Where's this then

TeamElla

Jonzo,

Hickling is deeper than you think for the most part! The marked channel is a guide for you to cruise within and the sensible route to use.. If you enter Hickling from the southern end, you can cut the corner completely and steer diagonally across to Catfield Dyke, the problem is not depth but usually weed that will wrap around the prop. When the stonewort grew to cover the broad, all hire cruisers were advised not to navigate outside the main channel and only the main channel was kept free of the stuff.

The channel to Catfield dyke has been there for years, but not clearly marked as it is today. If the stonewort comes back, avoid it...it's a nightmare when it gets round the prop, it will halt the boat and it's no easy task to reverse and shake it off.

Regards

Clive.

Steve,

For safety reasons, I fitted a Stainless steel boarding ladder to the stern of my last boat, a Freeman 22. It came in very handy to go overboard when a fouled prop occurred, as with the stonewort!

On one occasion I entered 'The Cut', off Heigham Sound and hit masses of stonewort. Not a soul about and only me aboard! Without that ladder I would have been stuck. The boat was held fast, no forad or aft control. It proved to be so strong it caused the engine to cut-out. My only way of escape was to use the mud weight to draw the boat out into the main channel.

Kna******g would be an understatement!!

If it can stop a 60horse power diesel in a 22ft boat, it's damn strong weed. Maybe it was stonewort at Waxham, although I have to say, I only ever encountered it on the 'Sound and Hickling'. It's strange stuff, because one year it can just grow like crazy, the next there's no sign of it, weird!!

Regards

Clive.

Steve,

I agree, the rope cutter would be worth its weight in gold. Every boat should have one where the prop is inaccessible other than to dive underneath the boat. Scary to do when alone...the weed traps your legs and feet very quickly.

Wish I'd have fitted one to my boat but you live and learn, don't need one now, no boat!!! :cry:cry:cry

Regards:

Clive.

just to keep in mind if you was to become entangled in this weed and could not reach the surface one breath wont last long so i think an extra long snorkel kit could be valuable just as a precaution cheaper than having to get towed back to a yard and lifted out.

Sorry Jonny but I reckon that idea needs dropping big time.

It's inherently dangerous.

As an ex diver, I would never leave the surface whilst my lungs were still connected to sea level atmospheric pressure (even a few feet below, it's just too risky).

Holding your breath or using an aqualung is an entirely different kettle of fish.

I've happily snorkeled to 20 ft whilst holding my breath but if I were to try it with an air line open to surface pressure, my lungs would have collapsed within feet of the surface.

It's actually a fascinating subject (and it gets drummed into you before you are ever allowed to strap an aqualung on your back).

The biggest relative change in ambient pressure when diving down from the surface is in the first 30 ft, during which time the pressure on the body will have doubled.

A full lung of air taken at the surface will have compressed to half a lung full at 30 ft.