Sign in to follow this  
pks1702

Seal & Canoe

Coming down the Yare on Bank Holiday Monday we saw a canoeist and slowed to give him a wide berth, as we did a Seal came up behind him. The Seal followed the unhappy Canoeist for around a mile despite the Canoeist changing sides of the river to try to shake it off.

We saw a baby Seal in the area the previous day so whether this was a protective mother or a Seal having fun I don't know.

The Canoeist looked happy when the Seal finally turned back.

post-79-13671339912_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713399127_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713399133_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713399138_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713399404_thumb.jpg

Been waiting for those Perry, I think I would have been more than a little concerned had I been in that canoe, not that I have been in one since I was about twelve.

I think that i would have upped tempo of my Paddle speed to put a bit of space between the seal.

THose seals have teeth !

Guest JoeReu   
Guest JoeReu

Aww... that's so cute! But as someone who has been attacked by a moorhen (happily dangling my legs over the front of the boat minding my own business, appreciating nature and all that... then began what we now refer to as 'the scene from Birds'. Anyway....), I can also see why the canoeist might have been nervous. The most beautiful or cute creatures can have a nasty bite!

The Canoeist smiled at first but as it became clear he was being 'stalked' his smile disappeared.

In the last shot you van see that the Seal actually tried to get on the back of the Canoe (make of that what you will :-D ) the look on the Canoeists face says it all :o

Perry if it saw your bathing platform i think you would have a hard job shifting that seal :-D :)

Perry if it saw your bathing platform i think you would have a hard job shifting that seal :-D :)

No problem Jonny, club it, bleedin' vermin.

Super pictures Perry.

Once in a life time opportunity for pictures like that.

Thanks Paul,

Just lucky really and happened to have the Camera around.

Not taken with my L200 F2.8 as I have found this pretty big for a walk around lens, although you seem to manage very well with your 100-400. I have purchased a Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS as a basic walk round lens the reviews for the price were very good and initial results appear acceptable but clearly not as good as the Canon although it does have a stabiliser built in like the Canon which makes up a bit for its slower speed.

I still keep my bag with the other lenses with me but if I am wandering about it is a bit more manageable. I will see what the quality is like over a reasonable test time.

Edit for spelling error

This is not the baby Jonny its an adult, could be its mother though.

I took some pictures of the baby on the way up to Somerleyton but as you had posted good shots of it thought I would post the adult. Don't want to steal your thunder :-D

Yes i have to agree as i don't have a Camera that cost a few hundred quid there good shots :-D

It's a camera with a Flying Lady Jonny. :-D

Only just seen this thread - superb pics Perry. As Paul says, once a in lifetime - at least the canoeist hopes so! I didn't expect that Sigma to be in the league of Canon L glass but I've always found it the closest thing to a one size fits all solution and again it performed admirably on my recent travels. I hope you're getting on well with it. The seal pics would suggest you are....

I didn't expect that Sigma to be in the league of Canon L

Nor did I Simon but on the basis of alternatives for a 'walk around' lens it seemed a good choice, your experience of a similar and the reviews led me to believe this was probabaly the best all round choice.

I have a 17-40L a 70-200L a 50mm L but for all round ease of use a one size fits all is probabaly going to get me more shots than trying to change lenses.

Early days but it does seem a good choice for the money

Some great photos there. I've heard of several stories of kayakers being met by seals, and as far as I know they've ended happily. They jsut seem to be very inquisitive, although I'd stay well clear of them around the breeding season (around this sort of time of the year).

Here's an amazing video of a seal and some sea kayakers.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mb8Elj_tiRk

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.