The Castle - Wroxham

NorfolkNog

Just wondered if anyone happened to have a photo of the Castle in Wroxham?

I went in quite regularly in the 70’s and 80’s and having missed a few Broads years in the nineties was very sad to find it closed next time I went. It was close to the river on the Coltishall loop although it was a fair walk along the road from Wroxham Bridge. I always thought it was a ‘proper’ pub and always seemed popular in its day. It was one of the few pubs at the time which did meals I remember – nothing fancy just good pub grub. In the later days they sold Castle Bitter which although not brilliant was better than the keg stuff. There was a very fine Bullards mirror in the gents I remember which I always admired.

It’s all housing now which is such a shame but the way of the world with pubs now sadly. Either housing or a Tesco Express two guns 

Any info or photos would be most welcome. Carol has been very kind in looking through her archives but we have not been able to locate a photo.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Popped in to the Wroxham library on our recent holiday and had a word with the very helpful folks there. They couldn't find many photos of the Castle but did turn up this one for me. It looks to be a very old photo judging by the attire of the ladies in the doorway. I'd still love to see a photo of it in more recent times.

Even though its now housing :default_crying1animated: the basic structure has changed very little. Sad loss.

Castle.JPG