Where to Moor the New Boat?

seaboater

Nice looking vessel looks right at home at broadsedge too

I keep mine at Richos stalham and think the upper ant is one of the nicest rivers around the broads and you don't need to sail far to find an idyllic riverside mooring,yes it is busy during the Holiday periods but a bit of forethought and you wont go far wrong

Andy

My understanding of Barton Broad is that the marker posts are redundant since the clearwater suction dredging project back in 2000. There is good depth for most vessels across the whole broad apart from where the shallow water marker cones are. A few people have lobbied for their removal and I don't know why they haven't been removed. My personal opinion is that they are responsible for the majority of hire boats you see stranded on Breydon. You hire a boat most probably on the North. You visit Barton Broad and you see many boats mud weighted outside the marked channel. Clearly the markers appear to mark a channel rather than low depth. Then you go South and see all the posts on Breydon where they REALLY do mark low depth. As a novice hirer how do you know the difference until you venture outside that is.

My personal opinion is that they are responsible for the majority of hire boats you see stranded on Breydon. You hire a boat most probably on the North. You visit Barton Broad and you see many boats mud weighted outside the marked channel. Clearly the markers appear to mark a channel rather than low depth. Then you go South and see all the posts on Breydon where they REALLY do mark low depth. As a novice hirer how do you know the difference until you venture outside that is.

There's no doubt that it will have confused some hirers, (and a few less experienced owners too), but there again, there is no shortage of written warnings about the hazards of Breydon. All guides and maps, including the free "navigation" leaflets given to all hirers clearly states the importance of staying in the channel there and getting the tides right etc..

The problem is the lack of care and preparation of so many people new to the area. It's quite apparent that many can't be bothered to read any of the guidance literature provided for them. Some have no concept of the potential danger, amply demonstrated by their reluctance to wear lifejackets even when going through Yarmouth and the fast running lower reaches.

The posts on Barton do tend to keep moving traffic to the centre channel, making the sides more peaceful for anchoring and fishing. Whenever I mudweight on Wroxham or Salhouse, too many inconsiderate idiots practically brush past the sides of my boat, despite there being bags of room....

Hi Strowager,

Again though, as you say Wroxham and Salhouse have no marked channel, yet on Barton where there is a marked channel, so many are seen to ignore it, including the BA RA when it used to run from Gay's staithe. It obviously isn't that important even though you should stay within the markers. Then you treat Breydon with the same disrespect and have a different outcome. The channel markers should donate areas of shallow water as they do on Hickling. Chains or curtain barriers should donate areas where wildlife should not be disturbed as they do up the Thurne and other areas.

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised so far by how quiet the upper Ant is during the week. We've avoided Saturdays as clearly there's hire boat mayhem for a few hours, but the other times have been good. What it will be like as we get into July and August remains to be seen, but so far it's better than we expected.

I haven't quite made up my mind about Broadsedge yet. It's indisputably well kept and offers pleasing surroundings but one thing I don't like at all is not being able to use tap water for cleaning the boat. I've never been keen on using dirty river water as I'm sure it encourages growth of the green stuff you so often see on boats. I've not yet cleaned it (shame I hear you cry!) so it remains to be seen.

I'm also not keen on the rule that you can't bring in outside contractors, although I appreciate this is not uncommon. I don't know how good or otherwise the Broadsedge engineering services are. They don't seem to have a well known reputation such as Boulters or Goodchilds, which doesn't necessarily mean they're not good, but I've never heard or read anyone saying "go to Broadsedge". I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of their maintenance and repair type services.

In answer to MBA Marine's query - it's a Vetus m4.17 42hp diesel.

Good good, we does like a diesel!

The no outside contractors can be a pain, my customers in this situation wherever possible move their boats to public or a arranged private mooring for me. Not that I would want you to but you can still take your boat to Boulter's. From what i hear via clients the yards that dont allow outside workers in often have far too much work and people have to wait some time, I cant blame them for wanting to hold the monopoly.