14mm softline mooring rope

Hi,

Is there any evidence that floating rope is better to avoid the prop?

Heavy rope will sink and might require a greater force to pull it towards the prop rather than something that is just floating on the surface close to the prop.

Any thoughts?

Ian

Any thoughts?

Probably wrong, but..

Do most prop wrappings occur when going backwards over the rope.

My thinking on this is that if going forwards the rope would be being pulled behind, and therfore not near the prop.

If you go astern, the rope will go under the boat and around the prop.

so will a floating rope have less chance of getting to the depth of the prop when the boat goes over it, as it should float under the hull, and not get to the prop,

:Stinky

Pretty sure the rope in your link are Polyester based. Less stretch than nylon and softer to the feel but SWMBO is not keen on it. She says is is too soft and does not lend itself to good throwing/lassoing cleats. It certainly sinks well when wet.

I have was instructed to buy some dock lines in the US last week so I guess we will be testing these out. Personally I prefer good quality supple nylon ropes which seem to tick all the boxes. The problem is with nylon is that some of the cheaper stuff is like baler twine!!