Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Well what a full on weekend that was.  I estimate we did around 125 river miles, used 88 x Ltrs of diesel, spent an arm and a leg in various watering holes, had many laughs, Macie dog had a great time, got some items attended to onboard, had wall to wall sunshine most days, witnessed lots of deck totty doing their thing.  Did not witness any anti-social river behaviour, saw no out of season fishing etc etc - a great weekend afloat all in all.

Two incidents spring to mind that are worth a mention.  Our macerating vetus w/c decided it was not going to evacuate into the holding tank in the normal manner.  One of our girly crew was most embarrassed about this thinking her 'Admiral Brown' has blocked it.  So of course sorting this out is always the onboard skippers job.  Whilst we were all ashore at Geldeston I told them I was off onboard to sort it.  It was such an easy issue to correct, two screws removed, draw forward the w/c see the outlet rubber housing twisted and kinked thereby closing off the exit path, straighten, apply zip tie - fully operational, re-site w/c, screws in place, a total of around 5 mins to cure.

Now I had an opportunity here that just couldn't be missed.  I gave myself a good half an hour onboard on my todd, got some chocolate, softened it in the sun then got plenty under my fingernails.  Went back to the table where the crew were sat enjoying the sunshine sampling the many real ales of offer. (That was Paul plus 3 x girlies and Macie Dog)  I explained that sorting out the w/c was a proper messy job, full stripdown to clear the blockage and that the latex gloves normally kept onboard were ashore back at Stalham.

'I'm still trying to get poo from under my finger nails' as I proceeded to clean them with my teeth rofl

Well, the look on their boat races, then retching, MrsG nearly crucified me when I came clean :naughty:

Did you know Norfolk, that is specifically the Broads now has a new species of feathered bird? No? - Neither did I.    Judy spotted a particular bird then looked it up in our RSPB book of British birds onboard, then proudly proclaimed that we had all just seen a 'Harsh Marrier'  that caused merriment, followed up by me receiving a clip round the Stbd Listen-out from Judy for telling her that back home around our village I often see 'Ked Rites' !

There was a third incident that was not at all funny, involved no other craft / crews but I'll come to that one in due course over on the TLC thread,

Griff

• Like 14

a friend of mine did something similar in a biker bar- he took his drink out to the toilets with him and came back in with a Richard in the drink, then proceeded to drink the drink and eat the richard. it was of course a mars bar he had mangled to give it the appearance of a richard. it gained him tons of brownie point in the local biker group though.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Did you know Norfolk, that is specifically the Broads now has a new species of feathered bird?

I saw a new bird for the first time on the Broads last week as well - it's the new Hoseasons shite-hawk on the bows of their boats.

It took me 3 days before I realised what the thing was!

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

I think you will be pretty tight. At present the forcast is for the centre of a Low 991 pretty close to Cromer for midday Thursday. Had a Monsoon here for the last 12 hours which does not help. Good Luck! On the positive we should get rid of the northerlies and get some from the South.

Normal Royal Norfolk Show weather.

'Pretty Tight'

Your not wrong, only 6ft2" at low tide earlier today. Having rang the pilot enquiring just now, he stated 6ft5" would not be until next week at earliest.  Torrential rain yesterday and again last night + sprig tides + Easterly winds. Oh well, a bad day afloat is far better than a good day on the tiles  just have to go fishing elsewhere then

Griff

• Like 1

Typical,

Here I am in the Wetshed as per the norm. One of our resident Kingfishers has just flown barely 2ft  past my dish at a slow velocity then perched on Lady Beryl's stern rope (right next to us) lovely to see, and it graciously sat there for me to admire, BUT, as soon as I pick up my camera - away with the after burners on

Griff

• Like 2

Having finished dinner, washed up for Britain one of my crew declares he is off for a brisk after dinner  stroll. Seeing as we are not alongside any terra  firma this could be interesting. Dinghy to shore? - nope, off he goes round and round the upper deck!

The things I have to contend with 

Griff

• Like 3

All crew turned by 2300 last night. Not even a DVD on our new fan dangle LED Tv was watched. 

All up and fishing by 0700 this morning and what a cracking morning it is too mirror flat water, mild, sunny with a fish a chuck. Time for toast and poached eggs. Already had a few rums with a coffee splash 

Griff

• Like 3