River Waveney

JennyMorgan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Interesting one is this, to a Broads 'saily'. Pre WWI, it shows a racing yacht which, in its day, had state of the art sails. The cut, even today, would be seen as good, the wing shape being well proven. Battened sail, this was a serious racing yacht. Possibly on passage from Oulton Week back to one of the other yachting centres of the day, such as Cantley. Then, as now, serious cruiser racers threw money at their boats, then it was sails, now its carbon masts!!

River%20waveney%20somerleyton.jpg

• Like 1

And a view of an old Somerleyton Swing Bridge in the background?

Quite probably, it appears to be a simpler looking structure than the present bridge. The post mark is unclear but it is certainly pre-WWI, 190?, and I think that the 'new' bridge was built soon after 1900.

If Carol hasn't seen that photo she certainly will want to, it is the first old photo of Somerleyton I have ever seen and when we had the discussion in the autumn re the Haddiscoe photo, I searched and searched online for anything relating to Somerleyton in vain.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Thanks, Iain, above Beccles Bridge always fascinates me. Must have pootled along there hundreds of times over the years but I never tire of it.

We have always hired a boat that will go through Beccles bridge, we go down past the pool and turn at the next bend and chug very slowly back to the Yacht Station, Always think back to Poolcraft and the yard that hired all the Shelties, Arrow Boats? Did that, if not going down to Geldeston Lock. Many happy memories there.

cheersIain.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I have just purchased an old photograph of what appears to be a steam boat at Seven Mile Carr. The name of the boat is Phoenix and the photograph looks to have been taken around 1880. There also looks to be two wherries and the one I can see best appears to have been converted for the holiday trade.

Does anyone know anything about the Phoenix please?

Many thanks.