Sign in to follow this  
Jonzo

engines

I believe inboard Nanni diesels (on either shaft or hydraulic drives) are the weapon of choice for most broads hire boats these days as they're quiet, reliable and fairly economical. There's quite a lot of factors that would influence engine choice for a private boat though.

Um.. Well...

Size of boat, type of boat, weight of boat, type of hull, practicality of installing a particular type of engine / powertrain, and probably most importantly the size of the owner's wallet...

For a more 'cost effective' solution, I believe it isn't too hard to come across reconditioned marine diesels - I believe it was (and maybe still is) quite common for hire yards to use these on new builds.

Hi All, You can't beat a BMC 1800, built to last and just slightly smaller than a double decker bus. Missouri Star's engine was fitted by Noahs son and is held together by string but if it ain't broke don't fix it! PS. sorry for the smoke on start up.

Steve

could i have members views on engines for boats what type inboard or out board advanteges of one over the other and what make would they reccomend for performance and reliability i worked alot on perkins desiel as an apprentiss and found them reliable and easy to work on but are they the same on boats

A bit like asking what is the best engine for a car, the obvious reply would be what car and what do you want to do with it? :-D So, what baot and what do you want to do with it is the question?? :-D

Well obviously the best engine is a modern common rail computer controled unit giving emmissions to comply with latest Euro regs and geared and proped to run at it's most efficient revs for your normal cruise speed. However that is unlikely to be available in anything except a new boat so you will need to compromise and as has been said it will all boil down to the type and size of boat and your budget in the end.

:wave well depending on the size of the boat you could go electric ex pilot was thinking of converting his boat no need for a gearbox say a 24 or 48 volt battery pack a curtis controller and a fwd and reverse lever and seperate throttle the battery pack would need regular charging though a good single phase charger and maybe a second hand motor off a forklift truck but think of the pease and quiet while cruising ahhhhhhhh :-D

http://curtisinst.com/index.cfm?fuseact ... y&catID=11

:wave or then again go LPG Perkins do a conversion for their diesel engines to LPG - change the cyl head so spark plugs can be fitted remove the injection pump and a gear driven distributor is fitted a gas mixer unit is fitted inline on the inlet side timing is altered to optimise power and an inlet and outlet water pipe is needed to heat the mixer unit ie use the heater oultet/ inlet options this system is fitted to 70s and 80s caterpillar forklift trucks ie V60 Upwards and T100 Upwards