Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Digital SLR advice please

With all this talk of Photography, this weekend i dug out me ole Canon 10D which i bout about 8 years ago along with a double battery pack and a 17-40mm Canon Ultrasonic lens.

I only purchased it as at the time digital cameras just didn't cut it, you would press the button to take a pic, then wait, and wait.

Soon to having a new baby in the family, you need to be quick to get a nice pic.

Now i took it to THe Military event at Holt Railway this Sunday, what a day it was :) using the train to travel along the line to Sheringham, where everything was 1940s themed, a real walk back in time, with the best weather i have seen for ages :)

A Event like this really draws out the Pro SLR guys and a few women which their Canon Zoon lens, and camera bags. :wave

I was watching the shots a few of them were making and, its really interesting to see what they take.

I snapped a few things, and uploaded them this evening, a few are ok, but all needed tweeaking with PSP :(

I did see that the firm ware was 1.0 so i went to canons site and flashed a 2.0 firmware into it ( very easy task ) :)

Now my questions.

Its now nearly 8 years old, does it need cleaning or a service of any kind ?

Is it best to take the pics in Jpeg or Raw ? its set on Jpeg as i cant seem to change it to Raw :lol:

I always use it on Auto ( the green box ) but find on many locations outside the flash flips up and it flashes :(

post-54-136713426506_thumb.jpg

post-54-136713426515_thumb.jpg

post-54-136713426524_thumb.jpg

post-54-136713426774_thumb.jpg

Brian, Paul is the Canon guy - I am (so far ;) ) dyed in the wool Nikon! So Paul is your better bet on the technicalia of your 10D.

Personally I would always shoot RAW rather than JPEG, because JPEG discards a lot of the information in-camera whereas RAW retains it all and allows you to make your own decisions later - provided you have the right software back at base.

Great pictures - a really good eye for perspective and composition.

I doubt if the sensor needs cleaning, unless you are finding blobs of dust on the sensor, appearing in each shot in the same place. Otherwise I'd suggest you leave well alone. If it ain't broke etc ... Looking at the images you have posted, the camera has very nice control over highlights and shadows, and clearly the guy behind the camera knows what he is pointing it at!

I'll leave Paul to talk about the specifics of Canon auto modes, but in general with images of this sort, if you have an understanding of the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture, it's best to use aperture priority rather than fully automatic. This will give you more control over depth of field, and I assume (Paul will correct me if wrong with Canon) will stop the flash firing when not wanted. Just make sure your chosen combination of ISO, shutter speed and aperture gives you the right depth of field, no major risk of camera shake and not too much digital noise (which was far less controlled in cameras of that period than with the latest DSLRs) and you will get some great shots. The cameras of this era (D10/Nikon D70) are capable of some superb clean, detailed images.

Bruce

Just a quick reply regarding sensor and cleaning.

This applies to any camera.

On a bright ( whith cloud )day take a picture of the sky with nothing else in the shot.

Then have a look at it on the comuter.

If the sensor need cleaning you will see spots, "hair lines" etc on the picture.

Cleaning can be very difficult as well. I have cleaned mine and it has been worse !

Use proper cleaning equipment that is recommended my the manufacture.

With regards to shooting RAW, then I would say yes absolutely. Whatever you shoot on, if it has a RAW mode use it always! You never know when you might take a photo that you really like which with a bit of work on the PC can look really spectacular.

Not sure what cards you're using but if you bought them when you got the camera you may want to get yourself some nice quick new ones as shooting RAW with a slow card isn't fun. I use the Sandisk Extreme III cards as they're very good and cheaper than chips from Play.com (around £18 for a 4gb Sandisk Extreme III in Compact Flash flavour). There are faster cards about, but not by a lot - and not for the same sort of money. Not sure what the maximum card size a 10D can address is so you'd need to check that (I'm a Nikon man too).

Thanks for all the great replies, this really has got me back into the camera again.

Starting from this morning, i have looked up the instructions for it :lol: i know its something that disappear as soon as it came out of the box.

Ive changed settings, it now saves a RAW and a JPG image on the card, the card i use is a 2GB Kingston 133X Ultimate, which seems ok ? not sure if its the fastest or not ?

I have also changed the colour Temp and have upped it to 6600K which seems to have made the colours a bit better, as the pics didn't look very colourful, having to photoshop each picture.

I'm amazed at the cost of the 10D now, Ive been looking at Ebay and you can pick a used one up for well under £200 now. :o

Which is a good deal as its such a solid well made camera. Its such a shame i could not make the Photo event at Salhouse broad the other week :(

I'm sure there will be another trip next year.

I Dad was into photography when i was a Lad, he had his own development room under the eves of our house in Frettenham when i was a boy.

We spent many evenings developing black and white pics we had taken :)

I don't know what went wrong but hes now into cheap Makro cameras with 256K of memory :( maybe i should try and get him back into photography again. :)

He picks up my canon and takes pics as if hes owned one for years, but just would not buy one :( Maybe something Father and Son could get into again.. who knows ...

