Sign in to follow this  
jillR

lake lothing piccies

When will they get that Rail Swing Bridge completed

It is taking some time and reducing the air draft significantly

I'm going to a meeting next month at the Broads Authority offices to discuss the impending Lowestoft Bascule Bridge closures, so will try and remember to find out how long the railway swing bridge is going to be. As you probably know, it's currently undergoing (major) refurbishment - I just hope it's not like painting the Forth Bridge, so that they start all over again, as soon as they finish !!

Nigel

No probs......although just don't tell our MP Bob Blizzard - he seems to like getting as much political mileage out of the Bascule Bridge closures, even though he knows full well that there are very genuine reasons for it being closed as often as it has these last few months.

I just happened to go under the railway swing bridge at Oulton Broad this afternoon, and spoke to the contractors as we passed under, and they said that it's just about to happen - the removal of the scaffolding, that is.

The plastic sheeting has already been removed from one half of the bridge, so hopefully, it won't be long. If I can get any further update, I'll let you know.

It was the first time I have been along Lake Lothing (by boat) and was amazed by how many wrecks there are all along. I remember the 'Yellow Tail' which was half sunk in the salt side of Mutford Lock Bridge many years ago, but hadn't imagined so many others had been left to rot in the water all along the Lake. What an eyesore....! :roll:

Thanks for the update Nigel cheersbar

Yes you are right it is a bit of a ships graveyard and not much of an advert for the area for first time visitors entering the Broads from sea via Lowestoft.