Sign in to follow this  
jillR

out and about with a polarizing filter

hi jill,

it looks like the sky wasn,t bright enough for the filter, have a look at this comparison ,the filter makes the sky darker.

post-777-136713909451_thumb.jpg

the filter can reduce reflections, but only upto a point, hope this helps,as i am no expert!!

hi trev

i was expecting that sort of effect as it was really hot and sunny here today :?

still not sure if i have to twist :lol:

the shots do look a little dark

i have tried taking it off and on for a few pictures then couldn't remember which ones as i i kept sing shots i had to have that day

i find screwing it on and off a bit fiddly

will have to try again

jill

Posted that before the second batch of pictures!! in these, they look like the filter wasn,t dark enough for the conditions? my filters are adjustable ie you turn them and they go lighter or darker, upto a factor of 3, having said that you still have to be carful shooting into the sun no filter can cope with that :wave .

i have a hoya circular thingy

i have tried twisting it but cant see the difference when looking through the view finder but thats probably just me :roll:

If it's definitely a polarising filter, and not just a UV or Skylight 1A, then rotating it through 90 degrees should darken and lighten the sky dramatically, even just to the eye, let alone when viewed through an SLR viewfinder.

Is the camera a through the lens reflex ? I admit I've never tried one on a camera with an lcd screen, maybe they would auto compensate the exposure as it's rotated, and mask the effect to the eye. Try just holding it in front of your eye and rotating it, to see the effect. :)

Thats exactly what I was going to say Strowy. Just hold the lens and look through it Jill, then turn it 90 degrees. If that has no effect, then it ain't a polariser. If it does, then pop it back on the camera and play some more :grin:

:cry: ive tried twisting, pushing it and twisting, pulling it and twisting but it just swivels and dose not come off

You're probably just turning the wide smooth outer ring which is used to rotate the filter without unscrewing it.

The thread is unscrewed by gripping the much narrower knurled inner ring, right up against the front of the camera's lens.

If it's really stuck, a narrow elastic band over the knurled part can usually do the trick without damage.

( I always keep one in my gadget bag !)

post-669-136713909855_thumb.jpg

i think ive screwed it on the wrong way round :roll:

the ridged ring is on the outside edge and there is a screw thread vissable on the inside edge when you look at the lens

i cant grip the smooth ring hard enough to budge it and i darnt try too hard as i dont remember if its clockwise or anti clockwise to undo

it says... HOYA 58mm PL-CIR japan

phew i just wriggled it free :party2:

well thats very odd

it does not go on the logical way round

the swively bit is the ridged bit on this one

at least i now know which way to undo it

just whipped it off to show you ....

post-115-136713909867_thumb.jpg

phew i just wriggled it free :party2:

well thats very odd

it does not go on the logical way round

the swively bit is the ridged bit on this one

at least i now know which way to undo it

just whipped it off to show you ....

No, that's OK, it's just that your Hoya filter does have the knurled ring on the rotating part, and a plain ring for the body of the filter itself.

It is going on the right way round, the wording around the rim is the right way up when viewed from behind the camera looking down on the lens.

The camera lens always has the female thread, and the filter thread is male, with another female thread facing out, to enable stacking of more than one filter.

It's just a bit more awkward to get off if done up tightly.

Hi Jill. Polarisers only make a difference in certain lighting conditions, and many of the images you posted won't benefit from one. They were widely used by professional landscape photographers when everyone was using film, but they are less useful with digital cameras because many of the effects can be achieved in software.

Their main uses are making colours more vivid, darkening blue skies and making clouds "pop", and cutting through reflections (which is the one that software can't easily replicate). They work best when the sun is at 90 degrees to the lens, but the effect varies enormously with light, atmospheric conditions and altitude (in fact, unwary photographers using them with film in high altitude places have often found their skies going totally black!). YOu also have to be aware that they may block up (darken) your shadows.

You can check the degree of polarisation by holding the filter up to the sky (without the lens of course!) and rotating the outer ring while looking through the filter. This will show you how much polarisation you are achieving. Unless you are very experienced it can be really unpredictable.

Have fun!

Bruce

thanks folks

i understand it all now :liar well that bit anyway

ive put the filter back on for now but its done up fairly loosely and if we have another blistering day tomorrow like we had today ... phew

i may get a chance to play.

jill :love

They're also useful when taking photos in places like museums with glass cases (where that is allowed).

With careful rotation, you can completely remove the glass reflection, and capture the object inside much more clearly.

(and that effect can't be achieved by any post processing on a computer, because the detail is otherwise not captured in the first place). :)

This photo, grabbed off Google image search, shows a shop window without filter on the left, and the same window with a polariser on the right, with much more detail captured.

post-669-136713909924_thumb.gif

That Google image demonstrates what I said about shadows blocking up. A lot of the potential detail in the shadows and low mid tones has gone. That's why partial polarisation is usually preferable to full. You can see the effect by holding the polariser up and rotating it until you get the effect you need - it's often best to leave some of the reflection but remove the worst of it.

Jill, I suggest you leave the filter off unless you need it for a specific reason. Otherwise you're losing between 2/3 and 2 stops of light just by having the filter on the lens - i.e, it's blocking light. That will either give you less depth of field or more risk of camera shake, or a combination of both if you're using auto exposure settings.

Jill, I suggest you leave the filter off unless you need it for a specific reason. Otherwise you're losing between 2/3 and 2 stops of light just by having the filter on the lens - i.e, it's blocking light. That will either give you less depth of field or more risk of camera shake, or a combination of both if you're using auto exposure settings.

point taken bruce

i did wonder if i was loosing some clarity

i was after blue skies and richer colours rather than the washed out ones i often get

jill

Guys,do you love boats, i am a girl who love boats very much,i just want to find some new friends to share the happiness of keeping boats.

share love,share happy,share useful information about this beautiful forum

:party2::Stinky:party2:

:Stinky:party2::Stinky

Guys,do you love cats, i am a girl who love cats very much,i just want to find some new friends to share the happiness of keeping cats.

share love,share happy,share useful information about

I some how don't think you'll find what you want on our Forum, Mr Gold.... :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.