Plastimo insolvent?

Indeed David,

I have a mixture of kit from all three sections of their business including XM lifejackets. Hope that something will continue once the admins find a potential buyer!

Is there anything required for boating they don't make?

It is going to leave a very big hole in the market if they can not be salvaged.

As chandlers are often beguiled as swindlers, it does make you wonder where all the money goes and, if it is not accounted for in gross incompetence and huge bonuses, then whether the UK and European boat industry can support anything but a cottage industry.

I broke a Plastimo plastic vent grill last year, ordered a replacement, no problem.

Given the news, I decided to order a couple of spares today, as a sort of insurance policy. At £1.90 each, quite a reasonable premium. :)

Hopefully, Plastimo will bounce back, and I might not need one anyway, but as the hole cut in the boat is to fit these particular Plastimo vent grills, better safe than sorry IMO.

Dave

I broke a Plastimo plastic vent grill last year, ordered a replacement, no problem.

Given the news, I decided to order a couple of spares today, as a sort of insurance policy. At £1.90 each, quite a reasonable premium. :)

Hopefully, Plastimo will bounce back, and I might not need one anyway, but as the hole cut in the boat is to fit these particular Plastimo vent grills, better safe than sorry IMO.

Dave

Maybe if everybody does the same as you it might give them a bit of a boost Dave. :grin:

I don't think they actually manufacture much anyway, most stuff being made and badged for them so the manufacturers will hopefuly still be around if this doesn't hit them too hard.

A sign of the times.

Now that i'm in the category of chandlery swindler :-) I can tell you there really isn't that much

profit in it.

The likes of Ebay and cut price boat jumbles will send more and more companies to the wall until everything is online with zero customer

service, when that happens the prices will just go higher and higher.

My chandlery is now the only river front chandlers between Norwich and the sea and the simple economics

is use it or lose it i'm afraid.

Dave, I have a couple of new plastic vents on my 50/50 shelf, I have no idea if they are the same

as yours but might be worth a look ?

online sellers still need to be supplied, Navimo sold through agents not direct to the public.

I think you right that retailers in the flesh will one day come to an end, i think the ballance can be found in small shop, large warehouse little passing trade through shop with online sales being the main bread and butter.

I must admit that with times being tough poeple dont have alot of money to spend, I have had a very busy year so far mainly because i can charge less than others, I do this in part by passing matarials on at cost (rounded up to the £) and sourcing the required product as cheap as i can.

I buy approx 80% online, its usualy cheaper and i can order of an evening so its not taking up my work day then the goods are deliverd to me. I dont want businesses to close as 20% of my buying is when i need somthing there and then. Its im my customers best interests and therefore mine to try and have the best of both worlds.

small retailers will always struggle to buy the quantity needed to get the best price, bigger companies are able to sell at inflated retail, basic trade discount (thats what i would get) and then full trade that the big buyers such as boat manufactures would get, with these discounts they still profit.

Why would a company like Navimo go down? perhaps because most boat builders don't use many of there products, they are more bought more by the end user as replacments for what has broken on there boat.

I think its only cookers and flexible water tanks that i fit plastimo products

They never had anything in stock in any numbers so we virtually stopped using them a while back. I was told that this may have been on the cards before Christmas when I was sorting my fenders out.

I ended up getting mine from a company who had gone bust and been bought back to life :)

I do this in part by passing matarials on at cost (rounded up to the £) and sourcing the required product as cheap as i can.

I buy approx 80% online, its usualy cheaper and i can order of an evening so its not taking up my work day then the goods are deliverd to me

thats actually quite a silly thing to do in my opinion, if you are passing goods on at cost that means you have no value on your free time ?

and it may actually be costing you money to supply the goods by way of phone calls, internet provider costs, computer time and IT equipment,

using your bank or paypal account incurs fees not to mention the time it takes, working in the evening ordering for customers is your working day !!

Rich

I have to confess I was a little bemused too Rich, not exactly a business model I would adopt, I manage to beat most "Web" prices with still a sensible margin to cover my sourcing and passing time.

thats actually quite a silly thing to do in my opinion, if you are passing goods on at cost that means you have no value on your free time ?

and it may actually be costing you money to supply the goods by way of phone calls, internet provider costs, computer time and IT equipment,

using your bank or paypal account incurs fees not to mention the time it takes, working in the evening ordering for customers is your working day !!

Rich

I take your piont but i dont mind ordering online in the eve, I have to home as the kids are in bed so its somthing to do. as for broadband use we would have it home regardless of being self employed so there is no cost in fact it becomes tax deductable so its a bonus, again same for a mobile, i would have one anyway, calls are free for the minutes i use and at £8.50 a month (+vat) its not exactly bank breaking.

Im earning enough to pay my bills and people can afford my rates. win/win. Im not doing it to get rich just to live with modist comfort.

I have to confess I was a little bemused too Rich, not exactly a business model I would adopt, I manage to beat most "Web" prices with still a sensible margin to cover my sourcing and passing time.

I'm glad it's not just me :-) I did wonder if I was speaking out of turn

It is hard enough these days to make a living without giving it away. :norty: