Sign in to follow this  
Guest plesbit

Photography Walk - the next incarnation

Following interest from certain members of another photography walk myself, Bruce and Paul have had a little behind-the-scenes chat and come up with the following suggestions. Your input is welcomed - indeed needed.

The suggestion was to actually do two trips with a slightly different focus on each.

Trip 1 - Horsey Gap, Sun 23 Nov 2008

This would be led by Paul and could form a combination of wildlife with some landscape shooting with good marsh area and I understand this is a good location for seals. An early start would be preferred.

Trip 2 - Dawn Shoot on the Thurne opposite Thurne Mill, Sun 14 or Sat 20/Sun 21 Dec 2008

This would be a two phase shoot led by Bruce. The first would be a dawn shoot opposite Thurne Mill there for sunrise and the hour that follows. Then breakfast in Potter Heigham and a drive to West Somerton for more shooting there.

Removing my organiser hat and placing my member hat firmly on my head (that's a nod to someone on the other side, can anyone guess who I mean?) let me be the first to comment on the suggestions.

Firstly, I am up for Trip 1 on 23 November definitely. I am also up for Trip 2 and my preferred date of the available options would be Sun 21 Dec.

As things stand I cannot do 13/14 Dec and would prefer not to do Sat 20 Dec as we will be finishing up getting things ready for Christmas. My presence is not required for these events but it would be one less keen member available if they went ahead on those dates.

I am up for both walks and on either dates and times and thanks to all concerned for getting it all on the go again, looking forward to it cheersbarcheersbar

Newf

On the second trip, part of the intention behind breakfast at Potter is that those who don't fancy and/or can't manage a dawn shoot could meet up with the rest of the group before we move on to other places. Not so much a walk as a drive, it has to be said ... As well as W.Somerton, there are other possibilities - e.g Horsey mill and broad.

On both outings we will be careful to cater for all types of photographer, starting with the complete beginner with the digital compact. However, for those who are contemplating the dawn shoot, you will be better adapted to the habitat if you have a tripod; otherwise you may find your images at sunrise a liitle blurred. Once the sun is up, though, handheld digital cameras at reasonably high ISOs will work. After breakfast, anything goes really! Please don't assume that we are only expecting advanced photographers - we really want anyone who wants to capture the beauty of Norfolk to feel that they can join in.

Bruce

Right, in summary, so far we have:

1st Walk (Sun 23 Nov)

Paul (ncsl)

Me

Colin (newf)

Mark (mbird)

Brian

2nd Walk (Sat/Sun 13/14 or Sat/Sun 20/21 Dec)

Bruce

Paul (ncsl)

Me - only 20/21 prefer Sun 21

Colin (newf)

John (jonzo) - prefers Sun 21

Pete (petemarr) - only 20/21

Mark (mbird)

So far Sun 21 looks favourite for most respondents.

Who are we missing? No answer yet from Roy (boaters) or roger the cabin boy who came on the last one. Don't forget we are welcoming people of all abilities and with all cameras, not just those with top end SLR's. Plus there are a few SLR owners who haven't signed up - Perry (I guess it's a bit far for you), Chriscraft?

Simon, I mentioned this to Mike, my friend who came last time, and he would like to come to the first one at least. Also I assume this is relyant somewhat on the weather. :dance:dance

newf

Guest chriscraft

hi,

sounds good on the 21st,although a long way for me,for the dawn part,could "rough it out down the boat though,will say yes to breakfast and maybe for dawn,great idea for learners like me

cheers

trev

Excellent news Trev. cheersbar

If you're just getting into using an SLR you won't there won't be a better way to learn!

Horsey Gap, Sun 23 Nov 2008

For those who are coming could I suggest we meet at Horsey Mill car park.

This is a good landmark so should be easy to see and find in the early morning.

Talking of which I would suggest meeting at 0700 - 0730 !!

Would that be too early for anyone? :shocked:o

I would think we could spend about an hour to 1 1/2 hrs there, maybe longer depending upon the weather and what is about.

An early morning landscape shoot should be in order ( a bit new for me ) and hoping to see some early morning wildlife as well.

I do know there are Cranes in that area so we might be able to see them.

I will be bringing both my Canon cameras, a 300D with the new W/A lens and the 5D with the telephoto attached.

I know some of you use a Canon so if anyone would like to try the telephoto then please ask. Will be more than happy to let you try.

Remember a tripod or mono pod. That will help not only support the camera but could help with any walking !

Would suggest something warm in a flask as it may be cold later when on the beach.

I know of one way to get to the beach by car but it always has been a very bumpy and narrow drive to the carpark.

If anyone knows a smoother route then please feel free to "lead the way".

When on the beach there is a large sand dune you have to climb to the top of.

Over that is the beach then the sea.

Please note the beach is normally out of bounds due to the Seals giving birth and the cows being very protective.

