Domestic Water

Unless you have the following set up and follow the following fill up regime the Pete's advice is sound.

Always run the hose for a couple of minutes before using it, use the water to wash the first foot or so of the hose at that time, use purification tablets at the correct dose, fit a Silver filter to remove the taste of the chlorine and change it regularly. I always keep my tank as full as possible at all times unless I want to reduce weight and save a few bob on diesel on a passage but that doesn't really apply to much on the rivers.

Not sure if its right or wrong, but here is what I do. I always leave the tank fully topped up all year round. I add Aqua tabs at the correct doseage to purify the water. I only use the onboard water for washing up and showering, using bottled water for any drinking, even for boiling water to make coffee etc. About once every 6 weeks I completely drain the tank down and then refill it. To aid with this I have installed a T piece just after the outlet from the tank. One side of the T goes to the water pump, the other side goes to a valve that can be opened to drain the tank completely without having to run the water pump. The tank when emptying goes into the bilge, which is also a good test for the bilge pump setup. I should point out for those worried about pollution that I have a separate captive bilge for the oil and diesel drips from the engine. The main bilge contains only river water ingress past the stern gland and rain water from the rear door foot well which drains into the bilge. It also contains an oil absorbant mat just to be on the safe side.

Hi Ken,

Being a savage I don't tend to do much at all, not come to any harm yet just use the filter for drinking. Lets face it there is no way Jenny would let her dog drink it if it was at all suspect :roll:

I do try to keep it full when left though. Small quantities of water can become putrid. Might be down at the weekend, not sure yet.

Guest stopper1941

When i was boating on the canals we carried our own hoses, but even then i used toput the first foot of the hose in a plastic container containing a dilute solution of bleach and then ran the water for a few miutes before filling the tank.collapsible hoses do not taske much room.

brian :Stinky soon

After seeing the way the water hoses are treated by some people I now carry my own blue hose, it's only a 10mtr one but it does the job, cost me 50p a mtr from the caravan shop, it broke my heart when I had to pay nearly £10 for the fittings though from B&Q still it will fit any tap now, so I spose £15 isn't that bad, on emptying tanks, I've never emptied any of mine and I don't use steralising tablets either and I'm still here, I left it all winter this year and it was fine, but then I only use it for making tea, washing and washing up, I carry a 5ltr bottle for drinking and I always fill that up at home,,,,

Mowjo,

Just a question - pardon me if I'm being thick - but with you various tap attachments, do you remove the hose from taps at boatyards and fit your own and replace theirs afterwards, or how do you do it?

Nigel :?

The Marina hoses are fine providing you follow Davids advice, run the water for a couple of minutes if the hose has been standing, then wash down the first couple of foot to make sure you are not putting contamination in your tank.

Something else worth considering though is that water even accross the UK is very different in mineral content, even though the water is totally safe to drink it may still be different to what you are used to and upset your stomach a bit.

Senator,

How right you are.....in Lowestoft we have two different sorts of water, (well four if you include those either side of Mutford Lock Bridge :lol: !!) as north of Lake Lothing, the water is obtained from the Lound pumping station and resevoir, which gets its water from off the land surface and tends to be somewhat softer and nicer to drink.

In the south of Lowestoft where I live, the water is supplied from Barsham (near Beccles) from a bore hole, and this water is harder and more bitter and has to be treated with more chlorine than the north. :(

Nigel

Nigel! the hose I carry is 10 mtrs of 1/2" blue water hose, ( because it takes up less room than the 3/4") and a normal tap connector, I also carry a 1" bsp brass tap connector, if theres no hose I put my 1" thingy on the yards tap, then the normal tap connector fits on the end of that, I only really use it in B/Edge, as on our side in the new bit theres no hose, or if a yards hose looks a bit iffy I'll take theres off and use mine, Hoselock do a Threaded Tap Connector 1in BSP Part No 2158 then all you'll need is one of those quick fit hose fittings, I only use my way because it gives me a choice if a yards taps are a different size,, Most of the Marina taps I find are pretty safe as long as you run some water off first, It's places like Ludham and other public places I worry about, specialy when you see dogs peeing on the grass where there dragging the hose about, :norty: