The Broads - then & now

Guest plesbit

This book?

post-143-0-43244600-1424455874_thumb.jpg

There are quite a few old Norfolk Broads books which can be downloaded for free if you search about ... here's one. Search for Norfolk Broads and Norfolk on that site and you should come up with more. Not the same as having a real book, but better than no book at all :)

https://archive.org/details/landofbroadsprat00suffrich

Carol

• 5 months later...

Whilst over at Beccles today I took the opportunity to do another couple of Then & Now's. The first one is actually revisited as I had done this view of Puddingmoor before when the new houses on the right were still being built and were covered in scaffolding. The second Then & Now was also taken from Puddingmoor and shows Stepping hill c1910 and today. Quite a lot of change gone on there! Lots of houses missing. If it weren't for the steps and the building in the background, you'd be hard pushed to identify this as the same scene.

Puddingmoor, Beccles Then & Now

Stepping Hill, Beccles Then & Now

• Like 3

• Guest unpinned this topic
  • 3 years later...

When I look at threads like this and some of the geat contributions from our "South of France correspondent" ,Jenny Morgan (Peter) and others it brings on a recurring worry that I have had since about 2005 when digital photography started to become affordable.

My worry is nobody makes hard copy anymore. I know there is Alchemy & Getty but there must be trillions of images of everyday life and places that will never be seen hidden on a drive. History is being made everyday. Yesterday is history.

My youngest son has visited just about every country in the world but his photographic record running into thousands of images is up in a cloud.

I can see a scenario when I go of my sons saying "here is dad's old laptop" and it being taken in the garden and given a couple of barrels of No4 to render it useless.

Perhaps it is time there was a depository of more recent photos of The Broads.

And what made me think of this today? Well I came across these to pictures of Mike and "Ra" when she was based at Cox's and ran out of Gay's before being consigned to the gravel pit. 2011 but Broads history none the less.

P1020811.thumb.JPG.92acc5a722255ebd296789eed27ae895.JPG

P1020854(1).thumb.JPG.e32feaae1d3421fb4c1426c1afa2daf6.JPG

P1020853(1).thumb.JPG.9ed08af9b10d50c0f3cf26195de92a02.JPG

• Like 2

If you have anything Wherry related at all, the Wherry Trust have a very active archive side which is free to access - if you have photos etc they would be pleased I suspect, to add them to the site. If you have a collection please get in touch with them.

What concerns me more is the large quantity of pictures and slides around never digitalised ( PW - have you done yours yet? ) and these will be lost,  as people get to a stage in life when this sort of thing is left to chance - they just hope they will be found a good home! And they do - the bin!!!!!!

At the Trust they know of collections, but without help, these will probably just be lost forever -  sadly!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

When I look at threads like this and some of the geat contributions from our "South of France correspondent" ,Jenny Morgan (Peter) and others it brings on a recurring worry that I have had since about 2005 when digital photography started to become affordable.

This was a worry that I had at the weekend.  My daughter wanted photos of her with her grandmother. I dug out quite a few from the albums from the 1990’s to early 2000 then suddenly,  no more hardcopy photos.  “Why arent there anymore mum?” “Umm, we must have gone digital after that and they are either on your brother’s laptop or my ancient one which I havent used for years”.  So for us there is a worrying gap and hope that these photos havent been lost. Now any I take are on my ipad backed up on the cloud but none are printed.  It was a nice couple of hours thumbing through old photo albums 

• Like 2

We have a 15 inch digital photoframe with a 64 gig sd card in and 49 gig used, thats a lot of photos.

It set to random display, the number of tv programmes we miss the end of because a photo appears and we start talking about it is amazing.

That sd card is also backed up to a portable 1 terabyte hard drive but how many hours/days it would take to sort them other than by date I dread to think.

I took 30 gig of photos on our cruise of the Baltic.

Paul

my digital pictures have been transferred from old hard drive to my server storage as i have gone along, so i have almost everything from way back, there are more backed up on cd from for example y old work pc's personal pictures were saved, my server storage is in a raid format, so recoverable if one hard drive goes down, and a further backup  is on another pc.

When my ex wifes reat great uncle died, we took the photo albums and packs of negatives and scanned them all in, copies were made on cd or dvd and sent out to all the relatives concerned. also since he was a technician at hurstmonceux he had a whole bunch of photos showing the moving of the Isaac Newton telescope from hurstmonceux to la palma, 

I took a cd with all of those pictures to hurstmonceux and gave it to them for their records the pictures have also been posted to various other interested parties and webpages, as we didnt want these historic pictures being lost

More or less finished scanning our family photos. The oldest being from the 1890s.

Still got quite a lot of Photoshop work: cleaning up and repairing to do though.

Just had a letter off GP saying with my health conditions they are advising me to stay in for another 12 weeks, so plenty of spare time to finish the pics.

Pic attached is my great grandfather probably taken sometime in the 1890s. We can't put a name to the little girl as he had 2 wives and 11 children.

1890's Sam Webster & Daughter 731.jpg

• Like 4

I have scanned all my photographs right back to the 1950s. The older B&W ones have survived quite well, but those from the 70s and 80s had deteriorated quite badly. Now they are all digital, they are quite safe and I have restored the ones that deteriorated by digital means.

Obviously, it is necessary to keep them backed up, but getting rid of over 100 albums has sure freed up a lot of space. I store them in date order.

Just to prove it, here is a photo of me from 1975 on my first visit to The Broads and also a photo which is a bit older.

Nigel Ludham

book1064.jpg

Nigel scooter 1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1