The Old Boat Wreck in Salhouse Broad

Guest Gad

Did I take that?? :? ...Oh I did didn't I!...Please excuse me...Another senior moment :oops::oops: ..Still it was 43 yrs ago :(

By the way Clive... This has turned out to be a really fasinating thread and your links are "SPOT ON". A cracking read and very informative! :clap

Thanks for posting them...Terry

And for those who don't know ... MGB 56, also known as Morning Flight, was the home of Cmdr Ron Ashby (Hearts Cruisers) and his family at Thorpe Island. She was towed to Thorpe in 1948 and had to be partially sunk and dragged along the river bed to allow her to get underneath the rail bridges there. It was apparently only meant to be a temporary home for a couple of years whilst they built a house on the island .... in the end, the family lived onboard for 41 years!

The picture below shows Morning Flight at Thorpe c1963.

Carol

post-500-13671345927_thumb.jpg

54ft beam? What is it - a trimaran? Pardon me but I don't think the boat in the picture has 54ft beam - that would make its width about the same as half its length and the picture suggests those proportions are not quite accurate.

I was tickled by this bit though:

Will arrange for local pick up only (no postage).

I'll fire it off to DHL and see what they have come up with. :twisted:

54ft beam? What is it - a trimaran? Pardon me but I don't think the boat in the picture has 54ft beam - that would make its width about the same as half its length and the picture suggests those proportions are not quite accurate. :twisted:

Quite Simon

:naughty::naughty:

David with your move to canned meat products can we assume that Rachel has persuaded you to buy something with a bed sheet on?

Either that or you must be saving them for the old sailors christmas bash. mince beef must be like caviar after all that corned beef. lol lol

Interesting thread on MTB/MGB's built on the broads.

My father in law worked as a boy for herbert woods at potter late on in ww2. Seems that not all the timber provided by the MOD actually ended up in the boats they built and at the end of the war there was enough left over to start building the hire fleets !!!

he used to have some photo's of the bare hulls minus superstructures before they were towed down river for final fitting out in Gt Yarmouth, unfortunately these potos have been lost, shame really.

Andy

• 5 weeks later...
Guest sirdar

Hi all

The old wreck was named Water Witch. There were two wrecks along that side of Salhouse. Water Witch being nearest to the stern on moorings. The second has always been fully submerged and lies along the same bank but three quaters of the way towards the eastern ( Horning ) side exit. According to the old balliff who collected mooring fees in the fifties and sixties from his old green boat complete with even older seagull out board they were owned by the Norwich sea scouts. At the outbreak of war they were told to move them or sink them in case of invasion. as they couldnt move them enywhere they sunk them. Water Witch bottomed out before fully submerging . The other sunk completely. As a kid I used to fish from WW roof but I dont think Id risk it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers Sirdar

Hi Sirdar

Many. many thanks for that information! I hadn't realised that there was also another wreck at Salhouse .... once the weather warms up then I think a canoe round that part of the broad to take a closer look will be in order. If they once belonged to the sea scouts, then one would presume that there must be records within that organisation relating to them, or maybe even pictures!

P.S. Brian/Mods ... do you think that this thread deserves to be in the Broads History section as it has thrown up quite a bit of interesting hitorical info?

Hi Adnams girl and all.

The " second" Salhouse wreck used to be marked by red topped poles standing about 2 feet above water presumably to stop any unlucky person trying to moor over her. That would have been late fifties. From memory she appeared same size as Water Witch but was always below the surface.As you enter the Broad from Horning side as soon as bank straightens heading for WW she lay tight under the tree line as if moored to the bank. Happy hunting!

cheers Sirdar