Help On Camera Choice

Baz

Hi all,

I used to enjoy photography a great deal, a long time ago, and have owned a lot of cameras over the years, but have now decided I need a new pocket type of camera, but to be honest, because I've used the same few cameras for such a long time, the world of photography has evolved so quickly, I've been left behind, and now find that I haven't a clue about what is, and what isn't,  the camera to buy, within reason of course. So could some kind hearted soul, possibly suggest the way to go. Even your own feelings towards your own camera will be considered.  Many thanks all.

Kind regards all

Baz

Hiya DF,

Lovely cameras i must admit, but unfortunately not what I'm looking for. All I need as something small enough to slip into my shirt pocket perhaps. I do have a great camera in the Nikon, an entry type of camera in the D40, but just need a much smaller one, and unobtrusive.

Thanks for the suggestion though, many thanks

Baz

Hi Baz. I use a fairly basic Nikon D3000 SLR which I find ideal for most of my photography which is mainly tram orientated. If I wanted to be a bit more arty I would probably have to upgrade. The trouble with SLR and bridge cameras is the shear bulk and that is were compact cameras come into their own and can be a real boon and I always carry a small Canon compact when out with the movie camera. I would tell you the model I use but it is so compact I can't find it!  :cry

Fred

The Canon Ixus is the type of thing I had in mind, but hoping with a yeh or ney from someone who may have used it, or maybe have some knowledge about the end result. The web sites are great for looking, but don't really give me an owners comments or experience of the camera, and to be honest, I just can't buy after just looking at a picture, but, you're on the right track .

Hello Fred,

Thanks for the input. That's my problem exactly. The old cameras I always take with me, are old Kodak slip in the pocket thingies. I do actually get some good shots from them, but time marches on I'm afraid, so , in the drawer, and start looking and spending. I suppose what I'd go to, would be around £150, but not absolute.

Baz

Baz,

My advice is Sony WX200.  £166.40 delivered free off of Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AWMDY6I

It is what I use for my Captain's Blogs - great HD Video (Upto 1080p) and 18MP cystal clear photos, and 10x zoom.

It is also the worlds smallest 10x zoom compact camera.

I've attached an example photo taken with it (note this will be resized here from the original so won't reflect the true clarity of an original image)

post-534-0-85597900-1375827880_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I used to enjoy photography a great deal, a long time ago, and have owned a lot of cameras over the years, but have now decided I need a new pocket type of camera, but to be honest, because I've used the same few cameras for such a long time, the world of photography has evolved so quickly, I've been left behind, and now find that I haven't a clue about what is, and what isn't,  the camera to buy, within reason of course. So could some kind hearted soul, possibly suggest the way to go. Even your own feelings towards your own camera will be considered.  Many thanks all.

Kind regards 

Baz

The choice available now is so vast, with so many very similar specifications.

A good quality camera that can be "slipped into a shirt pocket" is the holy grail for 99% of buyers now, so they are the most commonly available.

It's all rigidly controlled by compromise though.

A compact camera with the inevitable small sensor will never give the pixel clarity of a large sensor, as found in bulky  DSLR's and a few bulkier "compacts".

The clarity of the through the lens optical viewfinder of a DSLR is hugely better than any rear mounted LCD.

I find the most workable solution is to not keep trying to find the "ideal" camera, but settle on two or three, and use whichever best suits the task at the time. 

I use a Canon 500D SLR, a Fuji HS50EXR Bridge, and my HTC HD smartphone.

hi baz, ive got a panasonic TZ10, it's quite a hefty little camera, but it got a great zoom & loads of different scenes to use on it, it's a really great allround kind of camera, & the video is excellent, i did have a little samsung compact camera, but the video was lousy, & the sound was'nt great either, but it was alright for ordinary photography, lori :-)

Last year I sold all of my DSLR gear as it just wasn't getting used. In it's place I now use an Olympus Pen-Lite E-PL3. With the standard lens it's not exactly pocketable, but with the 15mm pancake lens it is not much bigger than a normal compact. The picture quality is outstanding straight out of the camera with no processing needed. It doesn't have quite the full functionality of a DSLR, but still has more than enough to get creative.

