Oulton Broad

JennyMorgan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Oulton%20Broad%20Bridge%20Rd.jpg

Oulton Broad, early 1900s. The shop door on the right now leads into a restaurant. At one time, 1940's/50's it was Crisp's Gents Hairdressers. As a toddler I famously complained about his cold clippers which resulted in him always putting them in the sterilizer to warm them up for me, kind man, a joke that lasted for several years!

• Like 4

Oulton%20Broad%201905.jpg

I know very little about this one except that the building on the right is where the Harbour Master's office is and that the post mark is 1905.

The chute from the loft of the building could relate to loading the wherries, coal or ice maybe. Mind you there was an ice house further around the Broad.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Oulton%20Broad%201905.jpg

I know very little about this one except that the building on the right is where the Harbour Master's office is and that the post mark is 1905.

The chute from the loft of the building could relate to loading the wherries, coal or ice maybe. Mind you there was an ice house further around the Broad.

That's a coincidence! I came across a non colourised version of this photograph on the Oulton Broad & Village History Facebook page last night. https://www.facebook.com/groups/464701787022393/

According to the info on there, this was the premises of Everitt & Son who were coal and seed importers, and coal & coke merchants. This image is pre1900 when there was a major fire where the granaries, oilcake store, mill house, elevator and engine house were destroyed.

Fabulous old postcards as always Peter.

Carol

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AdnamsGirl said:

That's a coincidence! I came across a non colourised version of this photograph on the Oulton Broad & Village History Facebook page last night. https://www.facebook.com/groups/464701787022393/

According to the info on there, this was the premises of Everitt & Son who were coal and seed importers, and coal & coke merchants. This image is pre1900 when there was a major fire where the granaries, oilcake store, mill house, elevator and engine house were destroyed.

Fabulous old postcards as always Peter.

Carol

Hi Carol, don't think that it could be that much pre 1900. I have other cards dated in the 1890's and of similar printing style.

Also see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcard#Early_history_of_postcards

I can't comment on the accuracy of the historic information - just passing on what was said about the image on there. It's not a view that I've come across before and it's wonderful to see! The elevator was very much like those seen on the ice houses and you would think possibly related to loading and unloading from wherries. It would be good to find out more about it.

The postcard could definitely be later than 1900 but could equally be an older photograph. I certainly have examples of postcards which were postmarked in the 20s/30s but were using photographs taken by John Payne Jennings in the 1880s. These things seemed to be recycled for years!

Carol

The historic accuracy comments were aimed at the site in general, not that one specific image. 

Re the ice house idea, don't know about timber being the most suitable material though. The nearby ice house had massive walls. Not to say that there wasn't a horse & cart in use!

I think that's just Facebook in general! I'm not much of a fan. It just became a necessary evil.

I meant that the elevator looked very similar to ice houses, not that it necessarily could have been one. I'm sure that an elevator could have been useful for many purposes, possibly coal if it was indeed a coal merchant.

There certainly appear to have been timber ice houses though. This is attributed as being the ice house at Surlingham, although if it is then it must be an earlier version as I have another scan of a glass negative (sadly I don't have permission to share it) which shows a much more elaborate, fully thatched ice house with an extremely sturdy looking elevator. The one below though was a fairly ramshackle looking affair!

surlingham_icehouse.jpg.74651f345cd2e3d2

• 1 month later...

1890 ish? What I find remarkable about this one is the size of the sailing coaster on the right. Compare it with the wherry just to the left of her. She looks like she is heading out to sea through Mutford Lock which suggests that she has either just returned from Beccles or Norwich. With today's strategic lack of dredging I very much doubt that such a large vessel could do either trip today.

Oulton%20Broad%20shipping.jpg

• Like 2