running a Gen

Guest Jonny

Hi all

we are in progress or purchasing a 2.5kwa gen it is surrounded with a tubalore frame will we be ok to run the gen on the stern on the boat while cruising?

Noise issues aside, you should not run unless the exhaust has a clear route away from the boat and can not "swirl" back aboard due to wind or vortex, I WILL SAY THIS QUITE LOUDLY AS IT COULD CAUSE YOU AND ALL ON BOARD TO KEEL OVER AND DIE.

521d_15702.jpg&ctext=%A9%20G.C.Slawson,%202006&maxsize=600&shape=1.345

well as you can see from the pic it would site in the read well to the right of the pic on top of the engine cover IE not the the walkway bit.

so would be ventilated as its open air

I make no comment other than that I have already made Jonny, just be very, very careful. If you are goung to use it at least fit a Co2 alarm in the cabin close to the stern.

I've just had a look at the picture again, if you mean anywhere in the stern well NO, NO, NO, NO, not at all, not now, not ever.

I make no comment other than that I have already made Jonny, just be very, very careful. If you are going to use it at least fit a Co2 alarm in the cabin close to the stern.

I've just had a look at the picture again, if you mean anywhere in the stern well NO, NO, NO, NO, not at all, not now, not ever.

SHIZER no heating on the move :(

just thought i would ask as we was going to do this when on the move so any ideas would be welcome

just thought i would ask as we was going to do this when on the move so any ideas would be welcome

I am pleased you did ask Jonny, sorry if I came over a bit stern, but I promise I only have your safety in mind and didn't want any room for doubt about what I was saying :-D :wave

Davids Right Jonny, we do have you and your family safety in mind.

CO2 fumes are dangerous and deadly. You dont know whats happening until you wake up dead :(

A CO2 alarm isnt expensive but it will provide you with a Life saver.

As you just dont know which way the wind may blow.

I take it you do not have an Eber or Webo,?

yer i think its a Eber runs off engine coolant i think or from the header tank not shure on that.

when we first bought Curlew and brought her from ranworth to south it was so hot and now only gets lilt warm if that farther says he thinks there is an airlock but not got round :roll:

I am pleased you did ask Jonny, sorry if I came over a bit stern, but I promise I only have your safety in mind and didn't want any room for doubt about what I was saying :-D :wave

no David i asked for my question to be answered and you did may not have been what i wanted but like you say you have peoples safety in mind

WE ALWAYS NEED ONE OF THEM ABOUT :naughty:

you neva know what part of you could get injured :-D

Davids Right Jonny, we do have you and your family safety in mind.

CO2 fumes are dangerous and deadly. You don't know whats happening until you wake up dead :(

A CO2 alarm isn't expensive but it will provide you with a Life saver.

As you just don't know which way the wind may blow.

Brian mate

the idea was for getting the GEN was for places that dint have shorepower so incase we woke in and tried to turn the engine over we would have a backup.

as for the gen running when the boat is in motion so we can have the oil rad on and some music :dance

On a less sarcastic note, I suggest anybody who believes that diesel fumes are not dangerous should read the scientific studies in refferal journals like the Lancet et al, and in particular those by Dr. Andrew Lucking of the University of Edinburgh and colleagues. They conducted a double blind, randomized cross-over study involving 20 healthy male volunteers aged 21 to 44 years.

We are talking about close proximity to fumes that can be directed into the boat by the source being close to the stern well.

Frankly if I see any more of this kind of advice contary to what is scientificaly proven to be dangerous I will delete it in the interests of safety, nor will I have any truck with anecdotal so called evidence like I have worked around diesels for years and I'm still OK. This is a matter of safety and Co is not the only dangerous constituent of either petrol or diesel fumes, though I accept it is the quickest acting of them.

well we have killed two birds with one stone over here i bought a battery charge of ebay so solves the charging situation.

so i think we would have the gen running on the bank when moored a good 10feet away from the boat when purchased

a little advice neva hurts :bow :pirate

well no i was more considdering making a seat out of the genny and sitting it in the main cabin common sense does come into this but obviously some people are that thick i guess as i thought jonny said on top of the engine cover at the rear of the boat not in the well and an extension to the exhast would be easy with some flexable stainless pipe but who am i to argue as theres plenty of boats with them already installed :bow

Guest Oiler

Hi,

If you have the space in the engine compartment. Then the way forward on this is to install it in there. With a "Y junction" fabricated onto the main's exhaust to share the outlet. A neat and cheap solution ;)

Rgs. Dick

Hi Dick

the only place we could mount it in the engine bay would take up little space we would have in there besides the heat aswell come do some damage to the electrics :roll:

well no i was more considdering making a seat out of the genny and sitting it in the main cabin common sense does come into this but obviously some people are that thick i guess as i thought jonny said on top of the engine cover at the rear of the boat not in the well and an extension to the exhast would be easy with some flexable stainless pipe but who am i to argue as theres plenty of boats with them already installed :bow

And there's the major point here, NEVER assume (except that somebody a bit thick will take it at face value) anything when giving advice on safety related matters, had you given a recommendation to route the exhaust away instead of just a couple of lines saying it would be OK then POSSIBLY fine, but you have taken two days to actually get round to giving a fuller explanation. My advice would still be just don’t do it unless the installation is checked by a BSS examiner as you have a duty to ensure that all additions made during the validity of the certificate comply with BSS requirements.

And there's the major point here, NEVER assume (except that somebody a bit thick will take it at face value) anything when giving advice on safety related matters

I think ill try to get things sorted on the boat the small things first.

i think i would now after the advice only when moored and a bit away from the boat as this is deemed safe.

The one question no-one has asked Jonny! is what on earth are you running that warrants having a generator anyway, I have the two way change over switch on my boat, I use No1 position for the starting of the engine, No2 for the general domestics, I run a CD player, cabin lights, nav lights and a small portable television, the telly is on in the evening for about 5 hours, lights about the same, but as I spend all my time in the back deck and usualy don't go to bed until about 2am, the cd player is on all that time plus one small light, so far I have never run out of battery power, and always have No1 battery to start the engine, I have two 110 amp hour battery's on board, if it's to mainly run the heater, why not just fix the existing heating so you have heating on the move, and save up for a webo or eber, you can pick them up on e/bay quite cheaply, and i'm not sure but I think the old BT vans used to run one of the above heating systems as do some lorry's so it might be worth giving your local breakers yard a call to see how much they would charge for one, I hate to say it Jonny but from reading on another forum I honestly think you'd p*** a lot of people off if you have a genny running for any length of time,

Frank we do how a Eber running off hot water from either the engine or clarifier.

and only staying lilt warm for a few seconds have yet to sort this problem out.

we would use the gen when cruising to run heating HIFI ect not installed a car stereo yet as we need to replace the dash that will be in when we have the dash sorted.

the purpose for the gen was using it when in an area with no shore power then i put up a post for some advice about running the gen while cruising having to being run in the rear well (see pic)

Guest OSDguy

Please remember if you run a genny on the bank 10ft from your boat that the fumes may drift into some one elses area, the noise pollution more so - 10ft away from your boat is 10ft closer to someone elses.....that said hope you get the issues solved....you want warmth???!!!! wimp :-D :lol: