60/40% split confirmed on red

Antares_9

Well all I can say is the tax regime has now been set, one can abide by it or at least the spirit of it, or not as one chooses.Really, what in my view has happened is HMC&R have thrown us a bone and provided we don't take the P!55 then they have better and more serious matters to attend to and will probably continue to attend to them rather than bother us. If anybody does get inspected though, as with all HMC&R matters, it will be up to them to prove their split is reasonable and not for HMC&R to prove it is unreasonable.

I do agree with you, Although as i say i do have a quantity of diesel bought at 67p now i just dont see how anyone can say i have or havnt paid duty unless i am expected to keep a log of the hours i cruise and i keep any reciepts for the diesel, Some boats i see moored up look as if they havnt moved for years, so say one of these decide to cruise in 2 years time who can say they havent paid the duty if thier tanks are still full ?

• 2 weeks later...

There will be big ques at the fuel pontoons the end of October and many of those boats will take a fair bit of time to use it but if you are going to put £1800 worth of diesel in I would think it reasonable to assume that you use a fair bit, the cashflow and risk of diesel bug would deter anyone sensible from filling such a big tank if they were going to use £100 per year.

As David says it is up to the owners to be reasonable or the rebate, which it effectivley is keeping marine diesel in line with the rest of Europe, will go completely.

Ian

• 2 years later...

HMR&C and our govenment were actually the good guys in this for once; they fought tooth and nail and actually got derogation from the EU holding it at bay for a number of years thus keeping our fuel tax down. Tis of course was not entirely altruistic as the revenue gained would have been miniscule compared with enforcememt costs. Even when Brussels would no longer countenance the derogation HMR&C did quite a lot within areas wher the EU had no control, they threw us a bone with the nod nod wink wink 40% heating allowance at reduced duty and as the EU can’t regulate our VAT they left the VAT on red at 5% both the heating and propulsion element. The real current issue for “proper†(for want of a better word) boaters is that retaining the red dye effectively has put the continent out of bounds for us this year and for who knows how long as the Belgians and French are now really twitchy about any red dye in tanks, imposing heavy fines on boats with any red dye in the tank, so no more moules & frites for us until further notice. The question we should all be asking is why are riverside prices, even at the 60/40 split so high and what is the actual specification of the fuel we are getting. :roll:

The question we should all be asking is why are riverside prices, even at the 60/40 split so high

Surely though, with so many completely autonomous riverside diesel sellers, some would discount heavily to gain sales ?

I can't believe that the now very mixed bag of independent Broads boatyard owners would keep a cartel going in today's market.....

(though I have been known to be wrong sometimes :) )

Indeed not, nor would one suspect the major oil companies of a cartel just because their prices are over a 5p spread. :naughty:

You only have to look at coastal marina prices, currently we are £1.16 and there are many cheaper than that.

Example: At the Itchen Marine (Towage) Ltd Fuel barge, 26Jun11: £1.06p litre (60/40).

That is quite a difference.

Is it possible that they get more business throughout the winter as well though, from commercial users maybe ?

Or maybe with most sea-going boats gobbling up "gallons per hour" on the plane, compared with "hours per gallon" from the majority of Broads based craft doing 5mph, the total gallons sold could be much more ?

It would be interesting to compare their stock turnover with say, Ferry Marine.

Or maybe with most sea-going boats gobbling up "gallons per hour" on the plane, compared with "hours per gallon" from the majority of Broads based craft doing 5mph, the total gallons sold could be much more ?

It would be interesting to compare their stock turnover with say, Ferry Marine.

With a huge proportion of sailing craft in coastal marinas using next to bugger all fuel and it being the norm for boats to be laid up from October May I doubt that is the case.

It wasn't that long ago that i asked the question regarding fuel prices to someone that owned a Marina, although it was actually petrol that i was asking about.

The answer was 'because i can'

Having a captive audience on the river makes it all too easy.

What we really need, is somone like 'TESCO' to set up a fuel station on the broads serving both motor vehicles & motor boats. Oh and the superstore, so you can shop whilst you are there.

Now there's a thought!

Every little helps................

What we really need, is someone like 'TESCO' to set up a fuel station on the broads serving both motor vehicles & motor boats.

That's closer to the solution.

I can't claim to have thought of this myself, since I recently read it "elsewhere" on the web, but it makes sense to me.

Roadside filling stations (Tesco or otherwise), sell thousands of litres per day, via self service pumps, and minimal staffing costs. Just one person sitting a at a till, serving a queue of waiting punters who have already simultaneously filled their cars.

Waterside fuel outlets usually have just the one pump, which is invariably operated by the staff, so the turnover per hour per employee is far less efficient.

Additionally, garages sell hundreds or thousands of litres per week, all year round, because cars and vans use far more fuel than boats. By contrast, Marinas sell a fraction by comparison.

So yes, if Tesco opened up a four lane eight pump self-service riverside filling station at Horning, they would save labour costs, but they still wouldn't sell as much fuel as if they were on the A14, especially in the Winter.....

• 4 weeks later...