Sign in to follow this  
Guest plesbit

If you like photographs / photography read this thread

Evenin' all (assuming you're reading it in the evening).

At this stage this is just an idea, but may go on to become reality if there is sufficient interest.

A number of people on this and other forums post their pics and many are very good. It is not unusual to see comments from others suggesting they would like to be "able to take pics like that" etc. I was discussing this with Lord Paul today and we came up with the idea of a sort of photography ramble, something for people with all kinds of cameras and all levels of experience. The plan is simple - we assemble at Point A, which is a nice picturesque spot, all armed with our cameras and we start taking some pics of where we are. The idea then is to look around and see what others are doing - have they seen something you haven't, have they chosen an angle you had not thought of, have they used some of the settings on their camera to make a better effect? Are others taking better pics and if so why, what have they done to achieve it? The whole point is to learn a little more about photography and maybe improve your work. Or maybe it's the other way around and you can help someone else improve what they've done or you've spotted something others have missed? The plan would then be to set off to Point B, on foot, and see what there is to see looking for photo opportunities along the way until eventually arriving at Point B, the end of the walk, where there just happens to be a pub. Of course, if you wish to just come along for the ride then that is equally possible, the whole thing is entirely casual and you can have as much or as little to do with the photographic aspect as you like.

A lot could be learned with any group of photographers but when you have a photographer of the stature of Lord Paul there to provide hints and tips we can probably all learn a thing or two. And besides Paul we would also hope to have one or two others with a decent amount of photographic experience. I am no pro, and I seldom post pics on here, but I've presently got several shots being used in illustrated guides of Oxford and Sydney, and even (would you believe) one on an exhibit at Seattle Zoo so presumably I've done something right.

My suggestion for our first attempt, subject to interest, would be a walk starting out at Salhouse Broad with opportunities for taking shots around the broad, followed by a walk from there to Malthouse Broad taking in the scenery along the way, which will include Woodfordes Brewery, the pretty village of Woodbastwick with its village green and mediaeval church, Ranworth Church and the views it affords all around the area and ultimately ending up at Malthouse Broad for some views of that broad and then, conveniently, The Maltsters would be on hand to quench any thirst we might have built up on the walk. I would expect a walk of that nature, done in an unhurried and relaxed manner, to take around 2 hrs from start to finish.

The important thing to remember is that it is not aimed at people with expensive cameras and years of experience but anyone of any ability, such as anyone who has a simple point and shoot and just wants to learn how to get it out of Auto mode and start taking a little more control over the results, or learn how to frame shots better. You can receive as much or as little input from others as you like.

Your thoughts go here....

hi heron

that sounds brill

not sure i can walk that far but would be interested in trying

if there were only a few of us perhaps we could hire a day boat and do the under potter

bridge thing with cameras

jill

Plan would be if the first one was successful then to look at doing others with variations on the theme.

Hi plesbit, Paul gave me the wink on this one and I'd definately be keen to have a go, I have a decent camera but I need someone to get behind it and take some decent shots !!

Colin

Sounds like a great idea, sadly I'm not going to be in Broadland for much longer this summer, despite living here, so will probably be unable to attend.

Sounds brill :)

Count me in also, i would love to be able to use my camera to its best and to here what other photo peeps and taking pics of.

Its great having the kit, but leaving it on auto all the time, isn't really using the thing how it should be used.

Great idea Simon :)

Bit of a point and press man me.

Got all the kit m8ty!

F this F that

ISO - OEV

Red Eye

WB

P/A/S/M

Wots all that about eh!

Half the manual is written in goat.

The other half by a dyslexic Japanese geezer.

Love to come. I'll get the old nagger to sort out the correct zimmer frame for the job and I'll be with you.

Hopefully we get to have a swifty livener on route.

Best I think that we have a starter. A bit of a sun upper. Followed by one or two swifties at lunch time and then a sun downer, when the old sun is over the flag arm eh!

Great. Oh! mustn't forget me camera. Me trusty Brownie or the dogs dangly bits. Let me know.

Count me in chaps. cheers

Okay that's more than I had anticipated so that's a good start. Thing is I'll now need to put to on my thinking cap to sort out some of the issues. Firstly, if we all walk from Salhouse Broad to Malthouse Broad, who do we get back again, plus obviously we need to sort out a "when". I'll go away and do some thinking, though any suggestions are certainly welcome.

