Time for another :-D

brandenjg

Took three hours longer than expected, cost double the amount as have to rent the trailer till Monday, but the boats out and ready to be worked on :D

I have to say a massive thank you to the Carrow Yacht Club as without them I would of been up s creak without a paddle. A rowing club were using the slipway I was meant to be using and wouldn't move to let me quickly get the boat out so fortunately the CYC let me use their slip.

A bonus of this was that I found out some history of my boat. Turns out it used to be moored at the CYC and owned by a police diver. The name I was given was the same as I had on the old documents and by chance the bloke telling me was the signature on the document as he performed the BSS a good few yeas ago.

Attached is a photo of the boat just as she came out the water.

Branden :D

post-465-0-16934600-1423332449_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a slow 2 weeks work on the boat but it's finally starting to take shape.

The hardest job was removing the boat from the trailer. Simply put, it just would not roll on the rollers, so instead I had to jack the boat up using a trolley jack and rest it on tyres above the trailer so we could pull the trailer out by hand after lowering it all the way down.

Brandens Top Tip, boats on tyres slip. The trailer caught one of the tyres and the boat fell at an angle rather than lowering down level on the tyres. Fortunately it's on the tyres and stable just a lot closer to the ground so I can't paint the underside at the moment. I'll jack the boat and place on blocks in the coming days.

The following is the work that's been done so far. Branden :D

EXTERIOR:

The old broken wood rails have been removed and I'm almost ready to attach the rope rails I've made up.

Windscreen and canopy removed.

All holes/scratches on the boat have now been filled and lightly sanded and awaiting smoothing out.

Full exterior pressure wash and topside buffed with mystery bottle of liquid? ( cream coloured liquid missing label on bottle).

Rubber strip removed and gaps filled, broken rivets removed and replaced.

Solar panel relocated and new horn lined up to be fitted and wired.

INTERNAL:

Everything removed and stored in shed :P

Fittings stripped, full wash down and hoovered.

New roof lining ready to be installed ( Note: last attempt at roof lining failed as I'm using an unusual material), Bead to hold roof lining up sitting in place to get it used to the shape.

Table shortened to allow more leg room.

Pictures below icon_

post-465-0-53209100-1424718892_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-13318200-1424718977_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-67175200-1424719034_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-65420500-1424719117_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-05286200-1424719261_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-88358000-1424719419_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-07415400-1424719493_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-51398800-1424719553_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-99636100-1424719613_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Branden, I too have a Dandy that I am renovating so I am following your posts with great interest. I too was cosidering a hard top cover for the helm and I have been trying to figure out a way of using perspex so as too give good all round vision but its working out how to get the thing folded down for bridges etc thats got me puzzled at the moment, but I will persevere. I have been at the renovation lark for about two years now, she hasnt been in the water since I bought her, whitch brings me nicely onto a question for you. I want to put in two bilge pumps, port and starboard but as I dont know how she sits in the water Im not sure where to place them. I wanted to put them under the seats in the cabin but if she sits heavy on the stern it seems that this place wouldnt be a lot of help if any water got in. Any sugestions would be gratefully received. Well good luck with the rest of your refit and I look forward to reading all about it, and maybe nick a few ideas lol.

All the best Jim

• Like 1

Hi Jim. Im not 100% sure how to answer the bilge pump question because so far i've not had enough water in them to need to use my own bilge pump so never installed it.

I sponge the condensation out every now and again and that's all that's needed.

On my dandy the bilge runs from the bow to about half the length of the boat towards the stern, then there are fibreglass patches to block off the rest ( not sure if yours is the same) so the only viable place for the pumps would be under the bunks.

The boat does sit deeper in the water at the bow so any water would collect at the front.

As far as a hardtop and bridges i think if you can keep the height under 7ft you should be fine to go under most of the bridges on the broads without having to lower it atall.

Hope this helps abit :-D Branden

P.s You'll have to put some photos of your own project on here at some time so we can see how its going.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got the window seal for the front window, now all i need is a nice bit of weather to fit it. Ive got rid of the old alluminium one and went for a rubber seal hopling it wont be too difficult to fit it will post photo when fitted

• Like 1

Managed to get the sheet of perspex to the boat without any damage only for my brother to cut it 1" short so it didnt fit. I cant put on here what i called him but it suggested my mum and dad wernt married when they had him. Plan b is now in operation.

Hi easy rider, looking good so far :-)

Right, time I did a bit of an update on how things are going. Well that lovely windy day we had on tuesday seemed like the perfect day for me to launch my boat back on the water (note to self, next time check the forecast before booking a trailer). So she's back afloat and safely at the moorings.

Now to try and remember what jobs were done since my last post.

My Cork rooflining has been fitted and thanks to using the correct adhesive has stayed firmly in place, all walls and bunks have had a fresh coat of paint.

The boats rope roof rails are secured and work perfectly.

My transom has been raised so that my long shaft outboard will sit properly in the water but the transom can be quickly lowered for a short shaft if needed.

Carb cleaned, gearbox oil and 4 stroke oil changed and hydrofoil fitted resulting in a much more responsive motor.

Horn installed and working, cabin speakers relocated for better listening experience.

Perspex for windscreen cut, frame modified and almost ready for instalation but looks like the hardtop plans are out of the window for now :'(

I'll upload the remaining pics when i can get to my laptop.

Thanks for reading this project, its certainly not over yet.

Branden :-D

• Like 4

Hi branden sounds like youve been busy. Cant wait to see the pics and to hear how you get on with the windscreen. As my perspex was cut too short im now thinking of fibre glassing a section down the middle of the window from top to bottom and making it into two windows instead of the one big one. Im just wondering if it will be strong enough.

I should be getting down the boat this weekend after the jumble on sunday to put the screen on, so i can take some external pics then. :-D

The outsides not quite there yet but definately getting there. I think a good project never finishes.

I'm toying with whether to vinyl wrap part of the boat aswell so if that works ill upload pics.

Branden B-)

After the mishap by my brother cutting the new window too short i decided to put in centre column to make two windows instead of the one big one. Attached photo is of the tenplate for new centre piece. Now for some time off work when its not blowing a gale to finish theu job off.

post-17992-0-87831700-1428944176_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hi easyrider, that looks better than an original dandy window shape :) you'll have to get some close ups of the screen when fitted as I know mine was leaking like mad due to the metal frame being riveted on and not sealed by the previous owner.

It's good to see another owner putting the time and money into a dandy restoration as most are just wrecked and abandoned. We'll have to head to a forum meet one day and show of the dandys. Branden :P

• Like 3

Hi Branden I think it looks better with two windows as well and cant wait to finish it. Im also going to change the side windows as well possibly making them into two windows either side. Will post pictures when done. I know a lot of people dont like dandys and think there ugly boats but for their size they pack a lot of room inside. I myself think they are a cute little boat

• Like 2

Well that didnt go according to plan. Fibreglass cloth arrived but it was 25gsm and not 250 gsm that i wanted, still it will come in handy for the final layers. Re-ordered the correct cloth but will now have to wait till friday for delivery so window fitting now been put back a week. Senior moments are great aint they

• Like 2