Sign in to follow this  
pks1702

East Coast Diary

Well what a weekend that was.

The weather for East Coast boating has been truly miserable in general during July but weekends like this stick in the memory and carry you through the poor weather.

Our weekend consisted of our usual drive to the boat on Friday night, now less than three hours in comparison with almost four to Burgh Castle. A run round to Wrabness on Saturday, picked up a couple of buoys (ooh er Matron) took the tenders to the beach and had a BBQ and some liquid refreshment. Watched a beautiful sunset, tenders back to the boat where Rachel & Tina had a very odd drink, and spent a peaceful night moored on the buoys.

A couple of looks in the night to check the depth under the boats at LW, a very misty start in the early hours but the mist was soon burned off by the sun to reveal a scorcher. PM we watched the sea display for Harwich Sea Festival.

It was a long time coming but lets hope for some more like this one before the year is out.

post-79-136713412154_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713412163_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713412169_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713412174_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713412179_thumb.jpg

Perry, certainly a different way of cruising :-D

Looks lovely down there.

Now more to the point - what was in the drinks AND would my Brandy look as good in one of them? cheersbar

Thanks Paul,

I downloaded the photos last night at home and posted them, they were OK but on my laptop on 'the move today' they look a bit washed out - better check my laptop settings!

Your Brandy would look great in one of those and those charged with filling your glass would always be sure where to find you after dark cheers

Not sure where Rachel got the glasses I have never seen anything like them.

It was indeed a most memorable weekend, we tend to get so few like it mores’ the pity and it came t just the right time for me, did me a power of good. Now we've had time to settle in it has been a surprise to me the number of places there are of a similar nature within under an hours cruise from Shotley, add another hour or two and the list expands to some even nicer (if that could be) ones.

Thanks for the pictures Perry, fantastic stuff. Looks like you were certainly blessed with the weather as well! Also my observant eye noticed that you were drinking what looked like Tanglefoot, I always say, if you are going to drink canned beer, make it a decent one!

cheersbar

:oops::oops::oops:

Yes Howard your observant eye was correct.

I normally only have bottled ales in the bonded locker but did purchase some cans of Tanglefoot as they would lighter to ferry across in the tender than bottles. David & Rachel had bought some when we were on holiday I was surprised that it was not bad at all - for cans.

We did make up for it on Sunday with some pints of Chris Evans ;)

I'm sorry Perry but your pics make me want to :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

First Ian goes and gets the deal of the century and now you and David are off doing the kind of boating of which I dream and rubbing it in my face. :(

Seriously though, I love the pics so please continue to keep us up to date with what you're up to and post some more of your top quality pics - even if they do make me turn various shades of green.

I should add that the pics of Seajay are sickening. Do you think they'd swap? :roll:

It has to be said that we did have a small group of admirers come aboard Silver Dream on Sunday. They'd passed us at speed on another boat at sea and thought she looked fab so they came round and had a look when we were back in the marina. They were just as impressed by the inside as the outside too. It's just a pity they don't have more money!

I should add that the pics of Seajay are sickening

It is a tidy ship Simon but then so is yours. It just shows what is possible as this has been to the Channel Islands, Holland and along the south coast in recent years.

Sorry if the pictures made you Green, they were just posted for interest :oops: they look a bit odd I don't know what has gone on when I uploaded but hopefully it gives an idea of the area.

You Guys!!!!,

When You were admiring the goings on at the Harwich Sea Festival on Sunday I was just arriving back in Harwich by Taxi from performing my version of a valet parking service for container ships at Tilbury, as the tug was doing his best to shoot down the angry palm tree. Due to road closures etc I could have done with a lift from Ha'penny pier to the pound at Nav house.

As You could tell the Haven Patrol (St Nick) was otherwise engaged so I was forced to pick my way thru the morrris dancers et al alongside the quayside.

St Nick BTW was purchased as a Pilot boat at great cost to HHA and is indeed a beautiful boat. Brand new when I started work 9 years ago. Problem is she is an absolute dog as a sea boat and was relagated first to fine weather work then was dropped altogether from the pilot boat roster and they then kept on the 28 year old boat that she was supposed to replace as the 'spare boat' with St Nick being dropped to Harbour Patrol duties.

Lessons have been learned and both HHA and Us( PLA) who are ordering new pilot boats this year will now order one of a new type with the further order for 3 (HHA) and 3 (PLA) being ordered after the prototype has been succesfully working for a year. Strange to report that both authorities have tried out the different boats on offer and each have come to different conclusions with each others choice being rubbished by the other. Time will tell who has got it right. :o

Sorry for the drift but if you guys are around this weekend let us know where you will be and we will keep a look out for you as I am off this weekend but unfortunatly SWMBO is working so no boating for us.

Rod

Hi Rod

Would have been happy to give you a lift from Halfpenny Pier it looked pretty busy across there, Felixstowe Ferry looked to be doing a good trade.

Thanks for the background on St Nick I was quite surprised that while chasing the Water Skiers they were using their horn (which was for the boat quite disappointing) and when that appeared not to work resorted to shouting - surprised there was no hailer. As always Rod I am always interested in your 'work' tales.

This was also interesting

http://www.harwichhavenshipsandyachts.c ... 240d48a64c

We will be down this weekend, where we get to will depend on the weather but if you ever fancy a pint The Shipwreck has circa 6 guest real ales on at a time with a good turnover of new ones to try. It keeps us happy :naughty:cheersbar

Hi Boycee,

Just to report that Rod & Shirley did make it and a most convivial and cordial evening was had by all. Unfortunately The Shipwreck was wall to wall Adnams but the Explorer seemed to go down well cheersbar

It was however a very 'steady' evening :o

Nice to see you Rod & Shirley and thanks for popping in to see us.

Never in doubt Perry-he is a home banker where beer is concerned but in fairness him & Shirl are great company.He did ring me just after I sent you the post & said he would be there as he felt he needed to replenish his alchol levels

cheerscheersbar

Alan

:band

the Explorer seemed to go down well

Fine beer indeed, I’m not jealous honest ! :liar

I’m very pleased to see these valiant and heroic efforts to support our local brewing heritage, very well done indeed!!!

cheersbarcheersbar

I’m very pleased to see these valiant and heroic efforts to support our local brewing heritage

Its a tough job but we do it out of a sense of duty to keep the wheels of the local brewing industry turning ;)

The Shipwreck normally has 5-6 guest Real Ales but we heard a rumour that it may turn over fully to Adnams on real ales, can't find yet whether that is the case. While Adnams do some fine ales I do like to give the taste buds a change and try a revolving range of real ales. The argument against this goes if you find one you really like it will be gone the next time you visit. My answer would be 'make hay while the sun shines' :bowcheersbar

Hi All,

A most pleasant evening indeed. Thanks to Perry & Tina and David and Racheal for the hospitality. Pretty good food and at a very reasonable price as well considering that they have a bit of a captive audience at the marina.

That Batemans that came out of the rope locker (cant spell lazerette :naughty: ) went down very well sitting on the back of the boats in the sunshine. We could have stayed later but Shirley was not 100% after the night shift the night before and having that stupid bandage on her leg.

I dont mind an all Adnams place as long as it has more than just the regular Adnams Bitter which is not high on my priority list. The last time I was there they had Adnams Oyster Stout :dance:dance

but I could only have one pint as I was driving that day :cry:cry

Now as Boycee knows Real ale can do strange things to my constitution but usually needs to be drunk in quantity to have the desired effect :naughty:

Oyster Stout can have the same effect with only one pint :o:o:o

Rod