Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

NavPlan sorted for this coming Thursday evening.  Hopefully departing Wet-Shed at 2200, straight into a Night Nav stopping at Stracey Arms.  Sail at 0445, through GYA and onto Oulton Broad.  Should be there at around 0930 Saturday morning.  A visit to Beccles and Geldestone is most definitely on the cards some time too.  Plan to be back in wet shed by Monday late afternoon

Griff

• Like 3

Morning. Departed wet shed late at 2315. Concentration levels to the max as proper river mist all the way to Thurne Mouth. Where it eventually cleared, it was that bad in some reaches I considered putting up a few times. Alongside Stracey Arms for 0200. Sailed at 0500, mist is away. Absolutely cracking morning to be underway. Already had a mug of rum with a splash of coffee in it. 70's CD on rest of crew in bed. I'm rocking and grinning like a Cheshire. Care to join me?

Griff

• Like 10

Spent last night here at Beccles. Met 'Quo Vardi' who gave me yet another drink, as if I haven't had enough! Today's destination is Acle via a DTS somewhere or other. I'd like to call in at Berney Arms too for a look see. 1000 and it's 22c and climbing. Glad we have a breeze. We'll be underway as soon as the galley staff get back from the shops

Griff

IMG_0944.JPG

• Like 7

We made Acle about 2030 but not one available mooring to be seen so no choice but to press on. Thurne Dyke same story as was Womack Dyke, island and the whole of the Staithe. Fortunately a friend who has a riverside property near to the Staithe saved the day and we are safely on his waterfront garden. It seems to have been a long day with lots of sun, as I write this, (2330) all the crew are turned in, even Macie is spark out. 

May try for a lunchtime spot at Malthouse tomorrow before meandering up the Ant and back to base

Griff

• Like 5

It does not surprise me Griff with the number of boaters taking advantage of the long weekend, half term and summer weather.

Yesterday morning I called in at Broadsedge to put a couple of bits of kit on the boat. I have never seen it so busy, so many vacated berths and so many cars, they were even parked on the hallowed turf!!!!.

I suppose being calm the easiest option is the mud weight. Even 72 hours on a boat won't kill you. However if you have a dog with you it is a different story. Youngsters also need to use a bit of energy if family harmony is to prevail.

Personally I think some seasonal pontoon berths could ease the situation. I know hirers can use other hirers facitities but waking up in a boatyard is not really what a Broads holiday is all about.

Sounds like you have had a great break anyway.

Regards, Chris.

• Like 2