support for organizing, viewing, and making adjustments and edits to video clips.

Easy video publishing lets you edit and share video clips on Facebook and Flickr®.

Soft proofing to preview how an image will look when printed with color-managed printers.

Email directly from Lightroom using the email account of your choice.

As a printer, the most long awaited of these is soft proofing - LR's lack of it has driven me nuts! Highlight and shadow recovery also sounds interesting - presumably similar to the Shadows and Highlights tool in Photoshop.

Details on the Adobe site at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4/. There is no indication as to pricing of the final release yet, but of course the beta is free.

I've downloaded it and will have a look later this week.

Bruce

The other thing I found is that they have dropped support for XP which my photo editing machine runs - Upgrade due I suppose :oops:

I have run it on my other machine and imported test raw images. I do like the highlight and shadow recovery.

The other thing I found is that they have dropped support for XP

Cheeking charleses! I can't see a good reason for that one so I assume Microsoft have been applying pressure to software vendors of late. A great number of businesses still exist on XP workstations.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.