Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Short Debrief from the Lads week.  Places we stopped at:- Stalham, Acle Bridge, Reedham, Coldham Hall, Thorpe Green, Norwich,  Reedham Chain Ferry, Stokesby, Ranworth, Womack Water, Wroxham, Horning, Thurne Dyke, St Benets, Acle Bridge, Potter Heigham.

We initially intended to visit the New Inn at Rockland Broad but a breakdown on J3 put paid to that along with no mooring spaces at Surlingham stopped that too.  Had to call the engineer out twice to the H.W's craft, Jewels and Evening Light - It should have been more but I fixed them myself.  No one fell overboard apart from Barney dog once, and Tally dog twice,  Well to be 100% accurate Barney dog jumped in over the transom forgetting we were not stern moored,  Tally jumped in once after a ball and then fell in once being too sure of hersen and her paws slipped. Diesel consumption for cruising / heating:-  J1 - 81 x Ltrs,   J2 - 85 x Ltrs,  Evening Light - 101 x Ltrs and 'B.A' 108 x Ltrs.  'B.A' had further to go and was towing the dinghy.  30 x Hrs running which equates to 3:6 x Ltrs per Hr including using the diesel heating system, I have no record of how many hours it was used.

The week was declared a success by all concerned and all 20 that attended intend participating next year.  'We are going to need a bigger boat' - Well actually what we will probably do is book the third Jewel and take the crew numbers up to a max of 24.  On top of that there will probably be a fourth hire boat with some of our sons & sons mates which will take us over the thirty crew mark, and no doubt another dog somewhere in the mix.

Inter boat games played were darts, dominoes, battleships pool, cards.  We had a 'Wet the Babies Head' night in the Stokesby Ferry Inn, where a round of drinks cost me just shy of £70 but what the eck, it's not every week ones daughter presents me with a Grandson. Fishing was of course attempted, we had a cinema night in Norwich, our custom dining out night on the last Friday

So now we calm down for the next 50 odd weeks and let normal service resume once more.

I'll get some photo's sorted in due course

Griff

• Like 10

During the week, each crew member is responsible for producing one main evening meal for their crew mates onboard whichever craft they are on.  (The last night afloat is dining out night for all crews) Some crew members elect to take their crew mates ashore for pub grub, most attempt producing a dinner onboard.  I cooked Saturday and produced roast pheasant with the usual veg, followed by Spotted Dick & custard, accompanied by red wine.  I had been invited on a game shooting a few days before the Lads week commenced and came home with two brace of Pheasant.  The days shooting produced only 6 pheasant in total (But a lot of Partridge) I shot four of the pheasants which Macie dog retrieved so at least two of the birds onboard were mine / Macies

As far as I'm aware this is the first time I have prepped Pheasant onboard from start to finish, (although I have taken it onboard before now oven ready).  Pheasants hanging in the galley received some comments as expected.  The dinner went down very well as I received a 'BZ' from my crew, and yes Macie had some left over mixed in with her tea.

Griff

BA NBN 365.JPG

BA NBN 364.JPG

• Like 4

The heating would have been on for some of the time but not sure for how long, LondonLad will be able to answer that one.  They spent a lot of hours on Sunday punching the tide from GYA through to Brundall and again with us over on the Southerns the tides weren't that favourable and we did do a lot of running over the week.  Hope this helps

Griff

• Like 1

An incident happened on our way back down the Yare between Norwich and Reedham chain ferry.  All four craft were in company punching the tide (Again) our etrex onboard 'B.A' was showing smack on 6mph and therefore as to be expected we were producing wash, not excessive as I was mindful of it bearing in mind the width of the mighty Yare.  We overtook a couple of craft, one of which was a medium size private craft, as we passed them they just looked, said nowt nor acknowledged our presence - nowt wrong with that.  However Bro onboard one of the Jewels got told that he was breaking the speed limit, going too fast and he should slow down.  This directed to a skipper with 50+ years of  'Broads' experience under his belt, 24 x years in the RN and ten years of skippering 'B.A' on and off (Bro also had a marine gps onboard accurate to :1 of a mph)  Now why would they not say a word to me onboard 'B.A' but have a go at a 'Hirer' then?    Imho it was the plain and simple hirers v privateers 'Thing' rearing its ugly head.  The crew of the private craft had no idea of the competence / experience of the hire craft skipper, nor did it matter, it was just another hire boat and that was enough evidence for them.  No doubt if Bro hand been onboard 'B.A' and me on one of the Jewels I would have received the same treatment.

Anyroadup, once we were alongside the mooring at Reedham chain ferry, I waited for said same private boat to come past us minutes later which it duly did, I got out our inter-ship communication system (Loud hailer) and politely thanked them for their concerns but assured them that all of our group were not breaking the speed limit.  I got no verbal reply but received the longbow archers salute from them in lieu.  I invited him to come alongside and repeat the gesture, this was ignored and they carried on their merry way.  This was not worth having a river rage moment (Been there done that on a previous occasion with a totally different outcome).  No, the result was a wry smile to mysen as we trooped off into the pub for a DTS.

Griff

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That could well have been so, under normal circumstances a Jewel does indeed produce more wash than 'B.A' at any given speed but 'B.A' was towing a dinghy all week (One of H.W's finest) which exaggerates her stern wave.  The other point is that we were all cruising in close company and at the same speed.  The privateer made no mention of the wash to Bro' just their speed

Griff

• 3 weeks later...

‘B.A’ tucked up in t wetshed, i’m treating mysen to dinner the Bridge Inn. Here now Broadsword and dinner on it’s way. Then drive back to wetshed, dvd, nightcap’S’ and off to bed. It’s proper cold outdoors with hail n driving rain  on and off, I wouldn’t be surprised if it snowed

Griff

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

‘B.A’ tucked up in t wetshed, i’m treating mysen to dinner the Bridge Inn. Here now Broadsword and dinner on it’s way. Then drive back to wetshed, dvd, nightcap’S’ and off to bed. It’s proper cold outdoors with hail n driving rain  on and off, I wouldn’t be surprised if it snowed

Griff

Sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite.:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

Oh gawd have I got to buy cream cakes again this week.  :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Edited by brundallNavy
  • Like 1