Anyway...

Ive got the Bug again :) A New Thread For a Good Zoom Lens ?

Those Kingston 133x cards are as quick (actually slightly quicker) as the Sandisk Extreme III cards, so no worries there. 2gb should give you a good 300 images after taking into account formatted capacity (rough and dirty calculations!).

The joy with RAW is that if the camera doesn't get the colour temperature right (or anything else for that matter), then a trip to Adobe Lightroom will allow you to very quickly tweak a batch of images to get them looking right. Lightroom is a little like the 'Photoshop Album' type applications in concept, but with proper powerful tools like in Photoshop. The important thing is that it's a lot quicker than doing the same few tasks in Photoshop. I really love it, although I'd love Apple Aperture as that's even better (but I'm on Windows / Linux so it's a no-go).

It's a funny thing.. My dad got me into photography too, he bought me an old Praktica with manual everything for christmas something like 20 years ago. It took some reasonable images but being fairly young I didn't always quite get how the metering related to what I was doing with aperture/shutter speed. I was bitten though and moved onto an Olympus OM-10 (probably my favourite of all the cameras I've had) which was a very good camera, but being 35mm I haven't used it for about three years now. My dad's SLR went wrong many years ago and now he uses one of the early Fuji 'bridge' superzoom compacts, which takes 32mb Smartmedia cards (remember them?). I'm trying to convince him to get a DSLR (Nikon of course), but I think he quite likes his old (2001?) Fuji.

I wish I'd been around for the Photography walk, particularly seeing Simon's excellent thread and the images Bruce and others posted up here.. I'm sure there'll be another though.

I'm after a big zoom too, think that one may have to wait till birthday time though...

Great to come home and find a good discussion going!

Brian, one of the things that Paul, Simon Clive and I will be thinking about is more photo meets. There's obviously plenty of enthusiasm, and we have got such a great subject with the Broads! I've got a few ideas for meets, and will bounce them off the others first. Personally I hope we don't have to wait until next year - we're coming into the best time of year for landscape photography, with the sun lower in the sky, sunrise and sunset at civilised times, autumn colours on the trees soon, and more chance of great sunrises and sunsets. Brian, perhaps you could bring your Dad, and persuade him to buy one of those cheap second hand cameras! There's an interesting article in Photo Pro magazine this month suggesting that used cameras from a few years ago are so good that pros should be buying them as backup bodies. Advances in technology have been so amazing that the "old" models that have been left behind can produce pro quality at less than the cost of a decent compact!

Jonzo, I prefer Lightoom 2 to Aperture. I've tried both, and I run Macs so could use either. Lightroom is a quite amazing programme, and has revolutionised workflow for anyone who produces a lot of images.

Brian, if you set a constant warm colour temperature you may well find that some of your JPEGs look a bit overcooked - not a good look. See how you get on! As Jonzo says, if you shoot in RAW you can change the WB in software with no impact in the quality of the image. I rarely take my WB off auto, and make any changes later in Lightroom.

Brian, I'd suggest you get yourself a few cards rather than just using one. I've got a handful of 8 GB cards (Extreme IIIs), which is a bit excessive for most people, but they are amazingly cheap now. The most important thing is always go for branded cards from a good manufacturer, and don't buy from Ebay unless you are CERTAIN you're not buying counterfeits.

Bruce

I'm pleased to hear you say that Bruce - Broadland in autumn is indeed a very photogenic place. I'll be about a fair bit more over the coming weeks, too. I could do with learning some tips.

Similarly with Lightroom - I think it's great, and the new features in 2.0 are superb. It's only really the camera mags that make me want Aperture to be honest....

And Autumn is my Favorite time of year :) my dads back From Florida in late October, i do need to kick his butt over this as i know he would love a trip out with everyone :) its time i lent him my camera as i know he takes great pics, :)

Many thanks for all the replies :)

As a novelty this weekend I put my camera in RAW+JPEG mode. I've already taken off all the JPEG's and gone through them. I don't presently have any software loaded on my computer for RAW images but I've retained the files anyway and I'll load the software which came with the camera in the next few days and have a play, see if I can get better results that way.

I was also using the 2GB Kingston Elite Pro cards which I thoroughly recommend - good supplier at a good pice here btw:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... _id=102025

I also have the Sandisk Extreme III - well worth getting a fast card, especially if you're going to shoot RAW or even worse, RAW+JPEG.

Jonzo, I don't know what you mean exactly by a big zoom - do you mean a good telephoto zoom or do you mean a high range zoom (hyperzoom)? If you mean a hyperzoom then I'd definitely say to look at the Sigma 18-200 as an excellent general purpose lens. Naturally, as a jack of all trades there will be better lenses out there in terms of out and out IQ at a given focal length but as an all round package it is good quality and incredibly versatile. In situations where a sack full of prime lenses or short range zooms are simply impractical a lens like that is great. When I go on holiday I don't even bother taking anything else. I believe I have recently converted Perry to the merits of this lens. :ugeek:

Tamron do a version of the same lens but I think it is rather inferior (I tested both extensively before committing to buy the Sigma). However I gather that Tamron's more recent 18-250 (!) is a big improvement over their 18-200 and I know that Sony now do an SAL 18-250 which is supposedly even better but that's only available for A mount cameras.

