Oxidation

Well! my poor old Freeman is in need of a good clean and polish, it's original Gel coat so can anyone recommend something for removing oxidation and giving it a good polish, I've found one product by Meguiars but at £25 for just under a litre it sounds quite expensive, :shocked

Frank,,,

Farecla No3, lots of elbow grease followed by two coats of silicone free marine wax (Farecla again). Preferably all administered by a polishing/buffing machine. (Cheap on Ebay)

After that lot you'll have a finish to be proud of, and you will certainly know what your right arm's for! :P

Hi Mowjo

I have tried all kinds of cleaners and polishes over the years for gel coat finishes, Have always found the oxidation returns very quickly. Last year I got talking to a fellow boater at Ranworth who's white gelcoat looked like new although his boat was nearly 20 years old. He suggested Collinites 920 fibreglass cleaner followed by Collinites heavy duty fleetwax. I purchase these products and polished our boat earlier this year and the shine is still holding.

Please see link below for site to purchase products.

well.http://www.shipshapenorfolkltd.co.uk/products.php?cat=3

Hope this helps

Thanks guys! so many products and everyone is the best, guess it's one of those try it and see areas, at least I know you have used those products, half the people I've spoken to claim theres is the best but have never used it, to make it easier I bought a battery polisher from Max TV http://www.max.tv/product-detail.asp?number=650GB works great on my little car but not tried it on the boat yet, they reckon it can polish a whole Transit van in one go, We'll see,, :roll:

Hi Jonny! I nearly went for one of those, but no leccie at the marina ruled it out, I have a small Gennie but thats only 850 watts, just enough to run my drill, sander and other power tools, I've got far too many things to pay out for on the boat so a bigger Gennie to run that polisher is out of the question at the moment, but thanks for the info,,,, :-D

Thanks Jonny and thank your dad as well, I can get hold of one ok as my friend runs a bodyshop and said I could use his, my problem is having no electric at the Marina, as I said I've bought a re-chargable one that works fine on the car, only problem there is if I run the battery out it takes five hours to recharge, and I need 240v to recharge it, i'm only doing the topside for now, theres about the same amount of polishing on the boat as there was on my car, and there was still plenty of charge left in it, so it should be Ok! But thanks anyway,,, cheers

Thanks Jonny and thank your dad as well, I can get hold of one ok as my friend runs a bodyshop and said I could use his, my problem is having no electric at the Marina

Frank there must be an office or workshop there run a long extension or ask them to put your boat near the office on hard standing not much to ask realy