First time.

Guest shaun4767

Guest shaun4767

Hi there,

Myself and my partner are coming down in August and it's our first time. The boat we've hired is the Grey Goose from the Whispering Reeds boatyard at Hickling. Does anybody have any knowledge of the boatyard and also the boat itself " Such as is it a boat suitable for a 1st timer." Also I've heard rumours that sailing from Hickling I probably won't be able to go any further than the Potter Heigham bridge. Is this correct or just rumours???

Thanks for your help.

Shaun & Jill. :-D

Hello Shaun & Jill

I hired Grey Goose 4 in April. The boat was nicely presented, immicaulately clean, and the fixed berths were made up for our arrival - something many yards don't do. Jon & his Mum who own and run the yard are two of the nicest people I have ever met.... all a good combination for a great trip and I'm sure you'll get some good, useful tuition from them.

Do you know which Grey Goose you are on? Grey Goose 2 & 3 have different layouts to number 4 that we had, and I think the interiors are a little different in fitout style. The Grey Goose's were built in the early '80's so are not the most luxurious or modern craft (as you probably guessed from their pricing compared to newer models) but have everything onboard you'd want to be comfortable, and their nicely maintained. The size of boat is easy to steer/handle, so that will also be fine despite no previous experience - not a problem.

I will post a few piccies here for you of Grey Goose 4, I know forum member Jonzo is out on Grey Goose 2 or 3 before August - so maybe he might have some piccies for you soon if you're out on number 2 or 3 in the class.

Enjoy your trip, all the best

Dan

post-93-136713404283_thumb.jpg

post-93-13671340429_thumb.jpg

post-93-136713404298_thumb.jpg

Guest shaun4767

Dan,

Thank you so much for that. Far more than what I expected. It is the Grey Goose 4 I've hired so this really helps. Will this boat pass under the Potter Heigham bridge??? Sorry for all the questions :) Next time your in the Wakefield area of Yorkshire the beers are on me.

Shaun & Jill. cheersbar

You won't get a better authority on the Broads' hire fleets than Dan! I do like that design of boat very much (the aft cockpit type) and I was impressed with Dan's pictures. Whispering Reeds have an excellent reputation for the quality of their customer care too.

Out of interest Dan, what actually are the Grey Goose boats? i.e. builder etc

Have never hired from Whispering Reeds but have heard nothing but praise for them, if the weather is looking that bad for the bridge then I think John will put the boat the other side for you before you arrive, storys abound of big water butts and lots of people on boats to make it low enough to fit.

This will only effect you if there is an awfull lot of rain so lets hope it is not an issue for everyones sake

Ian

Out of interest Dan, what actually are the Grey Goose boats? i.e. builder etc

Elysian 27 aft cockpit iam shure but it could be the bounty 27 arnt they the same?

Hello Everyone

Shaun - Glad the info was of use. Have a brilliant time!

The boats will all go under Potter Heigham Bridge, and they will give you good advice over when best to arrive there at the boatyard. The Grey Goose fit through the easiest of all the fleet, which will make it even less of a restriction, because they are quite low and also not as wide as some, which again makes them well suited to the bridge. A pilot will take you through the bridge - worth asking them the process/best advice as to your return trip under. They asked us to ring them Thurs pm, which we did and they then advised us yep no problems arrive whenever you want on Friday - so this was easy, but if levels are higher then can advise you when best to turn up.

Simon - Thanks for your kind words there, Jonny is right, they are know as either Bounty 27 or as Elysian 27 (like Grey Goose 4) and New Elysian (like Grey Goose 2&3). Bounty used the Elysian name as it was already well established when they bought the mould tools when previous manufacturer Appleyard Lincoln shut up shop, Bounty put a new top design on the hull, and later another new top - the 'New Elysian'. There's a bit more on them on my website page http://www.dhorner.horning.org.uk/bountyaftcockpit.html

Grey Goose 2&3 are 'proper Bountys' - they were built and fitted at Bounty Boats, originally in their hirefleet/to show the model to potential purchaers. Grey Goose 4 has joined Whispering Reeds more recently bought from a private owner, but was at one time with Bridgecraft. I am not sure where she was fitted, as many Bounty's designs were produced by other companies as Bounty willingly sold the moulds to anyone wanting them to produce their own.

All the best

Dan

Hi Shaun

You'll have a wonderful break on Grey Goose IV and you couldn't hire from a more customer-friendly yard.

Forget all your worries about getting under Potter Heigham bridge. You will not be accompanied by water barrels to load you down. At no time during the last twenty years has this technique been used by Potter bridge pilots. Broads Tours used the method to get their passenger trip boat through at the end of the season. Pilots use mobile ballast (people) when the need arises.

You might like to ring the pilots (01692 670460) on your departure day for advice as to the best time to arrive. The journey time from Whispering Reeds to the bridge is one hour and fifteen minutes. Have a wonderful holiday!

Guest shaun4767

Big thank you to you all. Dan you've been a godsend :-D . Paul&Lorna, we live just outside Wakefield. Between Altofts and Castleford to be precise. Both work in Leeds so dead handy for the M62 ( the carpark they call a motorway :dance )

Shaun&Jill.