MY DONGLE WORKS FINE

Stranger

BEEN OUT AND BOUGHT A NEW VODAPHONE DONGLE FROM MAPLINS TODAY £19.99 WITH 2X FREE £5 CREDITS ON IT SO WORTH A LOOK IF ANYONE ELSE IS LOOKING FOR ONE TOOK 5 MINS TO INSTALL AND WAS WORKING A TREAT SO I AM ARMED FOR THE TRIP ON 5TH MAY WETHER IT WORKS OK ON THE BROADS IS ANOTHER MATTER WAS CONNECTED VIA 3G UP HERE SO WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT THEN :clap:clap

No need to shout! I assume 3 dongles get a reasonable signal around the broads too(I hope), can anyone confirm?

@ Antares_9 reading your signature line I don't suppose you have the nmea standard sentences for engine monitoring devices do you? I have a little project in mind to display my engine temps on my chart plotter without buying expensive gear, I recon a pic could do it with a little sneaky coding for a very reasonable price, it's only ascii serial output after all, my plotter takes nmea2000 & nmea 0183 input.

I don't fancy paying nmea.org's prices for a sub £20 project on a 40 year old boat.....

It's very simple Leo, you can buy a resitive to N2K converter at very popular (well, we like them) prices, In fact I have just fitted a couple to monitor tankage at under £100 each. As for disclosing required PGNs (not sentances like the old 0183), not a chance matey, I can't even disclose extracts from the 0400 standard unless it relates to a very specific commercial quotation. :grin::grin:

The Noland RS11 is a good budget unit and will give you all your engine data including tach for about £180.000 http://nolandeng.com/rs11.php It's worth remembering that some plotters though N2K compliant will not display engine data even if the PGNs are on the bus so worth looking at handbook, though I guess from the couching of the question you will already be aware of that.

Mine is the Vodafone 3g dongle, it worked fine three years ago, but this year with my work lappy being 3 years older and with a lot of stuff on it ( even at work it takes time to start up) it froze a bit.

Hope you have more luck than me, as I REALY wanted to do the hol tale in real time...

Roll on September when I am floating again

PS, sat at comp with the wobbles. How long will it last this time.

:Stinky

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

NEVER EVER FORGET TO CHECK THE ANGLE OF DANGLE OF YOUR DONGLE :lol::lol::lol: . Seriously though, we don`t have a laptop, or an i pad or i phone, so we won`t be posting anything til we get back. Some of us like to get away from technology. I think years ago, i would have been thought of as a luddite :party::party: . It`s good to be different ;);) .

NEVER EVER FORGET TO CHECK THE ANGLE OF DANGLE OF YOUR DONGLE :lol::lol::lol: . Seriously though, we don`t have a laptop, or an i pad or i phone, so we won`t be posting anything til we get back. Some of us like to get away from technology. I think years ago, i would have been thought of as a luddite :party::party: . It`s good to be different ;);) .

Do the Stage Coach still stop at West Moors Neil?

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty: