Sign in to follow this  
davidkeir

Rudder design

Can anyone provide a picture / technical drawing of a typical rudder placement in relation to hull/***** and rear of boat.

I off course am after the typical broads cruiser type.

I understand that every manufacturer would vary, but the basics should be the same?

Rudders vary wildly as do their fitment, from fully balanced to simple "flag" type, fittings from simple pintles to fully skeg protcted. I have uploaded a useful document for you.

rudder design.pdf

So am i right in thinking that most broads cruiser type rudder will be 'set back' from the stern of the boat.

Ie the stern offers a degree of protection whilst reversing the boat.

And the ***** will protect whilst going forward.

with the most vurnerable time being during stern swinging at speed?

It is difficult to say, but I seriously doubt any displacement cruiser would have any part of the rudder projecting beyond the transom, as for protection forward, if there is a bit of a keel and the rudder does not project below it then it would be protected, if it is a hung rudder without a keel then I doubt it would recieve any damage without the prop getting whacked too if going forward. Really without a line drawing of the particular boat it is a bit difficult to be more certain.

Hi David,

The boat you hired has the same underwater hull as mine apart from the fact that yours was longer. The Hulls are the same with only the tops being different in both the centre cockpit and fwd drive.

I am still on the boat so cannot upload my recent pics of Sally out of the water but she is not dissimilar to the one that Perry (Pks 1702) posted up earlier in the thread. The rudder does not go back as far as the one that Barry (Springsong ) posted.

I will post the recent pics up when I get home at the weekend.

Rod

My rudder on my Freeman does extend beyond the transom. I was quite surprised by that. It's protected by the bathing platformso it's ok but otherwise there would be a risk of clobbering it on a quay if mooring stern on.

This is my first post from 'phone so apologies if it hasn't formatted correctly.