Aston Boats

Just noticed on another thread that a member posted saying Aston were soon to close.

What a shame this is, another hire fleet gone from the south, does anyone know the reason? is it retirment and time to cash in on the assets or is it just that the hire business is so bad now that it is another yard that just cant make ends meet?

Would I be right in saying that apart from a couple of non affiliated yards in Loddon just about all that is left on the south now is 3 or 4 at Brundal?

I have no further information Ian, though I did read the same message as you. The reason for replying is to say that there are 3 hire yards in Brundall; Alphacraft, Swancraft and Silverline Marine. There is also one at Oulton Broad, Topcraft. Those are the Hoseasons yards. There is a Blakes yard at Reedham, Sandcraft or something like that and I think there might be another one up towards Norwich. And yes, there are a couple of independents in Loddon. Pacific Cruisers always seem to have their boats active.

Yes they always look well turned out I must say.

I was giving this some thought over the weekend. If you had a fleet of say 10 craft all 20 years or so old and really need renewing. Would you invest £1-1.5 million in 'new stock' given the diminishing numbers of holiday makers coming to the Broads. Or would you sell your stock turn your boatyard into a Marina for private craft for which there is real demand and turn your yard into private waterside residencies.

Call me a heathen but if it were my money in this climate I know what I would do.

I think that was the main problem Perry, The boats were all getting to the stage where they need money spending on them and some of the fleet probably were due for replacement . I also think Mike is sick of the red tape.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had it on good authority when I was on The Broads last week that Len Funnel who owns Ferry Boatyard & Waveney River Centre has indeed bought The Aston Boats Fleet but not the yard,which as I understand it is being kept open for repairs, maintainance, pump outs etc

cheers

Boycee

:band

Just been talking to Micheal at Astons

about a quote for Aston songbird for next year and infact there not being run from WRC yard at Beccles but the horning ferry or ferry marine at horning number as follows

01692 630 392

just to keep you updated and songbird is now being called shining emblem

Jonny