Booked it!

bigray

So after much deliberation (and me trying to persuade the wife) we have booked our boat. We have San Selino from Richardsons for 4 nights in September. Just a quick question really the plan for the first night is to moor at Neatishead or Gayes Staithe. Looking the timing guides this is about an hour from Stalham. My concern is regarding the batteries as the boat could have been left for some time before hand will the boatyard charge the batteries before hadn and if not what chance is there of the power lasting?

Hi there. You've nothing to worry about. Firstly, in all likelihood the boat will have been out recently and very possibly until the day of your takeover. Secondly, if it hasn't Richardsons will run the engine before you pick it up. Thirdly, you have the option of running the engine after you moor up, although in my experience if your'e sparing with how many lights you have on etc battery power lasts for ages anyway (as long as the batteries are in good condition).

Thanks for the advice. I was considering taking a small portable solar panel i used to use for the caravan. It simply clamps onto the battery do you think this is viable for when then engine isn't running or are the hire yard likely to object?

Hi Bigray,

If you are that worried I would take one of those battery start packs you can buy if you do not have one, if memory serves me correctly they are around £20 or less and are a good back up if the engine start battery becomes faulty. I know a number of boat have a push switch to engage all the batteries to start the engine.

Enjoy your next trip.

Regards

Alan

your concern

My concern is regarding the batteries as the boat could have been left for some time before hand will the boatyard charge the batteries before hadn and if not what chance is there of the power lasting?

Broads01, answer

You've nothing to worry about.

your reply

I was considering taking a small portable solar panel

Ranworths reply

If you are that worried I would take one of those battery start packs

My answer....

Exactly the same as Simons, (broads01)

you will have nothing to worry about...

if the batteries go flat call the boat yard...

DO NOT TRY TO SORT IT YOURSELF, They will be with you (knowing Richardsons) before you have put the phone down...

And don't forget to write up your holiday tale...

Have a good time, I can't wait til mine

:Stinkycheersbar

Dont Panic!

on our boats we have a split charging system with separate engine starting batteries, this means that even if you run the domestic batteries flat (not likeley) you will still be able to start the engine to charge them up again..

have a great holiday!

Dont Panic!

on our boats we have a split charging system with separate engine starting batteries, this means that even if you run the domestic batteries flat (not likeley) you will still be able to start the engine to charge them up again..

have a great holiday!

:wave hi clive, do i take it that you have the old style batteries with water in them, my hubby says that those with the gel now, can't be charged through the alternator if they go completely flat, is this true ? & how would you get around this if you had to have these kind of batteries on your boats when yours start getting too old ? lori :Stinky

Hi Lori,

Yes the gel batteries are harder to get an initial charge into if they go completely flat but that does not really happen,we dont put them on all the boats either.

when batteries fail we scrap them unless in warranty..