Well, you've all certainly given me some food for thought, so many thanks for that. So far, considering cost, I've reached my decision, and this involves 2 cameras, firstly Robin's  Sony WX200, and secondly, Lori's Panansonic TZ 10. At the moment I'm heading towards Lori's Panasonic, mainly due to the physical size of the camera, I have largish hands you see, and reading up on both cameras, the Sony is not compatable with my Mac computer on the WIFI front, but not sure about the Panasonic. It's not that important to be honest, just nit picking.

So, so far all, thanks for your input, and anybody reading this, and would like to add a comment, please do.

Many thanks all.

Baz

LORI,,,,,One for you. I've just looked at another model Panasonic, the Panasonic TZ35-K, and this is £20 cheaper than yours. Do you know what the differences are, plus, in old money, do you know what the physical sizes are for both cameras.

Baz

Hi baz, the TZ10 has only 12 megapixel camera & 25mm to 300mm zoom lens, & only 12X optical zoom, whereas the TZ36-k has 14megapixel lens,& 20X optical zoom, & is 24mm -480 mm zoom lens, it looks like they have the same size screen,& they look the same size camera, they have a leica dc lens on them, & are quite chunky but great to hold, hope this helps. Lori smiley-vault-character-295.gif

smilie_girl_205.gif hi baz, ive never had any problems with my camera, & ive never had any problems without view finder, you just look on the screen & you can see everything clearly, ive had my camera for about 2 years, & it's been a great camera, i only had problems with syncing it into my computer, as it's a samsung,& it does'nt like quicktime lol, but i just put memory card into computer & do it that way, & when i bought the camera i got £50.00 back, just as they promised, you my be able to put it in your pocket but it will be on the little heavy side, lori smiley-happy088.gif

I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ1 a few months ago. Having previously only owned Fuji digital cameras, I have to say that I am extremely impressed with what it can do and it is most certainly a "pocket" camera. The reviews on the Panasonics were pretty good whilst researching a replacement point & shoot for me and the ability to shoot HD film swung the choice in the end.

I also wondered how I would cope without a viewfinder, but it has been fine. Obviously it does get a bit awkward in strong sunlight at times, but I seem to have managed so far. To be honest, although there are lots of scene settings etc. I have so far just left it on auto scene recognition which is quite clever ... even to the point it recognises when you are shooting into the light and compensates amazingly well for it. I am also impressed with it's macro capapbilities too:

9455351734_c2f51347da_n.jpg
Bee by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

An example of a landscape view with it:

8989819380_6db37dfdb2_n.jpg
The view from Hardley Mill by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

The HD film it shoots is very good quality - it's only drawback is the amount of wind noise picked up by the mic but I'm investigating ways to try to cut this down. There are some examples of film shot with the camera on my YouTube channel - the quality was reduced for upload however:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BroadlandMemories

All in all, I am very pleased with it!

• Like 4

Hi adnams girl, ive had the same problem with the sun, but i gound one of these from camera exchange, now i don't have problem lol, it fits on the back of your camera & the shade bit can be taken off if your taking pics indoors, it's a brilliant piece if kit, it comes in two sizes so take your camera to shop to make it's the right one.

post-296-137597545253_thumb.jpg this is it closed .post-296-137597548243_thumb.jpg this is it open, just don't forget to switch your camera off before you close, like ive done on occasions lol. Lori :D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Hi Lori and others,

I've finally decided on my new camera. It's a Panasonic TZ30, a lovely looking camera, with everything i need, all except a user manual in English lol. That was sorted by buying one on Ebay , in A5 as well, so well pleased. 

Many thanks for all who submitted their opinions and suggestions, which were much appreciated. Just time will tell now whether I've made the right decision, in the lap of the gods eh .

Take care all

Baz :clap

• Like 1