Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

What a great read, as always. Shame the event in Beccles fell foul of the weather but the lightning on the way down must have been amazing. I went all the way from Essex to Blickling Hall in North Norfolk once for a concert ... and drove all the way back in a similar storm. Not an experience you will forget in a hurry.

Jean.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin. Sorry to say you guys spoke to dave and not me as I was in the shower when you came back. :( but thanks for stopping and thanks for kind. I was too shy to say anything in the pub plus didn't want to disturb! First time I've seen BA too and she looks stunning glad for you and good to hear all good with the leak. Hopefully say hello soon! cheers

'B.A' overnight last night at Malthouse Broad on the mudweight then this morning moved over to Ranworth staithe when a space became available.  Early afternoon departed for Salhouse, where they spent a few hours stern moored, now spending the night on the mudweight again

Griff

• Like 1

Having spent Tues / Wed nights on the mudweiight they cruised to Wroxham today.  Through the bridge for a Port side to berth alongside the Kings Head pub

Then caught the train for a day in Norfolk's Capital city.

Back onboard late afternoon for a BBQ on the bank and overnight at the same

Griff

• Like 1

Sounded like a brilliant journey,something special about night journeys we did one aiming to stop a Acle for an early start ,but every where was chocker so carried on and were lucky to find a space at Stacey Arms which had us wondering where to go if had been full.Saw you off the Staithe when in the Maltsters trying one of their Pizzas from the out door oven,very nice.! Crossed the bridge at Wroxham tonight and saw B A moored. outside the Kings Head .Out next week after having boat safety on Monday ,fingers crossed all will be well .So will look out for any forum members ,we will be flying the flag.

• Like 2

They are now overnighting stern on at Womack Water.  Dale reports it has been raining most of the day and progressively getting heavier.

They are having an evening of scrabble playing whilst trying to avoid the drips of rain water seeping through the seam of our relatively new canopy.

Everywhere else including the windows remain dry with no leaks  -  that's good to know

Griff

The report yesterday was that they had been rained on for over 24 x Hrs non-stop and a lot of it v. heavy.  They left Womack Water after the rain had eventually stopped, then proceeded up the Ant.  Last night was spent outside the hotel at Sutton Staithe ready today for today's  diesel / pump out at Roberts place before tucking her up back at base

Griff

• Like 1

Saw her on the Wroxham web cam on Friday, have seen her in the flesh so to speak, once at Ranworth and another time at Ludham we cruised past LBBY, I was sunning myself and we actually looked at each other Griff (at least I think it was you) you did have clothes on at the time, so can't be sure :naughty: I remember thinking how stunning she is, the web cam doesn't do her justice

Grace

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A new series of Blogs are coming your way and we begin with part one where we find out what happens when a water pump seizes and one has to use your innovative skills to come up with a solution – in this case 15 litre water carriers and a watering can to flush the loo with.

None the less after a few hours in the wet shed trying to sort the problem we departed and spent our first evening at St. Benet’s moorings, we pick up the action as we begin day two where we visit Potter Heigham and Malthouse Broad.

• Like 5

Well I have to figure out how it all works, but it would effectively mean you pledge an amount of your choosing each month - then that helps support things but as a supporter you might get extra content or videos posted before the general public see them etc. 

Right now I rushed this one out and trying a new idea of 30 minute episodes, but there is some good video to come - that will be next week.

Hey Robin.

The wife and I passed you on Saturday on our way to Potter.

We were on our new to us Norman 18.5. I've just watched your video hoping to see us going past but that bit must have been edited out.

It's a lot to ask but if you noticed our boat when you were editing would you still have a clip? - the hull is blue half way up and our blue canopy was down.

Just a thought - keep up the good work.

Regards.

Mark.

II agree with your comments Robin about blogs on mooring etc, but if you put the slant of 'this is the way I do it' then it does give them impression that it might not be the correct way. But what is the correct way? In 47 years of handling boats on the broads I can only say that each situation can be different as you well know. Do your blog trying to take on board all circumstances.

• Like 2

Part Two of the adventure - as we cruise through Horning and then take a quick detour into the seemingly always serene beauty of Hoveton Little Broad (Blackhorse Broad).

Our overnight destination is Salhouse Broad, where you can see how I was able to fill buckets with water should we need to away from water hose points and took some time out giving it one last go at getting the water pump to work.

After that it was time for a BBQ of chicken and pork with potato salad, crusty bread and salad not to forget the trusty thousand island dressing.  It was, as you can see a rather chilled out day unlike some of the hire boat trips where I cram as much into a day as one can and end up on very long cruises.

*Mark I will look to see if I can see your boat but usually I don't leave much 'on the cutting room floor' so to speak

• Like 2

Hi Robin,

Lol thanks for the mention there ;) I still think it's an idea and I think you know and understand enough to do the "How to's" Who cares what they neighsayers will say ;)

Really like the 30 min episodes as I can watch in the evenings.. Although I only managed part one today.. I'll catch the second soon. 

P.s.. You need a london rascal tattoo lol! And B.A really needs a NBN burgee ;)

cheers 

Edited by JawsOrca
  • Like 2

Second one watched lol... I thought you guys where having problems with your engine water pump (I did wonder why you mentioned vetus pump on a beta though lol).. That vetus pump is probably just a rebranded jabsco pump anyway so you should have been able to source a pump on the move (aquafax would certainly have stock or chandlers would have been able to get a Jabsco one in for next day I would guess) Although most of Orca's running gear is vetus we chose to go with jabsco pumps mainly due to that availability. Anyway hope you got it sorted. If you replaced the pump you should be able to get service kits for the broken pump so if you still have it, it may be worth having a google about and keeping as a spare.

Enjoying the blogs keep them coming :) cheers 

In part three of the adventure, We decided to take a cruise down to Wroxham - for nothing more than to see what was going on then return back the way we had come to Salhouse Broad.  It was here I spotted the ice cream boat, so we duly caught their attention and I was promptly recognised and enjoyed a 30p discount.  From here we headed back down the river Bure in the lovely sunshine, Shiela taking full advantage  of this and as we passed through Horning decided to bare her Bikini to the world.

We turned to head up the river Ant, but it was simply so hectic and busy our idea about going to Sutton Staithe, or Stalham for a meal was pushed to one side and we turned just before the first warning sign for Ludham Bridge and left the chaos behind us - destination now Acle, or failing that Stokesby.

There was noticeably less boats on the Bure, and once past the river Thurne we were treated to several fast moving sailing boats coming towards us many with full sails out - we navigated through them without incident or slowing and soon Acle approached.  Past the moorings, under the bridge but alas the Bridge Inn's moorings were all taken, about turn and back past Horizon Craft I spied an ideal spot and we were soon moored and meeting admirers of the boat, and followers of the Blog - then to the pub for drinks and a meal - perfect.

Edited by LondonRascal
  • Like 5