Sign in to follow this  
Jonzo

BSS

So.. A few questions

I am potentially looking at putting my Dad's Leisure 17 http://www.leisureowners.org.uk/site/contents/leisure17_new.shtml on the broads next year - Not quite a Bounty 40 but a boat nonetheless!

It's been down to the broads before on a short visit toll, however she will likely stay here on a yard that offers launching / recovery and storage (Wayford quoted me ages ago). I'm fine with the river tolls etc but don't really know about the BSS side of things at all (is there anything else I need to consider other than insurance).

The boat has no fixed electrics (previous owner removed them for some reason), no gas, and no fixed fuel tank / pipework. There are a couple of big white flappy things and some funny aluminium poles supplied with it, but I won't be needing them :lol: The engine we have currently is a Seagull which seems to work quite well although I'm sure you must be able to buy a silencer for the bloody thing! It seems to me as though there is little on the boat that would cause any problem with BSS, but obviously I'm no expert on such things...

Any thoughts would be appreciated

As I understand it, if you have no gas or electrics and an outboard with a portable tank then no BSS is required, check with the BA or BSS site to be certain but I reckon you're safe.

Thanks for your advice David, I will check it out. sounds promising though.

Brian - The one in the main picture is the Leisure 17SL.. A sort of eighties re-work of the design (basically a more sleek top moulding) - Our one is the regular Leisure 17 in the brochure shots futher down the page. Not a bad looking boat though, and thankfully all in white (original gel coat at that) and with the bilge keel option.

I still haven't decided whether to run her next year, but I'd kind of like to as she will be sold otherwise.

Hi Jonzo,

We have a Prelude which like your boat has no gas or electric and a small outboard with an integeral fuel tank that is either on the transom or in the back of the car I have been told by the Broads Authority that as there is accomodation I will need to have a BSS test by April 2009.

Robin.

Thanks Robin, must admit that the wording on the BA site was leading me to think that - Seems like you say that if it has accomodation it needs a BSS.

Things like fire escapes are I guess what they're looking for.. After all there aren't any other features!