Sign in to follow this  
Guest gregafloat

Consternation

I was singlehanded in my SeaHawk when I took this on 27 August 2006. It kind of calls for a "You've Been Framed" syle "What happened next?" doesn't it! :-)

post-225-136713407022_thumb.jpg

Hi Greg :wave

does the boat get grounded

the quant goes overboard

or the mast snaps

I was single handed in my SeaHawk when I took this on 27 August 2006. It kind of calls for a "You've Been Framed" style "What happened next?" doesn't it! :-)

he hit the bank while taking the pic

Well, I was just amazed that I got past...

Actually, it was on Waxham New Cut, north out of Horsey.

post-225-136713408559_thumb.jpg

Somewhere ive never been :(

I have always want to cruise the Waxam Cut.

So what happens if you meet someone ? are there passing places ?

So what happens if you meet someone ? are there passing places ?
Nope! You just head for the reeds and they appear to part miraculously - give way really. Mind you, that is the only time that I've been up there, so I may have been lucky.

Yotties need the wind exactly on their beam or they risk not being able to get back. Having the wind on your beam means that you can't stop, of course. I wonder how many stinkies realise that? :-)

If you pan north from here:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hickling&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=10.237486,23.950195&ie=UTF8&ll=52.749165,1.625354&spn=0.005117,0.011694&t=h&z=16 and zoom in the maximum you will see that it does get much wider (around 30ft) and there are plenty of moorings at the end). Once through the narrow bit the trees fall away and yotties will speed up a lot.

I have a very blurry picture taken as I suddenly realised there was a bridge just round the bend at the end with moored boats just where I needed the maxum width of river to turn and I was going like the clappers. Great fun!

Hi Broadsword,

My photos accurately reflect what I found in the narrow part (See the Google URL) and from what I can tell the Google images reflect what I found in 2006. Can't speak about things more recently. I did push my nose up as far as the initial dog-leg in the channel a couple of weeks ago, but I had mis-judged the angle of the wind when entering Meadow Dyke, so didn't go further.

I rathethink I will give it a look in early August Greg, if not next week! Judging by the satellite image, I would be able to turn at the bridge without needing to go through... well worth a look I'd say! Does anyone know whether there are available moorings there?

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.