East Coast Diary

You are right of course Rod the RNLI gives its service free and the reason as boaters we should not pass a 'tin' without dropping some cash in. We thought perhaps the crew were keen to get back to the pub :grin:

There was a fair amount of 'big stuff' moving in when we returned to base.

Never ceases to amaze us that these vessels need way on to maintain steerage and yet some boaters seem oblivious to this fact, crossing close in front and expecting the large vessel to somehow avoid them when constrained by size and draft - I can only assume they are on a death wish. Th St Nick was doing its impression of a sheep dog getting between the incoming Stena Britannica and the yachts under power (yes power) and ushering them away from the path of the Stena. This was all going on at the turn up to the Stour which is a pretty narrow channel for a vessel of this size.

post-79-136713519759_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713519764_thumb.jpg

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great pics and report as usual Perry, hope things are going well for Tina.

Amazing how fast the big stuff is moving isn't it? Due to their size they tend to look like they are crawling but they are soon on top of the unwarey.

Ian

PS can you re order that sea for when we are down your way?

PS can you re order that sea for when we are down your way?

Of course Ian just let me know when ;)

It is something I don't underestimate from being Broads based; the trek to get out to see only to potentially be thwarted by a change in conditions.

When are you planning I will start talking to the weather gods now 2.gif

Thanks for your thoughts re Tina it has been a long haul with some setbacks cosmetically but the clinical news is as good as we could have hoped to date. Both of us have been hugely helped by the support of friends; she is OK and back to boating. Radiotherapy starts in the next two weeks which once complete will mean that some semblance of normality can return to life, it is then just fingers crossed for the future.

I did not spot any Ginger Seals from our ship evidently you really need your tender, next time....... Info below:

There are currently over 70 seals in the Walton backwaters, a small but healthy breeding population which has risen from only 5 in 1986.

The colony of both harbour seals (Phoca vitulina) and grey seals (Halichoerus grypus) are unusually of a russet colouration for much of the year due to the iron oxide rich mud that they haul out onto.

The seals enjoy resting on the mudbanks, and prefer regions where rivers flow into the sea, like the backwaters, because these waters are permanently ice-free.

post-79-136713520012_thumb.jpg

Hols start 1st of August

We will be on away last week July first of August. Hoping to get up to Limehouse with company of our Tech Mod and call at few few ports on the way up and back, so definitely in our interest that it is good weather

Talking of shouts we heard another on Saturday pm two yachts aground on the Deben Bar. For those of you that don't know it is the entrance to the River Deben which is an East Coat Jewel. The 'monster' that guards the entrance however can be a fearsome place when any sort strength of wind is blowing from the South or East in particular.

We heard that the Felixstowe Ferry had assisted in getting them off the bar and looking at the wave heights the Ferryman deserves great credit :clap:clap

Yachts rescued at Felixstowe Ferry

Last updated: 17/05/2009 13:38:00

RESCUERS were praised today after battling against five-metre high waves to pull two yachts with 16 people on board off a notorious sand bar.

The yachts got into difficulty and ran aground on the Deben bar in the mouth of the river at Felixstowe Ferry.

John Barber, who runs the Felixstowe foot ferry, and the crew from Giles, Felixstowe Ferry Sailing Club's rescue boat, were able to pull the yachts off the bar, and guide them out of the area to safer water.

The ferry and the rescue boat had to overcome five metre high waves and choppy waters to reach the yachts and guide the vessels out of a precarious position.

The yachts, from Britannia Sailing School on the Suffolk and Essex border, were unaware of the shallowness of the water, and its reputation for catching out even experienced sailors.

Luke Rudd, rescue officer at Felixstowe Ferry Sailing Club, and who helped in the rescue, said: “The conditions were awful, with high waves and rough seas, and it was a really difficult situation from which to rescue the yachts.

“John Barber, who drives the ferry, showed excellent seamanship to pull the yachts off the sand, and we were able to use our knowledge of the area to guide them back into deep waters and see them on their way.â€

Both RNLI life boats from Harwich were initially called to the scene, but were stood down before they got there, thanks to the good work of the ferry and rescue boat.

Felixstowe Coastguard rescue team were also paged to assist in the incident, which happened at 5.30pm on Saturday.

The Harwich RNLI inshore lifeboat was also launched earlier in the afternoon, around 1pm, to help the yacht Abanna.

The vessel, which had four people on board, had an anchor chain caught round her propeller and was adrift in the River Orwell.

She was towed to Levington Marina for repairs.

Chartlet showing the entrance to the Deben and the bar - http://www.eastcoastrivers.com/pdfs/Deben-April-09.pdf

I will upload a couple of pictures of the bar later

If the weather is OK that is on our potential destinations this weekend

Well done the FF guys, but....................................

"The yachts, from Britannia Sailing School on the Suffolk and Essex border, were unaware of the shallowness of the water, and its reputation for catching out even experienced sailors."

No sympathy at all, what's wrong with their charts and local info, I assume they teach passage planning and pilotage at that school :o:o One does not enter the Deben unless you've recently been there without an up to date chartlet, even the almanacs tell you that. Had it been the east Anglian Sailing Trust that weekend I could have understood.

David/Perry

Have left my Almanac on the boat but the Deben has been suggested as a possible stop on our East Coast cruise.

