32 amp socket

32a socket 110v is I believe the same as 240v 16a Ian (i.e. smaller one), if you are looking for the larger type so you can plug into the electric boat charging socket when the 16a ones are taken up on the BA shore supplies then Jeckles at Oulton had some in stock last time I was there.

• 3 weeks later...

Ian,

I am sure that the 110v 32amp plug will be the same size as the 240v 16amp plug, however more importantly it will be Yellow, which is the standard for 110v plugs and sockets to avoid confusion with 240v on construction sites. The one you require is an IP44 as shown on http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 6&ts=26553 and is slightly larger than the 16amp counterparts

The chandlers at Brundall sell these as well as the 240v 16 socket, which you will probably need if planning on making up a convertor lead to fit your standard 16amp shore power lead.

One last very IMPORTANT thing to bear in mind, if you are making your own lead or convertor to plug into your own 16amp shore power lead, your 16amp lead (and indeed your boats electrics) needs protecting by a 16amp fuse, if plugging it into a 32amp socket. The chandlers at Brundall also sell a range of inline fuse holders with various fuse ratings. I have recently made my own using a 32amp plug to a 16amp socket. I then connected a 16amp inline fuse directly to the positive terminal in the 32amp plug and then connected this to the flex, that goes to the 16 amp socket. The 32amp plug housing is large enough for you to hide the inline fuse within the waterproof housing. This means that all the 16 amp components are protected by a 16amp fuse. One last thing, make sure the flex you use is suitable for 240v 16amps, a lot of the three core flex sold in DIY shops is rated at 240v 13amps, altough you can sometimes find cable rated up to 16amps.

I have also heard that Brian Ward electrical at Brundall can supply these ready made, but don't know the price or premium you will pay over making your own, which is easy, providing you remember to add the fuse for your safety.

Hope that helps

Keith

All marina and BA riverside points are fitted with RCD trips and fused at the correct rating, shore power leads are not normally fused at all, the first fuses and RCD's after the power hook up post are the ones on the boats marine distribution panel. However if one is using the power post simply as an extention lead to power items directly then that obviously would be a different matter. :shock::D

Whilst I appreciate that most marina and BA electric posts are fitted with RCDs and that shore power leads are not normally fused, if making up an apaptor to convert the 32amp socket into a 16amp socket so that you can plug your 16amp shore power lead in and make use of the 32amp outlet on the post, I would still strongly advocate installing a 16amp fuse in the adapter to protect the 16amp socket on the adapter and the unfused, but rated at 16amp shore power lead.

Drove accross to Loddon after the BA launch last weekend to visit the Dilraj and on returning to the car, took a look along the staithe. The post there has one 16amp and one 32amp socket, Out of each was a two way adapter, one of these was then split further, and further down the staithe was another boat powered from a neighbouring boat. A total of six boats powered from two outlets. Me thinks the BA could do with installing a few more posts at Loddon. :idea:;):)

Pete,

I agree more posts and sockets would be good, however at least one person who is a member here and at NBF, has approached the BA and been told that there is no plans in the near future for more, due to monetry constraints. I have noticed that more and more of the 44ft new Alpha's in hire, particulerly Barnes and Moonfleet boats, are appearing with shore power, which is not only intended for use when in the home yard, as they seem to go out on hire with shore power leads. A lot of the new Barnes boats have electric ovens and hotplates and need both the engine and a generator running to power the oven, so I suppose the addition of shore power is designed to avoid the annoying running of engines at peaceful moorings, however this will only put more pressure on the limited amount of posts One other problem is that for the BA to put more sockets in on existing posts, if there is a chance of hire boats hooking up to run electric ovens, they would need to ensure that the cabling is sufficient to supply the full 16 or 32 amps per socket. Perhaps it is time for the BA to consider putting in a lot more sockets on the posts, but rated at 5 or 6amps, which should be enough for the average boat to power the charger to top up the batteries.