On the question of when, when Paul and I were discussing it the favoured time seemed to be pointing towards a Sunday in September, what with all the other stuff going on in August and people wanting to be on their boats etc. And whilst I don't see this as a forum meet type thing, though thanks to Brian for allowing us to advertise here, I obviously don't want to spoil that by clashing with any of the forum events being organised so I'll take those into account too!

Anytime would be good for me and a Sunday in Sept. seems fine. Maybe a couple of us could arrange to leave our cars at Malthouse get a lift back in friend or family car, I could certainly do this and probably bring back myself plus three.

Colin

Guest Fioxgloves

Hi Guys

Would love to do it, have a half decent SLR Canon Camera but unfortunately my legs seem older than the rest of me!!! Any ideas of a 'ramble' that those of us that are less able bodied could participate in would be brilliant. Look forward to any responses. By the way I do drive!!

Carol xx

Carol when I sit down to do the brainstorming on this one I'll bear that in mind. The more people we can make this available to the better.

What about a meet up at Broads Haven ?

THen people can walk as far as they would like too ?

Just a thought Simon.

Okay, suggested date for this - Sunday 14 September. Paul / Bruce / (Clive??) how would that be? Anyone else that has expressed interest, please let me know how the date sits with you.....

Good news Bruce. So that leaves Paul to confirm (and everyone else that wants to come) and we're in business.

Hi guys and gals.

I have a wedding to photograph on the Sat 13th Sept.

That shouldn't cause any problems for me, other than I need to check for the Sunday as I am expecting some friends from Spain to stay over with me some time in Sept so will need to check the 14th with Daphne.

I,ll be back with an answer this weekend or sooner.

Just a thought, as walking can be a problem for some, and we can not be sure what the day will bring, so what if we were to meet still at Salhouse but stay for the duration.

This way if some needed to go earlier, or wanted to stay later, or if the weather turned nasty, then no transport problems would arise.

Just my thoughts, as there is a lot to see at that broad and the walk down to it too is very nice. ?

Right.

All systems are go for me on the 14th Sept.

The wife say YES!

So just left to get times sorted and decide if we stay at Salhouse or move on.

Will leave it up to you all.

Great stuff - so you, me and Bruce can all do it, now all we need is enthusiastic photographers!

Obviously this is the first time I've done anything like this so please forgive me if it doesn't all run like a well oiled machine. I've got a nice relaxing few days out on the boat now away from the computer and work so I'll have all the time in the world to think about what needs to be done before hand.

With regards to the length of the walk, my personal preference would be to go through with it as planned because I believe there are the opportunities to do a number of different things along the way and the beginning and end sections of the walk will provide different scenery, plus there would be our old favourite, The Maltsters waiting for us at the finish line. However, if people feel the walk is a bit much (I would estimate at least 2hrs, though it will be at a leisurely pace) then obviously we can knock it on the head. As you say, Salhouse Broad does provide a lot of different opportunities all by itself.

One of the places I would like to visit along the way, as it is a very picturesque country village with a village green and lovely old church would be Woodbastwick. But Woodbastwick is not actually that far from Salhouse so potentially if we need to shorten the walk we could head out to Woodbastwick and once we're done retire to the Fur & Feather instead? I should think 30 mins at a leisurely pace would get us to Woodbastwick.

hopefully learn something from you experts.

Experts?

That'll be Paul and Bruce then - I'm just the co-ordinator! Anyway, need input from some of the others who showed interest initially to make sure the date is suitable after all. Also need feedback on the length of the walk proposed originally and the alternatives subsequently put forward by Paul and myself to reduce the element of this if the original plan is deemed to be too far for some.

I'm going to be spending the rest of the week relaxing at Peebles Hydro and in between massages and games of croquet I'll try to give some thought as to what we can do online before the day comes and what to do on the day itself. Suggestions always welcome - and if Heron, Jill R, Pete (not PeteMarr), Mark (mbird), Brian, Roger the cabin boy and Carol (fioxgloves) can give an inkling as to whether they can come would be great. Those that previously had reservations over the length of the ramble I'd be particularly interesting in hearing their thoughts on the other proposals - I guess those who have not expressed concern over the distance would be happy with any of the options?

As already stated but I shall reaffirm I am definately up for it plus one other on the 14th and hankering along Pauls idea for a Salhouse broad plus perhaps Woodford as an initial test run, but will go along with the majority and looking forward to some tuition from the experts,

Colin

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.