Also you may see the bulls "charging" and take it from me you would have a job to outrun them!!!!

So keep to the top parts of the dunes and all should be OK.

Any questions? I can be contacted from my web site mobile phone number if need be.

Finally. Wear something warm, have fun and enjoy yourselves.

Sunday forecast looks like slight rain.

I will certainly be at Horsey Mill from 0700 what ever the weather even if it means sitting around for a hour or so..

So if any of you feel that you would rather not make it if it is pouring down then don't worry.

For those who do turn up, then please be sure to wear waterproofs of sorts.

Lets hope for a good day.

Sorry you can not make it Peter.

We will be thinking of you :liar !!!

Mind you - you may be drier and warmer ;)

Hi Paul

Saw the weather forecast last night and it looks like huskies and a sled might be more the order of the day. They reckon 25mph winds from the arctic with snow showers over the weekend. I guess like most things we'll have to wait and see eh? I must confess though, if theres more than 0.5mm of snow I shall stay tucked up in bed (fair weather photographer? you bet!)

I expect I'll be there come what may - the only exception to that will be if I deem the road conditions put me (or my car) at risk.

Okay, just to recap for Sunday 23rd Nov since it is almost on us. So far we are anticipating the following members to be coming:

Paul (ncsl)

Me

Colin (newf) & friend Mike

Mark (mbird)

Brian

So 6 in total. As detailed elsewhere things may need to be slightly adaptable due to a poor weather outlook. I would suggest bringing some decent waterproof (and warm) clothing and walking boots, a flask of tea or whatever and perhaps a brolly, though whether or not you'll be able to use it without a free airlift to France is another matter. I certainly won't be getting my camera out in the pouring rain, but so long as there is some sort of shelter to hide beneath you might well still get some half decent shots. I guess we'll find out!

Horsey Gap, Sun 23 Nov 2008

For those who are coming could I suggest we meet at Horsey Mill car park.

This is a good landmark so should be easy to see and find in the early morning.

Talking of which I would suggest meeting at 0700 - 0730 !!

Would that be too early for anyone? :shocked:o

I would think we could spend about an hour to 1 1/2 hrs there, maybe longer depending upon the weather and what is about.

An early morning landscape shoot should be in order ( a bit new for me ) and hoping to see some early morning wildlife as well.

I do know there are Cranes in that area so we might be able to see them.

I will be bringing both my Canon cameras, a 300D with the new W/A lens and the 5D with the telephoto attached.

I know some of you use a Canon so if anyone would like to try the telephoto then please ask. Will be more than happy to let you try.

Remember a tripod or mono pod. That will help not only support the camera but could help with any walking !

Would suggest something warm in a flask as it may be cold later when on the beach.

I know of one way to get to the beach by car but it always has been a very bumpy and narrow drive to the carpark.

If anyone knows a smoother route then please feel free to "lead the way".

When on the beach there is a large sand dune you have to climb to the top of.

Over that is the beach then the sea.

Please note the beach is normally out of bounds due to the Seals giving birth and the cows being very protective.

Also you may see the bulls "charging" and take it from me you would have a job to outrun them!!!!

So keep to the top parts of the dunes and all should be OK.

Any questions? I can be contacted from my web site mobile phone number if need be.

Finally. Wear something warm, have fun and enjoy yourselves.

Keep wrapped up its going to be a wild day; later looks better than earlier. 2.gif

Hope it is actually better than forecast.

SUNDAY:

A series of fronts spread eastwards through the British Isles and Ireland overnight into Sunday. Following will be a fresh to strong northwesterly airflow. This flow will be unstable with troughs moving southeastwards through the day. Note that there is a risk that the cold front could become slow moving over southern England for a time, delaying the clearance of rain.

A wet and windy start to the morning for much of East Anglia, the Midlands and southern England with the chance of some heavy periods of rain. Further rain will be affecting much of northern and western Scotland, with showers merging to longer spells of rain over Ireland. The rain falling as snow over the Highlands and Grampians leading to blizzard conditions here.

The afternoon is going to be breezy and cold everywhere. Rain should clear the south to be followed by a few showers, although there is still the risk of it lingering on in the far south for much of the afternoon. The heaviest of the showers will be in northern and western areas where there is also the chance of thunderstorms and some of the showers being wintry.

Winds will become NW 20-30kt (F6-F7) behind the front, and ahead of it winds could gust to 40 or 50kt (F8-F10 in exposed places).

Have a good day everyone, and sorry I can't join you. I hope the weather isn't too bad, but be aware that you can often get superb light on changeable days, and snow shots can be great. Just remember to check that your camera isn't underexposing if you have got a lot of white in the shot.

Bruce

We could do a check list on here on Sat evening just incase.

I think - subject to not too much snow " - I will go anyway if only for a bit of fresh air! ( no pun intended Brian )

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.