Another boat down at Beauchamp Arms

senator

Passing down river yesterday there was another wooden boat down at the Beauchamp Arms, at least I hope it is another one and not the one that so many people spent so much time raising before. Didn't notice it on Thursday on the way up.

Very sorry but battery was flat so no pics but it did look as if it had just gone down as the canopy, which was about the only thing showing was still clean. Take it the high winds of Thursday, Friday and Saturday had something to do with it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope it isn't Caravelle III that's gone down again, but I have a horrible feeling that it might be.

Gary the new owner was doing the restoration with her on her mooring.

I hope even more that it wasn't the wooden top cruiser a bit further along that's gone down, as the owner was/is a liveaboard.

I was heavily involved with both attempts to raise Caravelle III, and it was bloody hard work. If she has gone down again, I really couldn't spare the time to raise her again as a favour, now I'm trying to run my own surveying business.

Caravelle III has an aft well with a door to the cabin and cutout in the transom (which was covered over with plywood as part of our attempts to seal her up for pumping out). When we left her after raising her we had stapled black polythene over the rear well to keep the rain out, although the last post Gary left on the other forum mentioned working on the aft cabin so he may have removed that.

From memory the wooden top further down the moorings had no aft well or door (I think it was based on a Bourne 40 hull), so what might be good news for Gary might mean that somebody has lost their home. I spoke to the owner when I first went over to assess the feasibility of raising Caravelle, he seemed like a nice enough chap. If it is his boat that's gone down, I hope he got off ok.

caravelle's mooring is under the trees there was another wooden boat on the free moorings west of the trees 3 boats west and another wooden boat on the moorings east of the pub . am going up wednesday so i guess i'll find out soon . i know a perspex window had blown out thursday someone contacted me about that . i haven't removed the plywood from transom . i have a pump in transom on auto, one behind gearbox on auto and one in engine room on auto so fingers crossed .

phew i hope i can breath a sigh of relife .. was just about to hop in the car and rush up, but then what could i do tonight . cant think which boat has a red canopy.. i'll def let you all know wednesday , i'll take lappy with me , but am sure someone local will post pics somewhere.