Do you know if there are any decent visitors moorings on the Deben? Heathers mobility has suffered lots in recent months and access to the boat is now something we must carefully consider.

Ian

Perry thanks for that, All looks very interesting, especially the on line almanac, not as good as the one on the boat though.

Had mine was a Christmas present and to be nice they got the one that covers everywhere, as a result I find that the Reeds one doubles as a step ladder. :)

Full update of the trip up to Woodbridge once I have sorted my p&s photo's

But this quick update should be entitled 'Making an ar*e of yourself!'

Coming by The Rocks on The Deben we commented that this brave Frenchman obviously did not mind the cool Easterly breeze early in the morning. Ass we went by he stood up...

Reminded me of Ray Stevens 'The Streak'... "I said don't look Ethel" :lol:

Apologies in advance for some of the picture quality :naughty: seriously I have a P&S to hand when boating as helming a bouncing boat with a p&s is bad enough with an SLR - no chance

Cheeky!

post-79-136713527195_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713527464_thumb.jpg

As ever P&S advisory on the photos! updated so images are easier to veiw

Have linked to an outside host to save bandwidth

Or Slideshow here: http://perrysaunders.smugmug.com/photos ... mKey=VbHBx

The weekend forecasts looked OK although a F3-4 NE or East later on Saturday might prove lively over the Deben Bar on the ebb but fortunately the tide gods were with us Kingfisher and Kiki set off at 8.00am for Woodbridge which would see us at the Deben entrance around 9.00am on the flood half tide.

As outlined else where there is little water over the bar at lower states of the tide so a rising tide is essential to be safe. We had consulted the chartlet which was very good in giving a track of 335 degrees from West Knoll to Mid Knoll then it is a case of keeping hard over port (a little disconcerting given the rocks) and then once past the bar back over to starboard.

http://www.eastcoastrivers.com/pdfs/Deben-April-09.pdf

The wind was very light so conditions good but as entered the Deben. It was a flood spring tide, Kiki on tick over which normally would do around 4 knots was making nearly 9 SOG!

547706280_spsvq-L.jpg

547707376_7NzTb-L.jpg

547708224_Ym8ad-L.jpg

A good trip up to Woodbridge with an entertaining interlude from a naturist yottie (I don't think it was Jenny :naughty: ) and a youngster in a bosuns chair while underway :o

547708449_oRs6o-L.jpg

547752980_sWo4k-L.jpg

The Deben almost totally dries from Waldfingfield down to Woodbridge and timing your entrance is necessary to get over the Sill at Tide Mill Yacht Harbour. There are some waiting buoys outside but it is not the place to be on an ebbing tide.

547713475_xqmEW-L.jpg

547714888_QQoiR-L.jpg

547747226_9C36o-L.jpg

547734041_Nhj3s-L.jpg

547736978_3QkB9-L.jpg

Tide Mill YH has an eclectic mix of boats of all sizes, shapes, persuasions and ages which kind of goes with the Huckleberry Finn type feel of the place. It was very busy being a Bank Holiday so Kingfisher & Kiki ended up mooring rafted to a 1939 Scottish Built Classic Motor Yacht. It was a labour of live for its owner, the Brass Fittings which were gleaming must have taken an age to keep polished. Fortunately neither of our ships mooring meant the owner having any additional work to do :naughty:

547745593_aakQG-L.jpg

A very enjoyable day including a wander around Woodbridge in some very good weather.

547724605_yRsGY-L.jpg

Ian (Senator) if you do get to Woodbridge I would speak to the HM and ask for a berth on the inside of the horse shoe as with Heather's mobility issues it is a long walk if you are on the outside. Facilities are very good with excellent showers, BBQ & Picnic area and 5-10 minutes to get into town.

547748418_EbCwv-L.jpg

547749662_2BviP-L.jpg

Sunday Morning saw us waiting for enough water over the Sill (a metre) to head off to get some fishing in around at Wrabness.

547741690_cDwo9-L.jpg

547742749_GRGai-L.jpg

547743615_6S8LE-L.jpg

To show how it looks around high tide....

547710051_jJBXW-L.jpg

We timed our exit to be around an hour before HW the tide was steaming in the bar was creating a virtual washing machine in the entrance with boats coming in and going out over the bar it was very busy in a very narrow area and then there was the yottie who decided it would be great fun to sail in but had not thought that in a 5-6 knot incoming stream he might not be able to control his vessel :roll: while this was happening and trying to keep off the putty my helm started to become less responsive and a pool of hydraulic fluid started leaking what a time for it to happen! (Diagnosis on the helm is that the pump has probably gone). An exit was made and an uneventful trip round to Wrabness except the wind had freshened to Easterly.

We intended an overnight stay at Wrabness but early evening decided to head back to Shotley rather than being bounced around on a buoy in the freshened wind which was blowing down the river Stour. Back tucked up in the marina meant we could get a decent nights kip. On Monday we cleared the ships ready for them to be lifted Tuesday for a week for some 'slap & polish'

Hi Perry :wave:wave:wave

sounds like you & David & the girls had a good trip out least the weather was kind to you all.

just thinking of taking a boat out to sea while its a bit choppy puts a smile on my face. :lol::lol:

nice photo's aswell always appreciated i wounder how come David neva takes any :lol::lol::lol:

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice