Sign in to follow this  
mbird

Otters

Hi All

We spent Saturday night at Neatishead this weekend, and then left around 10:00 the next morning. Just passed Gays Staithe heading out into Barton Broad, when I spotted an otter swimming from the right hand bank. I yelled to Mrs B to take the wheel while I hurriedly grabbed my camera (luckily left my zoom lens attached for once), and proceeded to snap. As usual the little blighter dived as soon as I got the camera to him!

I couldn't believe my eyes when a second otter swam from the dyke on the left that leads to the big house. Mrs B just had the boat on tickover, and we made gentle circles watching the lines of bubbles. The otters got together and had a bit or rough and tumble right infront of us, and I did manage to get a few pictures, my first ever of otters! The focus isn't great as I was trying to follow them with my zoom lens maxed out whilst balancing on the deck, but I am chuffed they came out as well!

post-264-136713430226_thumb.jpg

post-264-136713430494_thumb.jpg

post-264-136713430503_thumb.jpg

post-264-136713430512_thumb.jpg

post-264-136713430521_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark,

Nice pictures of the Otters on Barton.

I have been watching these for a few week now and a bit surprised that you saw two as the family consists of three normally.

Lets hope the third was sleeping it off somewhere and nothing else has happened to it.!

They are a regular visitor to that part of the broad and going up as far as Irstead too.

HI Paul

We thought there were three, as one seemed to appear from one side, but then two appeared from the other side. We couldn't track them all at the same time as they confused us when they all dived under. We couldn't be sure which were which and only ever saw two together, but thought there could have been three, so you have confirmed we weren't seeing things!

I have only ever seen lone otters before, as Salhouse, Cantley and Sutton, but couldn't believe out luck seeing two together. Seeing all three is unbelievable! Fantastic!

Great pics Mark - all of them. In all of our boating I've still only ever seen the one, and that was the briefest of glimpses.

:clap:lol::clap

Great pictures Mark - I've only seen otters once, slightly further north up the Ant from Barton Broad, but to see them and be able to capture them so well on camera is a sheer joy ! well done !! :clap

Well done Mark for capturing the Otters on camara :clap:clap:clap

We have seen Otters on several occasssions, especially near Barton Broad going down to Irstead. But to date we have never managed to get them on camara. :cry:

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.