Brooms Captain

Not much to report this week as we decided to have a bit of time out sailing on PL9, had some sun, rain and strong winds but it was so nice to be back on the water.

Managed to get a bit more done on the Broom, spent the day steaming ribs for the forward cabin, steamed seven and managed to get four fitted, the others broke do to knots in the timber, just need one more to finish it off. I have decided to replace all the lower planks except the garboard as a mixture of rot and holes left by doubler pads have made it a bit of a mess.

Doug.

post-29928-0-17858900-1409505490_thumb.jpost-29928-0-84074100-1409505505_thumb.jpost-29928-0-25701800-1409505520_thumb.jpost-29928-0-01668400-1409505538_thumb.jpost-29928-0-57910000-1409505566_thumb.j

• Like 1

It depends on the size of the wood, the first three were done for around an hour but two of these broke as the further forward you get the sharper the bend, the last four were soaked in the river over night and then steamed for about two hours these bent easier but one broke due to a knot and me pushing to hard. It's a bit of guess work but the wood needs to be almost too hot to pick up. By the way you should wear gloves when using oak or you will end up with black hands due to the tanning that seeps out.

Doug.

• Like 1

Just a small update this week. Managed to fit part of the chine rail on the port side, I need to fit the chine plank at the forward end before I can fit the forward part of the chine rail as there is nothing at the moment to fix it to. The floor will have to be chocked back up into position to get the line back.

Doug.

post-29928-0-27415700-1410113144_thumb.j

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, progress has been a bit slow lately. With attending the forum meeting and doing some diy I have not been down to the boat for 3 weeks. I have however been busy with the plastic, the new water tanks have arrived and I am very pleased with them so much so I have decided to change the fuel tank as well. The water and fuel tank will also be fitted with a level indicator as the extra cost was minimal.

I have also bought a calorifier, 65 litres which is slightly bigger the the old one but fitted the space better than the 55 litre one, also bought a new water pump so all the water system will be replaced ( SWMBO instructions). Also two new bildge pumps, one for forward and one aft.

I have been busy today steaming a new plank for the port chine area, as its 200mm by 30mm it was to stiff to bend round on its own. I have clamped it to the plank above until it cools and then it will be cut to shape. Once this is in place I can then fit the chine rail on the inside.

Doug

post-29928-0-23032200-1414344721_thumb.jpost-29928-0-03398400-1414344776_thumb.jpost-29928-0-01981300-1414344828_thumb.jpost-29928-0-44623700-1414345078_thumb.j

• Like 3

What's with all this slacking? Three weeks off? I can see nothing get's done if I'm not down there supervising...oh hang on :???:  I think that's the other way around :roll: ...yup, nothing get's done if I am down there supervising!  :shock:

• Like 2

Hi Doug,

Is it possible to have an imersion heater fitted to thr new calorifier, as it could be handy when moored for any long periods at moorings with leccy posts.

I have to admit to being a convert to the convenience of a decent 240v hook up system after our week on Lightning last week. We could have piping hot water all day without having to run the engine.

Speed triple. Yes you can. I have one and if you have a shower on board the immersion does mean you can shower on your own boat when you want. I know some public or marina showers can leave a lot to be desired.

I am also lucky enough to have a genny. So untold lectricary and hot water even in the wildest parts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Doug,

Its wonderful to here about your trials and tribulations with regards your Captain. Recently bought a Captain myself to find quite a lot of rot that wasn't picked up in the survey but she's on the mend now, slowly but surely. Like you my wife is in Oxford so I also have the long journey to the broads most weekends. Love to hear more about your Captain.

Regards

Agusta

I'm still the curious, adventurous fun loving young boy I always was Iain...it's just that I fell asleep one night and awoke to find some evil octogenarian had traded bodies with me. Just keep your eye out for a six year old kid that has an attitude far older than his years and a taste for prune juice and music hall!

• Like 2

I can tell you that we hired her throughout our holidays in the 1970's. In 1972 Uncle Albert hired her the week after he left the RN. He'd spent the year before he left piloting assault craft & MTB's. On handover at the start of the first holiday aboard Captain XII we were left sat for hours waiting for her due to engine problems. These were solved when Uncle Albert walked down to the boat and took over the spanners (qualified marine engineer). Second week of holiday Uncle Albert used her to help fish a lad out of the water at Potter Bridge after his Dad attempted to take their hire boat under without a pilot. Uncle Albert spent the rest of the afternoon with the pilot...I'm assuming in the pub. That same week Uncle Albert came a cropper and fell in at Potter opposite the pub, but was in and out so fast his cigs never got wet although he did not appreciate the round of applause from the punters in the beer garden or my brother saying "that was funny do it again". It was aboard Captain XII that I fell in love with the Broads, boating, history and archaeology. On board Captain XII I had my first TV dinner (Roast Beef), caught my first fish, had my first glass of wine (got plastered and walked into the throttle) and sneaked my first cigarette at the age of 11.

If Uncle Albert sees her he gets all teary eyed & drags out the old hanky. 

• Like 1

Speed triple. Yes you can. I have one and if you have a shower on board the immersion does mean you can shower on your own boat when you want. I know some public or marina showers can leave a lot to be desired.

I am also lucky enough to have a genny. So untold lectricary and hot water even in the wildest parts.

I know exactly what you mean re marina showers. We have berth holders showers at Brooms, which seem pretty good, whereas we used the toilets / showers at W R C last month, and to be honest, they`re long overdue for a re-furb. The one i used had mould covering the ceiling, with several of the fittings being broken or in poor condition. Add to that the layout of the cubicals is (in my opinion) all wrong, so i tend to agree with your comments.

I did actually sit down and plan out a toilet / shower cubical when i got back to the boat, but i doubt whether they would have any interrest in any idea i hve re a better layout.