The Old Boat Wreck in Salhouse Broad

Guest Gad

Guest keith

I read with interest on the wreck at Salhouse and as mentioned Norwich Sea Scouts may have owned this. I can tell you that i was involved with this group 1st.Norwich who had a water base at Wroxham. I have seen a photo of a very old boat which i believed had a aero engine with a prop to propel it (not in the water). The scout group do have a very large collection of photo's etc dateing back to 1908 which are held in the Archive section at county Hall in Norwich. I will try and find more info and keep you posted! :

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Oh wow !!

I seem to be sitting up late again having got lost in the East Anglian Film Archive website and have just come across a film from 1953 which features the Water Witch at Salhouse quite heavily. Made for the Childrens Film Foundation, the film follows four youngsters as they go out in a rowing boat to explore the wreck of the Water Witch. Quite a charming period piece .... but I seriously doubt that a Norfolk thatchers son in 1953 would have spoken like this!! :naughty:

Great footage of the Water Witch though.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/650

Carol

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I am researching the recent history of the Ferry Inn at Surlingham and the naval naval vessels that tied up outside. Now I recall about 1995 an MTB being temporarily on public display there before moving on. At the time I was told the original engines had been replaced and if my memory is correct, the same vessel took part in the D day landings. From my online researches I am guessing this was either MTB257 or MTB653. Can anyone clarify this and even more importantly has anyone a photograph of it especially at Surlingham. 

Thanks to all for reading this Paul

I understand that a lot of vessels of this general type including RML497 the Fairlmile B at the National Museum of the Royal Navy were fitted with Hall-Scott Defender petrol engines. Many of these engines were stripped out by the RN prior to sale and returned to the US under the terms of WWII Lease-Lend agreement.

I regularly travelled on the above when she was Western Lady III on the Torquay to Brixham service.

Later under the name Fairmile she did cruises to Dartmouth and onwards to Greenway Agatha Christies estate.

I have also been told that many war time petrol marine engines were not viable for civilian use, not just because of their eye watering consumption but because they were designed to run on fuel with such a high octane level not available for peacetime marine use.

38 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

but because they were designed to run on fuel with such a high octane level not available for peacetime marine use.

Marinised aero engines by the sound of that, I guess it would make sense to produce a common fuel that can be used in all sorts.