1.5 bmc in my hampton safari

Hi there

New member here with a question about the above. Want to change the oil but can't get to the sump nut so I am assuming that I could pump the oil out from the dip stick hole with small bore tube? Any advice appreciated such as what oil to use. Original engine, built about 1970 something.

Bought it nearly a year ago in cambridge and moved it on to the thames, love it, love boating, and love the safari (first boat). Thanks in advance to anyone for advice cheersbar

Scott

I find the best (and cleanest) is by using a Pela suction pump. You can either put the tube down into the dipstick hole or get a piece of rubber tube that fits snugly around the end of the Pela tube and also over the dipstick outlet forming a tight fit and vacuum. It is then a case of pumping it out and having a spare canister to tip it into.

Hi Welcome about and wish you all the best with the new boat . Another source of a manual is here

http://www.calcuttboats.com/engines.html There is an operators handbook there as well that gives basic service info rather that full on repair.

With regards the oil I suspect some of the stuff quoted in the manuals hasn't been made for decades the last lot I bought was John Deere tractor oil, if you want to be certain go along to Boulters I have had several cans from them