You Don't Want to Be Doing That

:lol::lol::lol:

We have had a couple like that, (one quite famous!) make sure the back doors are shut as if they slide back in then

it could sink (as one did :o )

Yes, If it's the one I'm thinking of, they'd already had a barbie on top of the engine hatch before heading for Yarmouth at dusk....

I think it's called the "relaxed approach" (to other people's property) two guns

Unless of course you have a boat designed for it!

Yikes!

I know they say that the Shannon is intended to be recovered onto its carriage AFTER grounding on the beach,

but I was expecting a little more gentle approach...

I think that the Mersey, that will be replaced by the Shannon, requires the crew to reverse it back onto its trailer in the water, before it can be hauled out. Not something that I would like to do even in a calm sea (too many memories of coming in stern-to with Broads cruisers...) and certainly not with any surf running.

The Shannon will be beached, winched onto its carriage, and then turned around on the carriage (which has a built in turntable), ready for the next launch.

I presume that these trials were aimed at showing that it could be recovered in rough weather...

I don't know about removing barnacles etc, I just wonder about the potential damage to the hull after a few hard landings like that one.

I think that they have a GRP hull? Gelcoat damage followed by osmosis....?

Yikes!

I don't know about removing barnacles etc, I just wonder about the potential damage to the hull after a few hard landings like that one.

I think that they have a GRP hull? Gelcoat damage followed by osmosis....?

Quite right Martin! Surely the hull must have some reinforcement over the gelcoat?

AND THE SHANNON CLASS CAN DO THIS....

And probably some more....

:Stinky

All is revealed....

In that Youtube clip you can see really thick metal bands running along the keel.

No wonder she can go up the beach like a Tank... :)

• 2 years later...

I sometimes find that if I've read all the recent posts but still have a little time in hand, I delve back into posts of old, and should I find a post on which I'd like to comment I would do so.

As most of my posts could be described as "inane", it's starting to look like such posts would not be welcome. I very much hope that this is not the case. That would not be friendly.

In my "never known to be humble in his life" opinion, any post that is positive strengthens the forum. Any post that raises a smile, strengthens the forum, and any post that keeps the forum active to it's current level or above, strengthens the forum.

• Like 4