I believe I have recently converted Perry to the merits of this lens

Indeed you did put this one on my Radar when looking around for a 'walk around' holiday lens Simon. I went for the Optical Stabilising version and can't knock the image quality for the money. It can't match my Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS for image quality but then it is about half a stone lighter ;)

post-79-136713429585_thumb.jpg

There Tamron do an 18-250mm in a Canon mount Brian, I don't know what the quality is like though. Sony do a better one but only for the A mount and I doubt you'll be able to get an adaptor for that.

That level of zoom (17-300) looks to be a bit much for one lens, but then again many said that about the 18-200mm and Sigma have done a grand job on that. I believe both Sigma and Tamron have a 28-300mm - they hail from the days of film though. 28mm is not really a good enough wide angle on an APS digital sensor (1.6x crop factor on Canon, 1.5x on Nikon, Sony, Pentax etc).

I have one of the earliest Sigma 28-300mm. I don't know whether the new ones are better but the Sigma 18-200mm utterly destroys it all common focal lengths. The 28-300mm hasn't even seen the light of day in several years.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 17-300mm because I don't think it's going to happen!

Righty... I've been away for a few days.

I guess what I'm looking for is something in the region of 70-200 or even 70-300. I've got an 18-135 (the kit lens) with my D80, but ideally want something with a bit longer range for wildlife type use. The 18-135 is renowned for chromatic aberrations at the top end of the zoom (although in reality it's not a bad all-round lens by any means, and Lightroom gets me out of trouble) so I ideally want something of a reasonable quality to overlap with that lens and give me a longer range.

I'm kind of considering something like the Sigma APO lenses and even the VR Nikkors although I'm not sure I want to spend quite that much... I notice that Warehouse Express have a 55-200 Tamron lens for £50 (which doesn't have an AF motor, but no probs with my D80 thankfully) but I expect it's probably awful...

Warehouse Express have a 55-200 Tamron lens for £50 (which doesn't have an AF motor, but no probs with my D80 thankfully) but I expect it's probably awful...

Hey, not fair - the same lens is £130 in A mount! :norty:

But you're probably right, it probably is rubbish! I bought (by complete mistake) a Sigma 18-50mm F3.5 which is a similar price thinking I was getting a bargain. Unfortunately I had mistaken the lens and thought it was the F2.8 version of the same lens (nearer £300). Boy was I in for a shock - it was a truly dismal lens. If you stopped it down it could match the kit lens in some circumstances but was beaten at all common focal lengths by the Sigma 18-200mm travel lens and at all focal lengths by the kit lens when using wide apertures. I suspect you get what you pay for.

I have this17-40mm L F4 which is a good piece of kit sounds like you may have the same (see photo). It gives a focal length with the sensor crop on a 10D of 28 - almost 70mm so I don't think you need anything for the wider end of the focal range unless you need a very wide angle lens.

I would look at some of Simons suggestions and the Sigma outlined in my earlier post is good value for money.

If you wanted to get very serious the obvious choice would be the Canon 100-400mm L F4

post-79-136713429611_thumb.jpg

Canon do a 70 - 300mm IS Lens

The Canon EF 70-300mm lens will appeal to serious amateur nature and sports photographers looking to achieve outstanding results while shooting hand-held. IS image stabilisation dramatically reduces image blur caused by camera shake, and the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM features Canon’s latest 3-stop IS - a one-stop improvement over its predecessor. This technology allows shutter speeds up to three stops slower than would otherwise be possible, with no perceptible increase in image blur: Shooting a 300mm frame handheld at 1/500s can obtain the equivalent result with a shutter speed of just 1/60s, vastly extending options in low light conditions. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product ... ku=1010309

Other makes are available.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/search/?q=70-300mm

I can definately give support to the Cannon EF 70-300 IS USM lens, as I have had mine for close on 12months and other than spending nearly a thousand pounds for a new 100-400 ' L' series to get the overall edge, I can thoroughly recommend it.

It has proved it's worth to have in the gadget bag so far.

It is relatively light and using it without the tripod at 300mm is a breeze with Canon's image stabiliser facility.

Obviously the 100-400 ' L' series is a better lens, you get what you pay for as far as lenses are concerned but unless you are trying to compete with Lord Paul, Bruce C, or Simon, then the 70-300 will still give super results for a lot less money.

When I upgrade to the new Canon 5D I will invest in nothing but ' L' series lenses...now where's that Christmas wish list gone???

Get shopping Brian.. :)

Regards,

Clive.

Many thanks for the replies, the canon 70 300 is a rather good price, i do like the sound of the image stabiliser as well :)

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.